Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popups

Popups

This damn popup "Study Invite" is starting to piss me off. Everytime I go to a new page, there it is! I thought we weren't going to have popup ads?

Let me guess: it's just for a few days! Incompetent. I've said it once, but I'll say it again.
    My evil laugh has a squeak in it.

kristopherwilson.com

You should only get the pop-up once. If you click yes or no, it should never show again. If you close the window without clicking one of these, then it will return.... (Just say No)

(Although if you have cookies turned off you may get it again; however, if you are using vBulletin -- this forum -- then you probably have cookies on anyway)
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

What does "we wont use popups" mean?

kristopherwilson.com

Does this also have to do with the anoying 2nd browser window opening and closing really fast?
    $is$ it$ really$ worth$ it?$
    I'm off to GalahTech, hope to see you there.

If you don't like the rules they make, refuse to play their game. -- Steve Ignorant.

JupiterMedia strikes again...

You guy's are so much fun without you where would i get my daily dose complete incompetency.

ROFLOL

Originally posted by brad jones
    You should only get the pop-up once. If you click yes or no, it should never show again. If you close the window without clicking one of these, then it will return.... (Just say No)

(Although if you have cookies turned off you may get it again; however, if you are using vBulletin -- this forum -- then you probably have cookies on anyway)
    Have you talked with your tech guys about this?

The ad continues to pop up when you click no, although it disappears right away. What's the problem, then?

Say I'm typing in another window...then the popup comes up and disappears. I then loose focus for the window I'm typing in for a few seconds, so my text gets truncated in the middle.

That's very annoying, and seriously making me consider ignoring these forums until I notice it's gone away.

Check with your tech guys again, Brad. Tell them that if they're checking for the cookie in the popup, they might want to check for it BEFORE they launch the popup because of the problem I've described here.

And I'm still very upset that there is a popup...

kristopherwilson.com

Man things were getting quiet, and I thought maybe they had their act together finally! Guess not. This forum out right sucks!
    I drink to make other people more interesting!
    [vbcode]On Error GoTo Bar[/vbcode]
    http://www.monsterlizard.com

Yes that pop up doesn't go away even when you answer and its more than a bit annoying. Please do something about its constant appearance its bothersome.

Pop-up stopper might solve your problems

I'll run these concerns by the jupitermedia tech staff to see if there is an issue with the pop-up. My understanding is that once you select yes or no, a cookie is written and you should not see the pop-up again.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

Hyperactive Member
    what popups? Im not getting any popups for some reason. Maybe they don't like me.

No, I don't have any popup killer installed.
    OrdinaryGuy

What happened to your post hobo?

If you don't like the rules they make, refuse to play their game. -- Steve Ignorant.

Originally posted by msimmons
    What happened to your post hobo?
    I've been being bad lately and getting in trouble, so I figured I'd PM the message to Brad instead of taking a chance with it.

kristopherwilson.com

Originally posted by The Hobo
    I've been being bad lately and getting in trouble, so I figured I'd PM the message to Brad instead of taking a chance with it.
    ahh... I thought you were censered... want me to remove my quote referrence to it then?

Originally posted by msimmons
    ahh... I thought you were censered... want me to remove my quote referrence to it then?
    Only if someone asks you to.

kristopherwilson.com

Originally posted by OrdinaryGuy
    what popups? Im not getting any popups for some reason. Maybe they don't like me.

No, I don't have any popup killer installed.
    Any chance you are using Mozilla?
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member
    Originally posted by techgnome
    Any chance you are using Mozilla?
    nope IE6. strange
    OrdinaryGuy

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar
    Are you guys still seeing the pop-up? As I understand it, it is/was programmed to disappear after 200 responses and I don't see it anymore. Maybe I answered No, but I don't remember.

Originally posted by MartinLiss
    Are you guys still seeing the pop-up? As I understand it, it is/was programmed to disappear after 200 responses and I don't see it anymore. Maybe I answered No, but I don't remember.
    I answered No and never saw it again.

I still see it, and I answered no.

Reload the page and watch the taskbar. I'm using IE5.5 and I see it for a split second, then it disappears.

I looked at the source, and it opens it with instructions to close it right away.

And I've already outlined the problem with that, above.

kristopherwilson.com

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar
    You're right! I didn't notice that. I did notice however that my VBF session would flash several different colors before settling down each time I change to a new page. I'm going to take this up with Brad.

What happened to the promise of no Popups brad?? "As the community doesn't like it" or something like I believe u said.
    Don't Rate my posts.

Sometimes it appears and disappears in the taskbar,
    half the time it appears in the taskbar and gets stuck with this:
    Code:
    Technical Information (for support personnel)

Background:
    The gateway could not receive a timely response from the Web site you are trying to access.
     This might indicate that the network is congested, or that the 
    Web site is experiencing technical difficulties.

ISA Server: ########
    Via: 
    URL: http://invite.ke2.informative.com/i....=i&i=P&CLOSE=1
    Time: 2/13/2003 9:00:44 AM GMT
    I have to right click and close to get rid of it.

I wouldn't worry about that...they don't really care how it works, or the affect it has on you.
    Don't Rate my posts.

I think maybe they should join this forum and post a thread asking how to do something properly

Retired VBF Adm1nistrator plenderj's Avatar
    Regarding people's points that it is a popup ad, it's not.
    It is a popup window doing a survey - even the Microsoft site does that.
    Granted some feel it could have been implemented better - but it was not a popup ad.
    Microsoft MVP : Visual Developer - Visual Basic [2004-2005]

Those popups are *******irritating. When i'm writing some reply's or threads those stupid popups apear, and typed all the words for nothing coz my IE lost focus
    There's a certain mystique when I speak, that you notice that it's sorta unique, cause you know it's me

IE loses focus for a split second.
    You just wait a tiny bit before typing, and hey presto it works just fine.

Originally posted by Pc_Madness
    What happened to the promise of no Popups brad??
    There are no pop-up ads and I'm still being told that there should never be pop-up ads. This is a survey that is being done over a few days to learn the demographics of who is coming to this site. This will help in both, selling better ads for the site and in better targeting future content.

This survey has been used on a large number of sites. Ironically, this is the first site that we have had people encounter problems. On other sites, once people clicked Yes or No in the pop-up, it went away and didn't come back. (People clicking the x to close the dialog will continue to see the pop-up until they say Yes or No). This survey will only run for a short time and then it will go away. On other sites that I'm involved with for Jupitermedia, this survey has only ran once in the last two years.

==> Everyone: <==

If you clicked YES or NO and are still having trouble, do me a favor, let me know what browser you are using and what version (for example IE 5.0). If you are not sure of the version, click the help menu item and select the About... option. There are a number of people looking into this; so the more specific you are on this, the quicker they will resolve it.

thanks
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

If you clicked YES or NO and are still having trouble, do me a favor, let me know what browser you are using and what version (for example IE 5.0). If you are not sure of the version, click the help menu item and select the About... option. There are a number of people looking into this; so the more specific you are on this, the quicker they will resolve it.

thanks
    It is not a matter of browsers, Brad. I PMed you the source. It's the methodology behind it. It is setup so that it will launch the popup with instructions to close it right away.

When I caught the popup and managed to view the source, it had one thing in it:

Code:
    <script>self.close();</script>
    As I said, it isn't a browser issue.

Jamie: You honestly thinking waiting for a few seconds is the best solution? I don't want to have to pause all activity on my computer for a few seconds just because there's a popup loading that's going to close.

Wait a few seconds? Would you tell a client that? "I know I made bad software, but just wait a few seconds each time you press the button. It'll fix itself."

No. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like that.

kristopherwilson.com

Jamie: You honestly thinking waiting for a few seconds is the best solution? I don't want to have to pause all activity on my computer for a few seconds just because there's a popup loading that's going to close.

Wait a few seconds? Would you tell a client that? "I know I made bad software, but just wait a few seconds each time you press the button. It'll fix itself."

No. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't like that.
    I didn't say a few seconds.
    I said a split second.

And yes I would tell a client that.
    For a little while this thing that is only slightly irritating will happen, and then in a few days it will be gone.

You don't see me moaning and complaining about the popup do you ?

Originally posted by plenderj
    I didn't say a few seconds.
    I said a split second.

And yes I would tell a client that.
    For a little while this thing that is only slightly irritating will happen, and then in a few days it will be gone.

You don't see me moaning and complaining about the popup do you ?
    It's not a split second on slower machines with slower connections...

And you would lose a lot of clients, I'm sure.

I'm not going to continue to argue with you. I know you've never liked me, and I've kept my feelings about you becoming a moderator to myself. I don't feel like opening that can of worms.

Good day.

kristopherwilson.com

And you would lose a lot of clients, I'm sure.
    Well then you obviously don't have a lot of experience in professional software development.
    Users will put up with a lot if an application is helping them to do something.

Users will put up with things, if there is no other way. But in this case, we all know you can check for the cookie before the popup opens. That is not just a better way to do it, that is the right way.

There are no pop-up ads and I'm still being told that there should never be pop-up ads. This is a survey that is being done over a few days to learn the demographics of who is coming to this site. ....
    By definition, it uses Popup coding, so that makes it a popup.

It also, requests a user to go to location of the survey, hence advertising the existence of the Survey.

Sorry, but in my mind, its a Popup ad

I'm running a Celeron 1.1 and it stays up for 5 - 10 secs when it fails to load the next page.

You should be advertising this Survey using an "Important:" thread, as it would recieve far better results, although, it really should be restricted to Forum Feedback as well.
    Don't Rate my posts.

Originally posted by Pc_Madness
    By definition, it uses Popup coding, so that makes it a popup.

It also, requests a server to go to this site, hence advertising the existence of the Survey.

Sorry, but in my mind, its a Popup ad

I'm running a Celeron 1.1 and it stays up for 5 - 10 secs when it fails to load the next page.

You should be advertising this Survey using an "Important:" thread, as it would recieve far better results, although, it really should be restricted to Forum Feedback as well.
    I totaly agree, it should just be a thread. The more they do this kind of stuff, the less this will become a community message board.

This should be a one time survey -- again to get an idea of who is here at this forum.

I never said it wasn't a pop-up. I said it wasn't an ad. It did not try to sell you anything. Rather it gathered information. There are a number of reasons I could list why posting this as a thread would not have been the correct thing to do to gather this information; however, that will lead to an entirely different discussion that ultimately most of us won't care about.

Earlier today I talked to the person responsible for the survey as well as the tech people. At that time they were taking the survey down. At this point in time (and for the last seven hours or so, you should not have seen it. It should be gone.

If any of you are still having problems, let me know.

Time to find a new item to grumble about.... How about that goofy 125x125 ad that is now up there...... (I'm already trying to figure out what the deal is with it, so no use in writing more messages about it too ).

Brad!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

Well, its advertising the survey, did u miss my post?

Advertisments aren't something that is necassarilly going to make money out of... for example I could advertise a thread in all of the other forums to get an answer.

If u like to hear more from the Madness Business Management Class, please call someone who cares.
    Don't Rate my posts.

Earlier today I talked to the person responsible for the survey as well as the tech people. At that time they were taking the survey down. At this point in time (and for the last seven hours or so, you should not have seen it. It should be gone.
    Just out of interest Brad, how many people completed the survey?
    Martin J Wallace (Slaine)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast