Thread: Manufacture Keystrokes...

Hello...

Is there a way to send keystrokes to another program? Especially to IE 4... Trying to fill out a form for a query and save the results of the form.

The site in question is: http://www.auslig.gov.au/geodesy/astro/smpos.htm

Is there a more direct way of doing this?

Scott

Lively Member

Hi Scott,

Here are a couple of ideas for you to try:

1) Use the AppActivate statement to activate IE4 and the Sendkeys statement to send keystrokes.

2)Use the WebBrowser control. You can use the SendKeys statement to send the keystrokes to the page.

In either case, you need to count tab keystrokes to navigate around the web page and then code for this in your program.

I've been working on a similar project, so I should be able to help if you have further questions.

All the best.

Chris

When you see a web page with an HTML "FORM" and you "View its Source" (from the browser menu), you'll see the HTML tag "FORM" such as
    <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="//geodesy.auslig.gov.au/CGI/www.exe/CGI/smpos.cmd">
    for your particular site.
    In VB, if the Inet control or the Winsock control would work as advertised, you would perform a "POST" operation setting the appropriate variable names with appropriate values. Watch out for the hidden names, the CGI "script" may be looking for those.
    Others on this forum can help you with the code, I've been unsuccessful with VB's Inet & Winsock using the advertised HELP information. But I've also seen patches on MS's site, implying that MS got away with selling another program which doesn't work even according to their own instructions.