Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Parksie

I live in the 1s and 0s of everyones data streams

Remembering Parksie

Since I am the unfortunate person that started this sad mess, I figure I would I should start something positive.

Though I didn’t know him personally, when you have talked with someone on forums like these for so long you feel like you do sometimes. As Cander put it, “Not like he was a friend, but when you have been on a forum with someone for years, it still feels like you lost someone you know.”

So I would like to say a few things about him and if anyone else would like too as well. If not then this is just a way for me to vent my feelings.

I can’t say I ever talked to Parksie when I was in the VB forums. But when I moved to the C/C++ forums, he was one of the people that helped me the most. He was always there to answer my questions and provide much needed feedback. With out his help I don’t know how I would have got into C/C++.

His constant ragging on MFC, got me to change away from it. It was always fun to watch someone new come in to the forum and start asking MFC questions. Parksie would always rag on them about it. The best part was he could always prove his points. He was never mean or hurtful about it. He was just trying to help.

I think he influenced my programming style in many ways. For that I will always be thankful.

Thank you for all your help. You will be sorely missed not only by me, but everyone in the C/C++ forum, and all those that have yet to start their C/C++ programming journey.

I will continue the MFC fight in your name.
    MSVS 6, .NET & .NET 2003 Pro
    I HATE MSDN with .NET & .NET 2003!!!

Check out my sites:
    http://www.filthyhands.com
    http://www.techno-coding.com

Same here - I knew of him and I don't really understand why, but will miss him too. I find it really tragic that someone that young should have a reason to want to take their own life.

From what I have read in other threads he seemed to be one of those people that always put others before himself. In my book a quality like that earns instant respect.

So rest in peace mate - and make sure you pay us a visit once in a while, even if it is in spirit
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Check out my sites:

You havent heared yet? Read the sticky thread.

Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar
    Parksie should be remembered as the guy singlehandedly responsible for the discrediting of Microsoft's Foundation Classes (MFC)

Lets hope MS has the sense to keep MFC obsolete now! Or they'll have us to deal with.

Parksie pwnd MFC!
    I don't live here any more.

In memory of parksie, I will continue the fight against MFC.

Stack Overflow

I think almost everyone that knew him in the C/C++ forum will continue that fight.

Check out my sites:

A bit of humor is needed:

Can we sue Microsoft and say MFC killed a friend?
    Stack Overflow

Something tells me thats a lost cause

Check out my sites:

Probably.
    Stack Overflow

Has anyone really verified his death.

Not to say this isn't true but I have known people in the past to pull of something this stupid because of loneliness and boredom and an escapement.

If it's true it's sad, but I find it hard to believe someone actually had the time to come on the forum and tell everyone that???

I dont know about you, but if someone died in my family the last thing I would be doing is getting on a forum and telling people ???

Fanatic Member
    As far as I can tell it has been verified true, and if so then I am sorry for everyone who knew him personally. If not... boy that parksies gonna get it

Anyway, I have decided to carry around a rubber ducky to all my classes this year until otherwise said.

Like others, I barely knew him, but I did have the fortune to have recieved some of his wisdom from time to time. I think we're better for having known him, and the world will be a sadder place for the loss. I think I'll steal one or my daughter's rubber duckies to put on my monitor. In the meantime, I've added a black armband to the duckie in mt avatar - feel free to right-click and save as if you want it.

Mike - we'll miss you, your function retyurn 0; a little too early, but when it ran, it ran straight and true. Farewell and God speed.

TG
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Originally posted by jhermiz

Not to say this isn't true but I have known people in the past to pull of something this stupid because of loneliness and boredom and an escapement.

If it's true it's sad, but I find it hard to believe someone actually had the time to come on the forum and tell everyone that???

I dont know about you, but if someone died in my family the last thing I would be doing is getting on a forum and telling people ???

It is beyond all doubt I'm afraid. Parksie was not the type of guy to pull that kind of stunt. Upsetting this many people is just so not his style. I'd imagine his pranks would have been very subtle and benign.

The sheer volume of posts in various BB's and forums on the net is amazing. You couldn't fake that.

Where have you been the last couple of days?

As far as I can tell he had apparently passed away a couple of days before anyone on this board heard about it. It was his friends that started to notify the boards rather than family I think.
    Since a great deal of people new him on the web I guess they had felt a duty to inform people quickly.

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by jhermiz

I have to agree with you here, but is there any way we can verify it?

if it is true,

I never knew the guy but he seams like he had only friends and it is a sad ocasion when anyone dies but for someone to die of this age
    it is like reading a book which stops after the the first few pages

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar
    Originally posted by Pino
    like reading a book which stops after the the first few pages
    Reminds me of "Salmon of Doubt".

Super Moderator
    Originally posted by wossname
    It is beyond all doubt I'm afraid. Parksie was not the type of guy to pull that kind of stunt. Upsetting this many people is just so not his style. I'd imagine his pranks would have been very subtle and benign.

The sheer volume of posts in various BB's and forums on the net is amazing. You couldn't fake that.

Where have you been the last couple of days?

As far as I can tell he had apparently passed away a couple of days before anyone on this board heard about it. It was his friends that started to notify the boards rather than family I think.
    Since a great deal of people new him on the web I guess they had felt a duty to inform people quickly.

arr ok

can i ask when did he actually pass away?

Why did he pass away?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Keep Smiling - even if its hard
    Frankie Says Relax, wossname Says Yeah!
    wossname:--Currently I'm wearing a gimp suit and a parachute.
    C# - Base64 Blog

Originally posted by Sgt-Peppa
    look here:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...73#post1776973
    But people wanting to commit suicide don't tell people before they do it, do they?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Didn't know there were rules for committing suicide.

Originally posted by Nightwalker83
    But people wanting to commit suicide don't tell people before they do it, do they?
    He left a note, which was presumeably found afterwards.

Pino, exactly what would convince you? We only have the internet in common with him and unless you actually go to ask his family/friends then there's not much else we can do. I know there is a great deal of misleading information on the web but I think the sheer coverage that this has got should be pretty conclusive.

Even if he did turn up and say it was all a joke he'd probably get barred from VBF. This is easily the worst thing to happen to VBF in my recollection.

Does anyone know if we are any closer to this :Parksie: duck
    smilie?

smilie?

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...35#post1777035

He left a note, which was presumeably found afterwards.

Pino, exactly what would convince you? We only have the internet in common with him and unless you actually go to ask his family/friends then there's not much else we can do. I know there is a great deal of misleading information on the web but I think the sheer coverage that this has got should be pretty conclusive.

Even if he did turn up and say it was all a joke he'd probably get barred from VBF. This is easily the worst thing to happen to VBF in my recollection.

smilie?
    I was told people don't usual leave notes before they commit suicide.

You really are thick, aren't you?
    A post brought to you by the Grim Reaper Appreciation Society™

"Buy your lifetime subscription now and save on your coffin"

Before is usually easier.

I guess it depends on what frame of mind you are in at the time. Poor guy must have been going through some tough sh*t. He should surley be in peace where ever he is now.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

You were told wrong
    Stack Overflow

Originally posted by Cander
    You were told wrong
    Can someone please link me to the note....

Just kidding...

I guess I am sorry for him and his family. Maybe he was a little aggitated...too be honest I think and I know this may hurt many of us...Computers are to blame. In fact programming is to blame as well. Before I used a computer I didn't know half the stuff I know now...

However, no one says this stuff is any good...there is a lot of weird things online and I really think the PC is to blame for many of these things. I know many times people get frustrated even over writing code..it leads to some disappointing things.

Its a lot like that teriami (cant spell) sue conjecture in mathematics. There was a chinese man years ago who could not prove it, it was his life, he could not go on living without solving this thing. He ended up committing suicide because he could not prove it. Programming / the PC I believe is the same sort of thing.

Now I know many of you will disagree, but I am talking from my personal experience, the things I Read and see have changed me. I try to avoid some of these things when I get home. He really might have been depressed because of the PC, or partially from it maybe. You just never know.

Shame the internet brings the knowledge, but also brings a lot of uncontrolled violence.

I seriously doubt his problems had anything to do with computers or programming.
    Most suicide victims are tortured by their reality or their supposed reality. A distorted view of their life, underachievement, feeling worthless, unloved, unwanted, etc...

A friend of mine killed himself over an ex-girlfriend who wouldn't get back together with him. Another friend killed himself because he didn't make the olympic judo team in 1988.

Many things are taught in school and lessons are learned through out our lives, but nobody is ever really taught to cope with adversity or deal with their problems.

For some people their problems are maintainable and fairly easy to handle, but for others they can become overwhelming, even the smallest things can seem like a mountain of pain and trouble.

I contemplated suicide when I was younger, but there was always the optimism inside me of "Tomorrow's another day, and good things could be right around the corner".

Since those days, my philosophy has always been..."Is this going to matter when I'm dead?", if not, then it isn't worth me worrying about.

I think the only thing that is going to matter when I die, is how I treated others.

I always remembered what a counselor told me when I was younger..."Suicide is a permanent solution, to a temporary problem."

I wish you hadn't done it Mike, things would have eventually gotten better. You'll be missed.
    Being educated does not make you intelligent.

Need a weekend getaway??? Come Visit

Very True

Once you're dead there is no turning back.

Originally posted by Memnoch1207
    I seriously doubt his problems had anything to do with computers or programming.
    Most suicide victims are tortured by their reality or their supposed reality. A distorted view of their life, underachievement, feeling worthless, unloved, unwanted, etc...

A friend of mine killed himself over an ex-girlfriend who wouldn't get back together with him. Another friend killed himself because he didn't make the olympic judo team in 1988.

Many things are taught in school and lessons are learned through out our lives, but nobody is ever really taught to cope with adversity or deal with their problems.

For some people their problems are maintainable and fairly easy to handle, but for others they can become overwhelming, even the smallest things can seem like a mountain of pain and trouble.

I contemplated suicide when I was younger, but there was always the optimism inside me of "Tomorrow's another day, and good things could be right around the corner".

Since those days, my philosophy has always been..."Is this going to matter when I'm dead?", if not, then it isn't worth me worrying about.

I think the only thing that is going to matter when I die, is how I treated others.

I always remembered what a counselor told me when I was younger..."Suicide is a permanent solution, to a temporary problem."

I wish you hadn't done it Mike, things would have eventually gotten better. You'll be missed.
    Don't tell me for a minute that the net has no influence at all...

That's just wrong right there...plenty of influence, I wouldn't know half the stupid, ignorant, wrong, things now if there was no internet. I've heard of some of the weirdest crap in the world because of the net. Ya sure...internet is such a great place: **url removed by plenderj** ... no nothing bad there... come on get real here...

My point was...I seriously doubt Mike or anyone else would commit suicide because of content on the internet, programming or computers in general. Suicides are reasoned on a more personal level than that.

And anyone that did commit suicide for the reasons you have stated, is probably doing society a favor, because that would just be one sick, crazy, maladjusted individual, that would have probably ended up hurting other people eventually.

There's a big difference between being mentally unstable and suicidal.
    Being educated does not make you intelligent.

Need a weekend getaway??? Come Visit

society is more enlightened now due to the internet and computers, but most of the problems can be linked directly to what is going on around you.

it's unfortunate when something like this happens, if only he would have opened up to someone, then maybe his immediate problems could have been resolved.

RIP

Now now children, lets take a look at the thread title shall we?

If you want to go off topic and argue about the good/evil nature of the internet please bugger off and do it in another thread. Parksie did what he felt he had to, its not a decision you take lightly, and personally I don't think we have either the right to speculate or ask about the why's and wherefores of his decision. Its not our business.

Just let it lie.

:mike:

$0.02

Originally posted by mendhak
    Reminds me of "Salmon of Doubt".
    Yeah you're right there. I read that book in one sitting, I couldn't put it down.

Originally posted by Wally Pipp
    You really are thick, aren't you?
    STFU.

Before is usually easier.
    Duh but people going to commit suicide don't usually leave notes.

Originally posted by Cander
    You were told wrong
    I doubt it.

Sitting w/ Bob Status: -Next -To- Null- Friend: Philip
    Wow.. I've been away from the forums for about a month or so and ........

i dunno what to say. Parksie seemed like a nice guy and always wanting to help people out.

really makes you think... you don't appreciate something/someone as much until they are gone

RIP Mike.
    :::`DISCLAIMER`:::
    Do NOT take anything i have posted to be truthful in any way, shape or form.
    Thank You!

--------------------------------
    "Never heard about "hiking" poles. I usualy just grab a stick from the nature, and use that as a pole." - NoteMe
    "Finaly I can look as gay as I want..." - NoteMe
    Languages: VB6, BASIC, Java, C#. C++

DAMNIT take your arguments out of this thread!!
    This wasnt why I started it.

Now I think I am just going to delete it.

:mike:

Check out my sites:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast