Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: C++ becoming outdated?

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member Fat_N_Furry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    171

    Question C++ becoming outdated?

    Hey, all. I'm a newbie in C++, and I was wondering - is there a better language than C++ to use to program games, computer or otherwise? My friend's teacher told him that C++ is being outdated by something else. What is that something else, if anything?


    Thanks!
    Rick
    Eat long and prosper!
    If someone helps you, find someone you can help.
    If you still have time, click on the darn banner up there and help the forum!

  2. #2
    The Devil crptcblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Quetzalshacatenango
    Posts
    9,091
    C and C++ are going to be around for a long time. There really is no equivalent right now.
    Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you just water down your vodka.


    Take credit, not responsibility

  3. #3
    Frenzied Member Zaei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My own little world...
    Posts
    1,710

    Re: C++ becoming outdated?

    Originally posted by Fat_N_Furry
    Hey, all. I'm a newbie in C++, and I was wondering - is there a better language than C++ to use to program games, computer or otherwise? My friend's teacher told him that C++ is being outdated by something else. What is that something else, if anything?


    Thanks!
    Rick
    Some people might say Java, though, while Java has its place, that place isnt commercial games. Phones and small devices, sure, but you arent going to have Doom 4 written in Java =).

    Z.

  4. #4
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,370
    VB and java and other scripting languages run under a virtual machine - a big ball of code.

    ANSI C and C++ run on their own. This is why they are fast and small compared with other implementations.

    I've been programming longer than you'd believe - and I'm always hearing about how languages are becoming obsolete.
    It's usually from people who don't have any perspective.

    C & C++ will be around for a very long time. Web environments are another story. They are all new. Some will make it some won't.

    I remember when Forth was a big deal. Even Postscript is based on it. You're saying 'What the Heeellll is Forth?'. That answers your question about what's cool vs. what stays around. Forth is not used to program because it has problems.

    C, COBOL, BASIC, C++ do not have those problems.

  5. #5
    Kitten CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In a microchip!
    Posts
    11,594
    Of course, if everything goes according to the plan all languages will be soon outdated by Squirrel.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

    "Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."
    - Anonymous, published by Raymond Chen

    Don't PM me with your problems, I scan most of the forums daily. If you do PM me, I will not answer your question.

  6. #6
    Frenzied Member Jop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,986
    Originally posted by CornedBee
    Of course, if everything goes according to the plan all languages will be soon outdated by Squirrel.
    Don't underestimate the power of KEDAMAN
    Jop - validweb.nl

    Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk.

  7. #7

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member Fat_N_Furry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    171
    Now that I think of it, it would take forEVER to replace C++, because first you have to come up with a better one, then you have to make it universal like C++ which, if I'm not mistaken, would take forever, right?


    Rick
    Eat long and prosper!
    If someone helps you, find someone you can help.
    If you still have time, click on the darn banner up there and help the forum!

  8. #8
    Hyperactive Member Comreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Dis
    Posts
    319
    Forever and a lifetime...

  9. #9
    Frenzied Member Shawn N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,631
    Which is where .Net steps in.
    Please rate my post.

  10. #10
    Sleep mode
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    RUH
    Posts
    8,086
    C# is the first step before getting ride of C++ .

  11. #11
    Hyperactive Member Comreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Dis
    Posts
    319
    Originally posted by Pirate
    C# is the first step before getting ride of C++ .
    I've heard C# isn't as powerfull as C++ (this came from my college professor, mind you). It'd be interesting to see how far Microsoft can go with this whole .NET thing. I've heard they've aiming at getting frameworks built for most of the major systems out their (Mac, Linux, etc).

  12. #12
    Hyperactive Member made_of_asp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    123 Fake Street
    Posts
    394
    C#'s place is in business applications instead of VB6. C# is nowhere as good as C++ (for me).

    You wouldn't be able to write games or anything withit.

    It is just another line of languages along with Java and VB6.
    VS.NET 2003

    Need to email me?

  13. #13
    Sleep mode
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    RUH
    Posts
    8,086
    Originally posted by Comreak
    I've heard C# isn't as powerfull as C++ (this came from my college professor, mind you). It'd be interesting to see how far Microsoft can go with this whole .NET thing. I've heard they've aiming at getting frameworks built for most of the major systems out their (Mac, Linux, etc).
    Managed C++ and C# are exactly the same since they use the exact .net framework classes but ofcourse with some syntatical changes .

  14. #14
    Frenzied Member Zaei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My own little world...
    Posts
    1,710
    You can write games with C#. Youve got DX9. You can write games with VB, Delphi, or most any other language you choose.

    Then again, C++ has templates.

    Z.

  15. #15
    Hyperactive Member Comreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Dis
    Posts
    319
    Originally posted by Zaei
    You can write games with C#. Youve got DX9. You can write games with VB, Delphi, or most any other language you choose.

    Then again, C++ has templates.

    Z.
    Sure, but is the game going to operate at a playable level? I don't think so. I don't know about Delphi, but VB is horrible when it comes to writing games.

  16. #16
    Frenzied Member Zaei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My own little world...
    Posts
    1,710
    Originally posted by Comreak
    Sure, but is the game going to operate at a playable level? I don't think so. I don't know about Delphi, but VB is horrible when it comes to writing games.
    Yes. If you consider that most of the "hard" work is done in the API, on the hardware, yes. I could write a graphical demo in C++ with DX8, and the equivelent in VB6 with DX8, and expect comparable frame rates, because the API is doing all of the work in both cases. Until you begin to add detailed physics, AI, and collision detection, the language you choose isnt really going to be a large factor.

    Z.

  17. #17
    Hyperactive Member Comreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Dis
    Posts
    319
    Originally posted by Zaei
    Yes. If you consider that most of the "hard" work is done in the API, on the hardware, yes. I could write a graphical demo in C++ with DX8, and the equivelent in VB6 with DX8, and expect comparable frame rates, because the API is doing all of the work in both cases. Until you begin to add detailed physics, AI, and collision detection, the language you choose isnt really going to be a large factor.

    Z.
    And there aren't many games that are pure graphics. I think the common consensus though, is that most modern full fledged games are writen in C++.

  18. #18
    Kitten CornedBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In a microchip!
    Posts
    11,594
    You can write graphical demos in .Net or VB6, but not commercial games.

    Managed C++ and C# are exactly the same since they use the exact .net framework classes but ofcourse with some syntatical changes .
    But we're talking about normal C++ vs. .Net languages. And Managed C++ includes the interoperability in a way that no other .Net language does.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

    "Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."
    - Anonymous, published by Raymond Chen

    Don't PM me with your problems, I scan most of the forums daily. If you do PM me, I will not answer your question.

  19. #19
    Hyperactive Member Cmdr0Sunburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    g0t r00t?
    Posts
    461
    i know a couple games written in asm!
    I know a lot oF Vb, expert in C++, and i think in assembly.
    MSVC++6.NET
    vb6
    masm
    Windowz Xp
    I find my self using this a lot in C++

    __asm {
    }

  20. #20
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,004
    Instead of looking at what is going to replace what, you should look at why the language was created, how well you can express an idea in a PL (programming language,) and how easily can you read the PL.

    What you find that is that compiled languages (like C++) give you the speed that you need for demanding applications, hybid PL (like Java) give you the flexibility to span across platforms, and intrepreted PL (like LISP, yes that horrible PL that MIT created) has merit in the more complex applications (like AI.)

    It comes down to the right tool for the right job.

  21. #21
    Monday Morning Lunatic parksie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Mashin' on the motorway
    Posts
    8,169
    Other languages for embedded systems tend to be fairly specialised as well. For example, PostScript is stack-based, so you minimise the processing needed on the printer, replacing it with logic on the client end. Since PS is normally auto-generated, it's not a problem.

    Although it's quite a pretty language to hand-code in, actually...
    I refuse to tie my hands behind my back and hear somebody say "Bend Over, Boy, Because You Have It Coming To You".
    -- Linus Torvalds

  22. #22
    Hyperactive Member made_of_asp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    123 Fake Street
    Posts
    394
    You just gotta pick the right langauge for a right job. e.g. Services - C, Portable Applications - C++, DB Interfaces - VB6 or .NET.
    VS.NET 2003

    Need to email me?

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    16

    Re: C++ becoming outdated?

    C++ the language will be relevant for a very long time, because it is used for the most expensive and high-quality games

  24. #24
    Frenzied Member Shawn N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: C++ becoming outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmarkgilbert View Post
    C++ the language will be relevant for a very long time, because it is used for the most expensive and high-quality games

    Wow almost 20 years later.
    Please rate my post.

  25. #25
    Hyperactive Member Peter Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476

    Re: C++ becoming outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarkgilbert View Post
    C++ the language will be relevant for a very long time, because it is used for the most expensive and high-quality games
    Wow almost 20 years later.
    Probably didn't say "No" to drugs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width