Thread: whats wrong? mysql query

whats wrong? mysql query

PHP Code:
    mysql_query("INSERT INTO warehouse (pname,desc,costmedia,rrp,sname,snumber,saddress,quantity,notes) VALUES ('".$_POST['pname']."','".$_POST['desc']."','".$_POST['costmedia']."','".$_POST['rrp']."','".$_POST['sname']."','".$_POST['snumber']."','".$_POST['saddress']."','".$_POST['quantity']."','".$_POST['notes']."')"); 
    whats wrong with the above query? nothing gets entered into the mysql database, but when I do this query:

PHP Code:
    mysql_query("INSERT INTO warehouse (pname) VALUES ('".$_POST['pname']."')"); 
    it will enter that small portion of data?

Help please.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Re: whats wrong? mysql query

PHP Code:
    mysql_query("INSERT INTO warehouse (pname,desc,costmedia,rrp,sname,snumber,saddress,quantity,notes) VALUES ('".$_POST['pname']."','".$_POST['desc']."','".$_POST['costmedia']."','".$_POST['rrp']."','".$_POST['sname']."','".$_POST['snumber']."','".$_POST['saddress']."','".$_POST['quantity']."','".$_POST['notes']."')"); 
    Instead of performing the query straight out, try echoing it out and see if it's a proper SQL statement.

Then try running the result directly or in commandline.

It's always a good idea to do this (especially when developing):

Code:
    mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error())
    That will display a MySQL error (different from a PHP error), if there is one.
    My evil laugh has a squeak in it.

kristopherwilson.com

Was it you who posted at GT too? A very similar question there had the same problem: that "desc" is a reserved word.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

"Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."
    - Anonymous, published by Raymond Chen

Don't PM me with your problems, I scan most of the forums daily. If you do PM me, I will not answer your question.