Thread: Profession PHP or Web Developers?

Profession PHP or Web Developers?

Are there any professional PHP or web developers out there? I'm wondering what kind of certifications or such I would need to become a web programmer?
    My evil laugh has a squeak in it.

kristopherwilson.com

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar
    well you dont NEED any.. i find that a showcase of work done (especially web) is better than certs.. if you go to an interview and they can pull up some work you have done.. that is better than saying "look at this piece of paper that says i know what im doing)

even better.. put some sites you have done in your resume..that way when reviewing resumes.. they can just pull up the sites and have a look

e-Commerce degrees may help. I actually had no degree's or certs when I started as a we developer. In fact, all I knew was HTML when I was hired as an entry level VB developer. I now write many web applicaions for the US Air force Reserve.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar
    Originally posted by Cander
    I started as a we developer.
    is that like a mini developer????

can you tell im bored??

Originally posted by kleinma
    well you dont NEED any.. i find that a showcase of work done (especially web) is better than certs.. if you go to an interview and they can pull up some work you have done.. that is better than saying "look at this piece of paper that says i know what im doing)

even better.. put some sites you have done in your resume..that way when reviewing resumes.. they can just pull up the sites and have a look
    What kind of web work do you do? What kind of lanaguages/databases do you incorporate?

I'm also thinking of getting into this field, how is the pay?

I do web development..my salary is about $25,000 (I have just over a years experience, and a Tech. degree) Currently attending school to finish my degree in Computational Mathematics.

I do ASP and PHP (primarily VBScript for ASP, JavaScript if I need some client side processing)

SQL Server, MySql and PostgreSQL databases.

Pay not that great, but good enough until I graduate.

w3schools ASP Developer Certificate

Expertrating.com ASP Certification

Expertrating.com PHP Certification
    Last edited by Memnoch1207; Jun 12th, 2003 at 04:53 PM.
    Being educated does not make you intelligent.

Need a weekend getaway??? Come Visit

Memnoch1207, are you using this site to get certified? Are these certifications recognized anywhere, and is it worth it?

P.S. your avatar is freakin me out!

No, I'm not getting those certifications, just thought it would be a helpful link to some people who were wanting to have something to show an employer.

I dunno if these certs are recognized or not? Since ASP is a M$ technology I would think that they would/could create a cert similar to their MOUS exams, but guess not.

Like my mother always says having them on your resume "Can't hurt".

I write Order and financial tracking web application's for the Air Force. We use VB, C++, ASP, ASP.NET, COBOL, SQL, Oracle, and something PHP. it all depends on the app and where it is used. Luckily the COBOL are getting phased out as we rewrite them.

I currently make 64,000 a year. 4 years experience. A cost of livng 5% raise every year, full medical and dental issurance. As well as 800$ a year towards education and conferences which I use towards the big VS Live conference every year in Orlando Florida. Doubles as a vacation too.

Plus I am asking for a raise in 5 months when this new project is complete.

So yes, the industry is profitable. But dont always count on Certs as I have none. Employers are starting to move away from lookngi for these and prefer education ,or at least good portfolios of your skills.
    Stack Overflow

As of now I have nothing either, except the Microsoft Access Expert Cert. I'm working on getting MCAD in VB .Net and ASP .Net, at least one exam will give me the MCP. I really don't care to go to college to learn a little of this language and a little of that language, while having to take classes like philosophy.

I appreciate your info Cander, have you been doing that for the 4 years?

Yep. Half way through my fifth year now.
    Stack Overflow

Arkhos, I would strongly consider college, especially if you want to be a programmer...Granted you have to take some bs classes, but most of the classes will come in handy and could open up other areas of programming for you.

Classes
    Math - I would consider math a must for a programmer, especially when considering banks and other industries needing programmers.

Accounting - Same reason as math

I took spanish and now I can program in english and spanish. Which has actually come in handy for some of our clients that want to broaden their market into non english speaking cultures.

I would consider college just for the well rounded knowledge you would get, and if nothing else you need the math and accounting for the good jobs.

I'm actually finishing my Bachelors Degree in Computational Mathematics...which is a dual degree program...its a degree in Computer Science and a degree in Mathematics.

Why? I went to an interview (VB programmer position) for a company...and they of course tested me on my ability to create a VB application. The application had some detailed math calculations in it...needless to say I completed every aspect of the application, except the math part...I didn't get the job.

I have always been good at math...just been out of practice...That interview really pissed me off...cause I had the skill, I just forgot the basic knowledge for the calculations...so I decided I would finish my degree and I wouldn't feel that stupid again!

I agree college is probably your best bet but am i goin to start my first year goin toward my bacalors in computer science. right now i have an Assocaite in computer progamming but i couldnt get any jobs till i feel into the one i ahve know.

Originally posted by Memnoch1207
    Arkhos, I would strongly consider college, especially if you want to be a programmer...
    But I don't wanna!!

I hear ya, but I don't think it's gonna happen... I don't want to spend the next 4 years in my crap-hole of a job, and the shorter 2-3 year programs require 5 day-a-week attendance for 4 hours. I'm married and want to stay that way. I looked at taking just independant classes, but they required 4-6 pre-requisites that had nothing to do with programming! (biatches) That's why I decided to concentrate on certs. A class here and there would be nice though...

Is it normal to get "tested" at a job interview?

yeah it is quite normal, i havent been tested but then again the vb job i have right now i didnt have an interveiw. but most of the ppl i talk to ahve to write a program to prove they have the concept of logic down. syntax isnt quite as important cause you can always pick that up.

yes, quite common to be tested...every employer I have interviewed with has tested me in some manner...either by having me create a functional application within a certain period of time or by taking their specialized tests...Am I the only one being tested???? Hey! that's not fair