Thread: What's happening to our BB??

PowerPoster

This used to be a friendly and nice place to pick up a few helpful bits of code and learn from each other. Lately however, I have noticed the tone of communication has become almost barbaric!

Come on people, be at least civil to each other. You have people telling others to get a life, you flame anyone who dares ask a simple question that all you techy wizzes could do with your eyes closed, and you're general talk to each other is like you have a gun to you head or something.

I know there are a lot of people who are annoying (like those who put URGENT URGENT MUST BE DONE BY TODAY!!! in the title, and others who don't even say thanks etc) but we need to get on. What's the point in clogging up the BB with useless crapy aurguments and spoil the party for the rest of us.

Show some sanity please.

I'm sure the majority of descent and very willing members will agree with me.

Sort it out - for all our sakes!

Regards and peace,

- Chris

You are joining and clogging it up yourself posting messages like that which in turn will also create more arguments

Regards

------------------
    Quadrex
    webmaster@quadrex.f9.co.uk
    Quadrex Programming

Hyperactive Member

I kinda agree.. but on the other hand, flaming ppl who ask questions which can be answered by pressing F1 in VB or using the search feature this board has, at least points the ppl to the answer.. they go find it by themselves.
    And it gives us something to read ;-)
    But being polite is never a bad thing, not in real life, not online.

My first topic was just posted and I've already received a response. That's great! Speaking for myself, I'll spend countless hours trying to figure out a solution--viewing various topics in help, looking through the 3 books I have. Unfortunately, although the solution may be simple, it isn't to me. Therefore, any help received is really, really appreciated.

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

I've posted the answers to 300+ questions (several people have responsed to many more than that), and even though several times I've wanted to say "The answer is in Help you dummy, just take 1 minute and do some research for yourself!, I've refrained 99.9% of the time. There is one person out there whose name I won't mention however, who asks question after question, all or most of which can be solved by looking in Help, and all having the Help-me-it's-an-emergency type of Topic, and I have to admit that I've (mildly) flamed him/her once or twice. Sorry about that.

------------------
    Marty

Hyperactive Member

MartinLiss... I agree. I think you mean XxEvilxX. Is anybody threatened by that name: Evil?

------------------
    Tom Young, 14 Year Old
    tyoung@stny.rr.com
    AIM: TomY10
    PERL, JavaScript and VB Programmer

PowerPoster

Guys - you seemed to misinterpret me. I meant by "you flame anyone who dares ask a simple question that all you techy wizzes could do with your eyes closed" that the answer may not be in help, but the answer is simple. For example, someone may say "How do I get MkDir to create mulitple diectories at once?". The answer isn't in help - I know - I've looked, so I had to go writing my own function to do it. Now a newbie to VB wouldn't have a clue, so they would ask. Simple for some - not for others.

Of course those who do not even BOTHER to look in help and ask questions like "How do I change the Startup position" should be shot down, but show patience with others who have tried and are genuinly stuck.

It only takes a moment to be pleasant - and yes I did "clog" up UBB by writing this, but 1 post to try and gain order is better than 1000 pointless aurguments, agreed? After all Quadrex, you didn't HAVE to respond to the original post, but you felt inclinded to do so. My point exactly.

Hopefully that has cleared a few things up.

Regards,

------------------
    - Chris
    chris.kilhams@btinternet.com
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it

[This message has been edited by chrisjk (edited 11-28-1999).]

Addicted Member

I, for some time, was a programming teatcher and I feel like this board as a group job.
    Some knows more then others and some make stupid or F1 like questions. My experience tells me that you should answer stupid questions allways (because it is from someone who doesn't get a clue) and respond a F1 question with a F1 answer like: "Maybe you should press F1 to see a detailed answer.". And never to answer if you are not 100% sure (althought I did it once or twice).

Peace.

------------------
    Jorge Ledo
    j_ledo@hotmail.com
    Portugal