Thread: Has anyone had as much issues with SP2 as I have?

Hyperactive Member

Thumbs down Has anyone had as much issues with SP2 as I have?

I just wanted to take the time to thank microsoft for doing a bangup job on making me format my computer twice in one week with the marvalous release of SP2. Not only do many apps that I constantly use not work or cause windows to crash (i.e. Cursor XP), but many games do not work over the internet anymore (i.e. Command and Conquer Generals)

I'd like to invite anyone else to share how their computers are doing with the new Service pack. As for me, I just re-instlled windows (for the 2nd time this week) and I plan on not getting sp2

Any other nightmares out there?
    "I dont even see the code anymore... I just see Blonde, Brunette, Redhead..."

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar
    When installing SP2, you should have gotten the Sandpaper™ patch for it.

Hyperactive Member
    sandpaper patch?

on machine #2, after installing SP2, I went to Windows Update, and was going to do more updates, but when hitting Express Update, I got an error! Trying the History, same thing. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to try again. MSDN says delete the key and re-install it, but this was if it says to re-install an installed driver (not SP2). Go figure...

Last edited by dglienna; Aug 29th, 2004 at 12:20 AM.

Hyperactive Member
    what ur CD Key?

they're both legit keys. got 1 from MS on the phone for $10, but i forget which machine it was for. bought pro, and laptop has home pre-installed (which is working)

it checks the key before it installs things, and it installed for a long time before it finished.
    Last edited by dglienna; Aug 29th, 2004 at 12:19 AM.

Hyperactive Member
    well, my key is lagit from work... I just cant believe that they released a service pack with SO many issues. They even said that it would cause issues with a lot of software... it just amazes me that they put it out knowing that

mine installed correctly, because I saw the new screen about the firewall, and antivirus options when I booted up the first time.

may be that something was running that hosed it, though. if i do re-install, i'll make sure that i kill EVERYTHING

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar
    Originally posted by Ogmius
    it just amazes me that they put it out knowing that
    Doesn't it amaze you that despite knowing that you still installed it?

Sandpaper™ Patch!!!

Look for it.

Hyperactive Member
    Originally posted by mendhak
    Doesn't it amaze you that despite knowing that you still installed it?
    Thats only because im a glutton for punishment, which is why I use windows in the first place

I remembered that I cancelled the first install, and found the icon in the taskbar, so I installed it from there. that probably hosed things. a re-install may be necessary after deleting the sp2 key.
    haven't tried the new windows update today, though.
    the laptop takes longer to boot back from hibernate mode.
    SP2 is the cause of this, too!

Hyperactive Member
    Well, I downloaded the full 270MB install, and im going to try that instead of using windows update... maybe that will be a better bet

well, i saw a problem. in add/remove programs, SP2 says it was last accessed 7/17/02. I don't think so.
    I am removing it now. will try installing after a re-boot.

on the good install, it doesn't list a size, or last used date, so I presume that my assumptions are correct.
    Last edited by dglienna; Aug 29th, 2004 at 01:38 PM.

Error 0x800A00461

still no luck. sent a request to M$ for response.
    Get Error 0x800a00461 if I hit Express, Custom, or Install History. Tried a few things, but nothing works.

Last edited by dglienna; Sep 15th, 2004 at 12:47 AM.

ogmius - how'd yours go?

I tried to send a requestt for help, and something blocked uploadding system information. I tried to install SP1 for IE, and it said that the version was newer. Then I tried to install a patch for IE, and it said that SP1 wasn't installed!

Go Figure...

The machine has been unplugged for a few months, maybe it missed an important patch or something. I'll call them if they don't get back to me in the next day of two.

No problems other than not being able to hit Windows Update.

(When are they coming out with a new browser?)

Second day of support phone calls. They managed to hose my user account, so that the taskbar didn't appear. Then, I had a new account, but for some reason the taskbar disappeared.
    I got it back by disabling 3 devices. Windows update now returns a new error. 0x800A0046
    Enabling them one a a time, I have concluded that it must be my Soundblaster Live! card. I updated the driver without the taskbar, and now am having a problem disabling it again!
    I *really* think that it isn't causing a problem with Winows Update, but we'll see what happens when I get it disabled.
    M$ is calling tomorrow to continue the saga.
    I guess CreativeLabs put out a new driver last July, and another one for SP2. I may have to uninstall everything, and then start again, but that will have to wait until the WU thing is resolved.
    Getting sick of SP2 real fast.
    On another note, SP2 hosed some computer games on a neighbors machine. The box is 10 days old, and things worked fine last week. I was over there the other day uninstalling the game. It states that it doesn't work with NT machines! so I convinced her that her son shouldn't run it to begin with.
    Getting sick of SP2 real fast.

Installed sp2 without a hitch, had to upgrade ZoneAlarm first.
    After the install it recognised ZoneAlarm as my firewall and didn't turn on the windows one. It also recognised AVG as my AV.
    Haven't experienced any problems so far *fingers crossed*

The reason we have no more info from deadeyes is because his system went t**s up
    If you dribble then you are as mad as me

Lost World Creations Website (XBOX Indie games)
    Lene Marlin

LOL

I upgraded the zonealarm I had to a newer version but it locked everything off that I needed to run so I uninstalled and went back to an older version (which works fine).

As to SP2 haven't installed it as it said on ms site that around 50 progs won't work with it, including older versions of zonealarm.. :/

Vince

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

Originally posted by Ecniv
    LOL

I upgraded the zonealarm I had to a newer version but it locked everything off that I needed to run so I uninstalled and went back to an older version (which works fine).

As to SP2 haven't installed it as it said on ms site that around 50 progs won't work with it, including older versions of zonealarm.. :/

Vince
    Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? the upgrade should have kept all your old settings.

Originally posted by BodwadUK

The reason we have no more info from deadeyes is because his system went t**s up
    Don't even joke about that

If you dribble then you are as mad as me

Lost World Creations Website (XBOX Indie games)
    Lene Marlin

well, the culprit seems to be the soundblaster. installed the sp2 update, and machine froze. disabled it in safemode, and everything seems to be working fine.
    waiting from my return call. will have him help me get things running again!
    Last edited by dglienna; Sep 15th, 2004 at 03:04 PM.

i missed his calls at 1830 and 2200. hope he calls back tomorrow. (he DID say he'd call at 1500-1530) I was home until 1820!

Everything is now resolved. Soundblaster LiveDrive! software was the culprit. Uninstalled and reinstalled it, after SP2, and things are running as expected, finally!

3 weeks of headaches, though. I don't know if it was worth all that. Count is now 4 successes, and 1 problem that was resolved, for a total of 4 machines for me, and 4 for my friends that had no problem.