Thread: PC overheating?

Hyperactive Member CaptainPinko's Avatar

Question PC overheating?

is the normal fan thats comes with a Dell computer strong enough to keep 2.4 ghz p4 from overheating if kept on 24/7 at room temperature (22'c)?
    "There are only two things that are infinite. The universe and human stupidity... and the universe I'm not sure about." - Einstein

If you are programming in Java use www.NetBeans.org

On the CPU, or in the case with a different fan on the CPU? If the first I'd say most definately not, if the second it's probably enough (depending on the other fan).
    All contents of the above post that aren't somebody elses are mine, not the property of some media corporation.
    (Just a heads-up)

well i;m concerned with the cpu overheating
    "There are only two things that are infinite. The universe and human stupidity... and the universe I'm not sure about." - Einstein

Originally posted by CaptainPinko
    well i;m concerned with the cpu overheating
    Total how many fans has ur PC got...???

If u have only 1 on top of processor then its not enough. If you got another one attached somewhere nearer to processor os anywhere in cabinet then should be allright.

Another temporary solution is to open some of the back card slots and leave the plates open.

I also have seen a PC with liquid nitrogen but you don't want to do that.

Cheers...

MBM5

check out a program called Motherboard Monitor 5. It will tell you what the constant temp on the cpu is. Unless your motherboard doesnt have a temperture diode. Anything less then 130*F is plenty safe. I think thats 55*C.
    Patrick Pierson

well there is no fan directly on the chip, just a heat sink, there is a second fan (NOT the psu fan) and it has a plastic sleeve that goes from this fan to the top of the heatsink i assume this is more effecient than one of those standard heat sink fans

Get a decent fan/heatsink combo for your cpu and then add another one or two fans. The more fans the better though.

but do i need it really if i'm not overclocking?

Originally posted by CaptainPinko
    but do i need it really if i'm not overclocking?
    if you are not really overclocking then get a heat sink with fan and another fan...that will be alright...

Cheers...

If you're not overclocking, you just need a half-decent hs/fan. If you are overclocking, you need a good hs/fan.
    All contents of the above post that aren't somebody elses are mine, not the property of some media corporation.
    (Just a heads-up)

Pentiums stay a lot cooler than AMDs, and are more likely to live even though over-heating.

You could even take the heatsink off the cpu while it's running and you probably wouldn't fry the chip.

I wouldn't do it. But incase it happens, you're probably safe.

If your computer is rebooting for no reason then it's most likely over-heating.

When I had my heatsink on backwards, when I launched too many intensive applications my computer rebooted with no warning.
    (Just a heads-up)

I'm with DiGiTaIErRoR Intell runs'em pretty cool you'll most likely be fine and if not then wait until you start having problems (like reboots) to find out. If it aint broke why fix it.