Thread: I hope someone can help

Hyperactive Member

Unhappy

Ok, I've been gone for awhile. But I have 2 questions. One is about the Shell command.

I use the following code (which I got from this forum) to open up an application named by strTemp. strTemp's value is loaded from a database. It's part of a voice control project I've been working on. Basically, the user says something, the phrase is checked with the database and the program associated with the command is retrieved into strTemp. Now for most apps this works, but I have a TV tuner card and the TV program for it will not run. I can't figure it out for the life of me. 1/2 the time it doesn't even recognise the word, the other 1/2 it closes the app. Can any one figure that out?

MyAppID = Shell(Chr(34) & strTemp & Chr(34), 1)
    AppActivate MyAppID

Question number 2. I use code to drop the application into the system tray (also from this forum). That works great. The problem is that when I close and unload the proect, it doesn't really unload. VB still has the PLAY icon pressed. It's like it's still running but without a form or anything. The only thing I can figure is that it has something to do with Microsoft's voice controls - Direct Speech and Direct Recognition. Can anyone give me a clue? I use the same code I have with every other program and it works fine. Just in this one it doesn't work. I hope someone can help, it's the only thing that is wrong with this app. Thanks.

I can't say for sure without seeing the source code, but check out the following ...

1. Do you really need the two Chr(34) statements in the Shell statement? The code below executes just file without the Chr(34)s in the statement.

strTemp = "C:\Program Files\Editpad\EditPad.exe"
    MyAppID = Shell(strTemp, vbNormalFocus)

2. Put a break in each form unload event to see if everything is actually getting unloaded. As each form is unloaded your app will stop and show you that the unload event is actually being called. It sounds like something is getting passed over.

As I said, These may be way off the mark, but it's something to consider.

Hope this helps.

By the way... your app sounds pretty cool. I'd like to see it work sometime. Perhaps you can post it when you get it up and running.

[Edited by jcouture100 on 08-04-2000 at 08:00 PM]
    John Couture

Hyperactive Member

Smile

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try both. I'm not sure how/where to post it, but I'd like to post it once I'm done. I think it's pretty cool. If you have suggestions on how/where to post it, let me know. Thanks again.

Matthew