Thread: Autorun VB app

PowerPoster

Thanks for reading...hello

I have made an app that I intend to have autorun when the CD is inserted. It's a kind of "What would you like to install" app. Trouble is, it requires VB runtime files, which the computer may or may not have.

I've looked around and found you can simply include them where the exe is on the CD, BUT if the computer does already have them in Windows\System, it will use them. That's cool but not if they are an OLDER version, it might mess up.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can do to solve this. It's quite important and surely other people have come across this as everyone uses autorun these days!

Could I, for example, make a batch file that copies the runtime files to windows\system first, overwriting any older version ones, and then it run's my app. If so, does anyone know how to make a batch file to accomplish this?

Thanks for your time, much appreciated

Kind regards,

------------------
    - Chris
    chris.kilhams@btinternet.com
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it

[This message has been edited by chrisjk (edited 11-29-1999).]

It is my understandinng that the executable looks for runfiles in the current directory first before searching any PATH directories.

I have released an app on CD (approx 400 copies) with the runfiles on the root of the CD with no conflicts reported.

------------------
    Mark Sreeves
    Analyst Programmer

Mark.Sreeves@Softlab.co.uk
    A BMW Group Company

Hyperactive Member

I think Mark is right...
    Also me thinks that some people might get pretty upset if a a batch started overwriting files (...without confirmation)

[This message has been edited by Inhumanoid (edited 11-30-1999).]

PowerPoster

Sure they may get upset, but other people have reported this conflict of version problem. I guess it wouldn't hurt to put the runtime files where the exe is and hope for the best!

Thanks for those replies...

Regards,

------------------
    - Chris
    chris.kilhams@btinternet.com
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it