Thread: Argh. Distributed Apps:

Lively Member

OK I am in a nightmare world right now.

I just completed this monster application that needs to be installed on approximately 28 computers (it's an Access application, no problems there) but I don't want to run around and do it machine by machine.

So, I developed a quick and dirty .exe in Visual Basic that will copy the necessary files from the network, create the directory, etc. etc.

Only problem is that the distributed application doesn't work on anyone else's machine!

I'm getting errors left and right when I try and run it from someone else's machine.
    I've installed the necessary MSVBVM60.DLL file, but now it's telling me that the program is missing a registered COMCNL.OCX or whatnot....
    argh!

My question is this:

How do I develop applications in a VB environment that will allow end-users to operate them? It's driving me nuts....

I have the VB 6.0 Professional Edition.

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Is there some reason you aren't using the VB6 Packaging and Deployment Wizard?

------------------
    Marty

If you use the Package and Deployment Wizard, it will list all of the files that you need to copy and register on any target machines. These files will be located in the file Setup.lst. Use notepad to open it.

dmuir

i'm using the package and deployment wizard, and i'm still getting damn errors with people trying to run with program, with just about the same errors about controls not being registered.......

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Look in setup.lst. Is the dll being mentioned in the error messages there? If not, add it while running the P&D Wizard.

------------------
    Marty

Necessary files for a VB set up are:

mfc42.dll, msvcrt.dll, olepro32.dll, oleaut32.dll, stdole2.tlb, Asycfilt.dll, Ctl3d32.dll and ComCat.dll and MSVBVM50.dll

as well as any ocx's in your project.

Lively Member

The main reason I haven't been using the Packaging and Deployment Wizard:
    I didn't know about it

Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into it.