Thread: Opening a Status Window?

Opening a Status Window?

I have an app that runs a boat load of routines in the code behind and I'd like to know if this is possible. Can I pop a small window at the start of the routines that I can then update the text within it to show completion of each routine as it is run? If so, who has the links or code to help me out? Thanks!

HWOODKY

Why are you wanting to do this?

If you are trying to do debuging, why don't you just set a series of breakpoints at the start of your routines. Then you can use F5/F11 to step through your code. This also has an advantage because your can use the debugging windows like locals and command to see where things may be going wrong.
    ~Ryan

Have I helped you? Please Rate my posts.

Its not so much a debugging thing as a progress indication for the user. Rather than stare at a blank screen while all of this happens in the background, I'd like it to list out a single line like "Create User completed..." all the way through to the end. Is this possible?

HWOODKY

Well if you are doing the processing on the webform, you could have a persisting string and do some javascript commands between them.

I'm not positive of the exact scripts you would need to write, but here is a sample script to get your going and show you how to dynamically place a client side script on your page.

Code:
    strReportPagePopup = "<script language=""JavaScript"">alert('This is my popup');</script>"
    Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock("msgBox", strReportPagePopup)
    I hope this assists you
    ~Ryan

Have I helped you? Please Rate my posts.

I wonder how many charact
    IF you're using javascript, you just need to update the value of an element on your form. The browser will automatically update it for you, so you don't have a popup window in the user's face the whole time..
    Code:
    document.getElementById('lblStatus').value = 'User created';