Thread: vb5 database problem, any suggestions

Addicted Member

I have an access database which is totally corrupted(?) Have tried both Access and VisData without luck. Error message is
    "The database c:\sales\sales.mdb needs to be repaired or isn't a database file."

Yes a backup would have been good, but in the new ms age clients seem to think they know better than the professionals.

Anyone got any idea about trying to retrieve the data from this file, utilities, or products which l could try.

Thanks in advance

Lively Member

Have you tried to repair it with Access ?
    Open Access, don't open the database, select Tools / Database Utilities / Repair Database. This will try to make a good copy of your corrupted database.

Hyperactive Member

I had a problem like this and imported the tables into visual foxpro and then exported them back to access and all was grand (lost some records that were knackered).

How big is the database??

If you want to e-mail it to me I will try and repair it for you (I am on dial up connection though!!)

What country are you in mail me and I'm sure we can get this data back (kind of a hobby of mine)

Have you tried it from office 2000 quite a lot of times with a corrupted database if you go up a version and import all might be ok.

also try creating a blank databse and import the tables into it.....

john_m_murphy@hotmail.com

Addicted Member

Yes l have tried to repair it in Access, but get the error message "database not in a recognised format". Have tried Access 97, importing into Excel, and VisData with no luck.

Thanks for the replies though

It's always possible that it isn't an Access database !!? Are you sure it is? Some fool could've just named it .MDB because that happened to be their initials (in fact, they're mine but that's beside the point).. it happens!

Have you tried the CompactDatabase command in code - you could try connecting to this database with the various Jet engine available (eg Access '95, Access '97 etc etc etc) - and hope one works.

------------------
    Mark "Buzby" Beeton
    VB Developer
    BuzbyB@HotMail.Com

Addicted Member

Thanks for your reply Buzby

Yes it is an Access Database. Have tried code repairs with both the compact and repair options and still get the error message "3343 Unrecognized Database Format...". Am actually trying to source a utility or something similar to try and repair the database. Currently the user is paying for the database to be re-created, but would like a solution for future reference. When and if l can get one will post it here.

Addicted Member

Hi jritchie..

Try Planet-source-code site. In search, Try Database repair or something like it.
    I'm almost sure i've came through some code that would solve your problem.

Sorry. I couldn't offer more.
    Good Luck.

Open Access, cancel the open file stuff.
    Then choose repair database from tools-database utilities(i guess). Then you can choose the database.

If you open the database it will just give you the error message but this way you can select it for repair only.

It should work.

------------------

Vincent van den Braken
    EMail: azzmodan@azzmodan.demon.nl
    Homepage: http://www.azzmodan.demon.nl

Addicted Member

Thanks Vincent,

Yes have tried this approach and still get the non-recognised format error. Am still trying to figure out what went wrong in the first place, the database would appear to be toast.

Addicted Member

Thanks to John Murphy for fixing the database.