Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Faq (Join the creation)

Faq (Join the creation)

We are going to make a sticky FAQ here in the game section. Everybody that will have their say just post here. We need both suggestions and answers...
    Last edited by NoteMe; Feb 18th, 2004 at 08:51 AM.

This is at least a start for some questions and links:

- What language to use for game programming?

- Where to start programming games?

- OpenGL or DirectX?

- DirectX samples
    - OpenGL samples

- Simple picture box game samples

- How to use BitBlt to improve speed

- How to detect that more the one key is pressed down at the same time

Where to download back dated DirectX SDKs, I can never find them I'm looking for Dx 8.1 SDK at the moment
    When your thread has been resolved please edit the original post in the thread ()
    and amend "-[RESOLVED]-" to the end of the title and change the icon to , Thank you.

When posting Code use the [VBCode]Code Here[/VBCode] tags to be able to use the code highlighting.

I can upload my to my server if you want...

Yea please
    When your thread has been resolved please edit the original post in the thread ()
    and amend "-[RESOLVED]-" to the end of the title and change the icon to , Thank you.

When posting Code use the [VBCode]Code Here[/VBCode] tags to be able to use the code highlighting.

Where do u get them links from cos when ever I search MS always acts as if nothing existed before the current version. And its always you that I get the links from in the end. .

Hehe...it is an art to search at Microsoft.com....maybe we should add that to the FAQ...

transcendental analytic kedaman's Avatar
    some ideas:
    Collision detection
    Vector algebra
    linear algebra
    complex numbers and quaternions
    game dynamics
    artificial intelligence
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    writing haskell makes your life easier:
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

PowerPoster
    Anyone going to post any answers as well?

Yeah they are comming. But Keda. How many questions have you got about complex numbers and quaternions in the game section. I can't remember one question. And AI more or less the same thing. It was that question about path finding a couple ot times, but is it enough to put it in the FAQ (remember what the F are for..)

But collision detection was a good thing. Can't understand that I forgot that....

lol.. is anyone actually making any games here or are the just learning to use DX and opengl.. I can contribute with the collision detection if so needed
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

The statement

THERE IS NO ROTATE FUNCTION IN DIRECTDRAW!!!!! :
    If you dribble then you are as mad as me

Lost World Creations Website (XBOX Indie games)
    Lene Marlin

Originally posted by BodwadUK
    The statement

THERE IS NO ROTATE FUNCTION IN DIRECTDRAW!!!!! :
    Thats a good one. Dont forget to put next to it tho that you can use D3D with DirectDraw to get the ability .

Originally posted by kedaman
    lol.. is anyone actually making any games here or are the just learning to use DX and opengl.. I can contribute with the collision detection if so needed

I am making a game here......A space shooter game in DX8.1......and yes make a big ****ing tutorial on collision detection..

Originally posted by Electroman
    Thats a good one. Dont forget to put next to it tho that you can use D3D with DirectDraw to get the ability .

Or posting links to the 3-4 threads where there are sollutions to on how to do rotaion on the fly and how to use a ll ready rotated sprite (much faster)...

Originally posted by NoteMe
    This is at least a start for some questions and links:

- What language to use for game programming?
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...light=language
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...t=fire+effects

- Where to start programming games?
    I have two simple snake game tutorials at DeveloperKB. They are using Pictureboxes and BiBlt. Might put links to them

- OpenGL or DirectX?

- DirectX samples/articles/forums
    VB:
    http://www.directx4vb.com
    C++:
    http://nexe.gamedev.net/tutorials/main%20series.asp
    http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutoria...irectX_Pg1.htm
    http://www.andypike.com/Home.asp
    http://www.drunkenhyena.com/
    http://www.flipcode.com/
    http://www.mrgamemaker.com/

- OpenGL samples/articles/forums
    http://nehe.gamedev.net/

- Simple picture box game samples
    Still the DeveloperKP tutorial I wrote

- How to use BitBlt to improve speed
    Still the DeveloperKB article I wrote

- How to make things move using key strokes
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ighlight=arrow

Added some links to the questions that I worte....

Keep up the good work guys...
    Last edited by NoteMe; Feb 10th, 2004 at 09:53 AM.

lol.. is this going to be a tutorial, or a bunch list of links to sites that have to be mainted once in a while by note
    Use

Maybe you shuld have joined the "light engin thread - that turned out to be a faq discussion thread" a bit earlier, or posted your comments in the thread in the Forum Feedback thread or in this thread, so you can get your oppinions on what to do to make this a good thread. I think that there is a lot of answers that can't be maken by one person. Like the " what to use DX or OGL?" question. And it will have to be uppdated as long as there are getting new releases every year antway. But as you say some of the questions could be better to have a tutorial for, but then again. What about the language. This forum part is for all alnguages, and giving the code in VB or C++ would probably not help everybody with that question. What do you think?

you are absolutely right abuot the language thing, we should keep them abstracted away from DX and OGL, I tend to keep to pure math myself and not to mess with languages, because then you'd have to learn the specific language to understand what i'm trying to say. Therefore i will have collision detection explained in mathematical terms, then perhaps illustrated examples in pseudo code. I will have al look at the other threads..
    Use

But what do you think about linking to pages that has tutorials and articles about the topics? I have written a couple of starting game programming tutorials on developerkb.com. Do you think they get mad if we link to them?

Last edited by NoteMe; Feb 11th, 2004 at 02:41 AM.

Hyperactive Member
    Keda, I would really appreciate a tutorial even if its just a small one on Collision Detection!
    "Whether you think you can or cannot, you are always right."

It will come it will come. Actually he will probably make a tutorial if he has the time that explains it in theory/math. So no matter what language you are using it will work. Me and Manavo started on one VB as an Article at DeveloperKB, but since we are not allowed to post link to that one when it is finished, you have to waith and see if Keda has the time.

Update: I finished a tutorial yesterday on how to move objects using keys last night for VB. It shows two ways to do it. I have only posted it at DeveloperKB right now. But when it is time to wrap up the FAQ here I will post it some where here too, soo we can link to it....

small one and small one.. its a huge topic.. I don't know how would keep it both readable and relatively short at the same time, but I will try when i have time..
    Use

Good to hear. Just keep it simple......it is most for the ne beginners here. So 3D collison and stuff might be out of the topic...if you ever get to pull this off you will be great. Just tested Manavos collision detection code for circles.......funny, hit each other all the time when they are NEARLY near each other..

so no fancy billyard ball collision then? *walks off*
    Use

Hehe...I have always thought about that......can't remember that we thought about how that happend in Physics class. If you wrote that Even I had to read it......you are free to do what ever you want. And if you want you can even make it in more then one part. And you can add what ever you want to it later........I am not the one that is desiding here...I just want a FAQ...and I am sooo glad that I am not the only one writing for it, and helping out with questions and answers...

hehe.. cool, I think i will write starting off with the most basic collision detection and then go into special cases, like between different geometric objects, moving objects and perhaps also dealing with collision responses..
    Use

YEah that would be cool. I have to read abou this. Ar least if you are getting to collision responses. I go most of it at school, but for round objects and stuff I have no idea. Anyway. What ever you put togheter I am happy. And I am going to read it anyway. Nice to see other peoples thoughts about things like that, so I am not getting so narrow sighted...

The game loop tutorial is finished. And NOOO Keda I did not use Sleep.......just waithing for a green flag to post it at DeveloperKB.com and as always it will be uplaoded here too, when we are wrapping up the FAQ.

ØØ

I'll tidy up my 2D graphics engine and put the source on my site, cos I've lost count of the times I've saw people asking for 2D graphis engines. Me being one of them people before I got off my a*se and did it myself .

Yeah that would be nice too. Hope it is commented.. BTW I think I still have it on my PC if I am not wrong...

BTW I think I still have it on my PC if I am not wrong...
    Did I give u a copy? or was that the dll? Just cos its been a closed source project till recently I decided I would publish the source.

Yeah that would be nice too. Hope it is commented..
    Yeah thats what I'm gonna check, mind I think its pritty well commented to start with.

Originally posted by Electroman
    Did I give u a copy? or was that the dll? Just cos its been a closed source project till recently I decided I would publish the source.

Maybe it wasn't yours....but didn't you post a post about "Check out my 2D engine" or something like that way back. Or maybe it was someone elses. Can't remember. Or maybe it was just a simple example of it in use.

THis is one of the reasons why I want a FAQ...in stead of finding all the code on my PC it is easier to just point to a thread or a tutorial...

Maybe it wasn't yours....but didn't you post a post about "Check out my 2D engine" or something like that way back. Or maybe it was someone elses. Can't remember. Or maybe it was just a simple example of it in use.
    Yeah that seems to sound about right I put a thread a while back but it only had the dll and an example project. I wasn't sure if I'd gave the source to one person tho to see if they could fix one of the probs (this was ages ago so I dont remember too well).

Since that version I fixed a problem with the pixel perfect collision detection, it was a stupid mistake but the thing was it worked most the time just in certian situations I over ran into different memory and VB spat its dumby out .

Hehe...good you figgured it out....I can't find the code now. But I saw that I had an RPG engine....never tested it. Just downloaded it so if I ever wondered about anything abou it, or someone else was wondering then I could post it...

Originally posted by kedaman
    hehe.. cool, I think i will write starting off with the most basic collision detection and then go into special cases, like between different geometric objects, moving objects and perhaps also dealing with collision responses..

When we are talking baout collision detection. Have you seen this...pretty clever don't you think...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast