Thread: Sharing Drive [Resolved]

Sharing Drive [Resolved]

I have a question regarding sharing Drive(Hard disk) in XP networked environment. My disks are formatted as NTFS so they have User Permission enabled, now when I share a drive I need to assign seperate permission for the share. Now which of the permission is enforced when my drive/folder is accessed by other network users?

Is it the NTFS Permission or Share Permission or Both?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Danial; Sep 14th, 2004 at 09:07 PM.
    [VBF RSS Feed]

There is a great war coming. Are you sure you are on the right side? Atleast I have chosen a side.

If I have been helpful, Please Rate my Post. Thanks.

This post was powered by :

Ah, good question. It works like this, Share permissions come in effect when the user access the share to view data, so if you share the root of your drive will full control, and share the Program Files folder with only read, if the user goes into the Program Files share to access the folder, they will have read, if they go into the Program Files folder using the C:\ share, they will have Full Control.

Share permissions are very light for this reason, you would then use NTFS permissions to lock it down further, so if you only wanted people to have read access to a folder, and it's parent is shared w/ full control, then apply NTFS permissions that state that users can only read, then they will be forced to read.

As per usual, Deny takes priority over any allow for all of them, and not including them gives them no special permission, if they are in no way attached to a special group you add i.e. Everyone, they don't have permission either.
    I use Microsoft Visual Basic 2005. (Therefore, most code samples I provide will be based around the .NET Framework v2.0, unless otherwise specified)

Ideas Man,
    Thanks for your reply. Ok I am slightly confused. I have a drive which I have made shareable but I want to make this accessible by Admin only, so i have Set Adminstrators in the Share Permission no one else.

Now when i try from network share the normal user still can see the file. My NTFS permission is Admin full control, User View Only.

So how should i set the permission so that Only Admin has Full control to the drive, no other user have ANY type of access even view.

Thanks.

BTW: Good to see you againg replying to my thread after a long time .

Danial
    [VBF RSS Feed]

There is a great war coming. Are you sure you are on the right side? Atleast I have chosen a side.

Originally posted by Danial
    BTW: Good to see you againg replying to my thread after a long time .
    What you mean by that?

If you only want administrators to view the root of a drive i.e. C:\, delete the share you created because by default, Windows creates an administrative share for the root of every drive (DriveLetter$) Only administrators can use this share, and you can't delete it.
    I use Microsoft Visual Basic 2005. (Therefore, most code samples I provide will be based around the .NET Framework v2.0, unless otherwise specified)

[quote]
    If you only want administrators to view the root of a drive i.e. C:\, delete the share you created because by default, Windows creates an administrative share for the root of every drive (DriveLetter$) Only administrators can use this share, and you can't delete it. [/B]

No i am not using the Default share but still normal user can access my root (C:\) drive through share, they even have write permission.

I tried to access my C:\ drive from that normal account and it asked for Admin Username and Password which I supplied and I was able to view the files. Is it storing that Admin password and using that? Though I have logged off from that account(normla user) few times.

When I open a folder as admin from a Non admin account, how long the admin permission is used? Does it expires after some time, or it expires after log off/restart?

Sorry to fire thousands of question at you like that .

Originally posted by Ideas Man
    [B]What you mean by that?
    I meant you helped me out in General PC couple of times in the past, was saying its good to see u you replying. It was supposed to be "again" i typed aging. Lol. Shows that i am the one againg fast

thanks again.
    [VBF RSS Feed]

Ah, OK, lol. Um, I think you have saved the account info into the user account. Try creating another account and see if it does the same thing, don't supply the administrator details and see if you get in. If you don't, you'll need to clear the passwords. I don't think there is a time limit, rather it uses them until the don't work and then prompts you to enter the new ones.

You should be able to clear them by logging in as the user, click Start->Run->control userpasswords2->Click the Advanced tab->Manage Passwords and select the item that concerns your share and remove it.

Yep it was to do with windows saving the admin password. I got it resloved.

Thanks.

Danial
    [VBF RSS Feed]

No prob-lem-o, glad to hear you got it solved .