Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Forum rules

New Forum rules

By posting, you hereby grant us a perpetual, exclusive license to the posted content for use online, in print, databases, CD, and any and all other media, whether now known or hereafter created.
    We will make money out of you helping people

You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.
    we don't want the material that we package up and sell without checking to be tosh

You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harrass, threaten, nor attack anyone.
    fair comment

You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.
    only post if you are a monk

You will respect other people's right to personal privacy and will not post any other person's identifying information (including their names, contact information, and any other relevant information) within the forum but your own.
    although there is the data protection act to adhear to, we are gonna make money out of you from point one, so we'll be nice

You will not use these forums to violate any laws nor to discuss illegal activities.
    you will respect my authority (Beefcake)

[quote]
    You will not to impersonate any person or entity, forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any posting, nor collect or store personal data about other users.

You will not post any copyrighted material, nor link to any copyrighted material (with the exception of publicly available sites and pages that the legal owners of the copyrights have created to make that material freely available to the general public), unless that copyright is owned by you or by these Forums.
    again, go back to point one

You will not use these Forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems.
    Ok about the viruses, but the rest go's back to point one

You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations, all of which are inappropriate and prohibited in the Forums. You will not, furthermore, collect personal information about forum members for the purpose of sending them any such advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations through other means (email, messaging programs, etc.).
    but we will quiete happily post up banners and the like, which we will get money for

You will not post messages that are clearly outside of the stated topic of any Forums nor disrupt a forum by deliberately posting repeated irrelevant messages or copies of identical messages (also known as "flooding").
    Where's Noah when you need him

You will not attempt to access any protected sections of the sites or Forums, nor make use of any hacks, cracks, bug exploits, etc. to bypass or modify the features of the forum software at any Jupitermedia site.
    fair comment

You will, if asked by a representative of the Forums, cease posting any content, and/or links to content, deemed offensive, objectionable, or in poor taste by the staff of the Forums.
    Oh well, there goes chit-chat
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Everyone except Simonm are now banned

You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.
    *backs off*

*packs bags*
    My Spidey senses are tingling!

If we want to use profanity can we use sensors or speak it in 1337 or CYRI or filter it with those?
    53323737 15 743 313402 05 740313063. 17 15 4150 743 313402 05 140393403437 5203 743 30210.

Hyperactive Member
    that means no more cussing and calling Ranj a f u c king homo?
    OrdinaryGuy

Retired VBF Adm1nistrator plenderj's Avatar
    Well those are the rules yes.
    One must always cover one's own ass.
    Microsoft MVP : Visual Developer - Visual Basic [2004-2005]

Originally posted by OrdinaryGuy
    Mammary Gland
    Martin J Wallace (Slaine)

What will I do with my excess flirting? Just let it go to waste?
    My Spidey senses are tingling!

Originally posted by Flustor
    What will I do with my excess flirting? Just let it go to waste?
    Just point it all in my direction

When does this go into effect? or has it already?
    I'm off to GalahTech, hope to see you there.

If you don't like the rules they make, refuse to play their game. -- Steve Ignorant.

I'm not convinced about the "use of posts" thing. So does that mean they own the content of posts I've made?

I've posted code on this site that's taken a lot of effort to write, and I have no doubts that a significant number of other people have put a lot of time into this as well.

If they want to make a profit out of this they should have asked us *first*.
    I refuse to tie my hands behind my back and hear somebody say "Bend Over, Boy, Because You Have It Coming To You".
    -- Linus Torvalds

As far as I am concerned I am the copyright owner of all code I have posted. Any use of it without my express wishes will be considered a violation of that right.

Hyperactive Member
    Originally posted by parksie
    I'm not convinced about the "use of posts" thing. So does that mean they own the content of posts I've made?

I've posted code on this site that's taken a lot of effort to write, and I have no doubts that a significant number of other people have put a lot of time into this as well.

If they want to make a profit out of this they should have asked us *first*.
    well its nothing new though, PSCode.com does the same thing. I brought up this issue sometime ago, but everyone seemed to disagree w/ me then
    OrdinaryGuy

Hyperactive Member
    pscode.com sells CDs with the source code of other people
    OrdinaryGuy

When we found out about that before I don't think people were too impressed either
    I refuse to tie my hands behind my back and hear somebody say "Bend Over, Boy, Because You Have It Coming To You".
    -- Linus Torvalds

pscode.com sells CDs with the source code of other people
    Not mine they don't

when I posted my code to this forum there was no such agreement in place. I can accept that from now on my posted code is not my property and not post stuff i don't want them to have, but they shouldn't retroactively enforce it.

I'll address what seems to be a big issue:
    Any code -- unless you sold it to VBWorld/VBForums -- is owned by the poster.

In honesty, if we automatically grant you a license, shouldn't we draw up an EULA for the posted code and the code we will post in the future ?

I mean, I submit what is still my code but you get de facto a license for it. Shouldn't it be us who decides what you may and may not do with your copy ? Shouldn't we be consulted first and asked permission before you go off using it ?

It could be that this is what you mean to do with the submitted code but I just wanted to ask
    A post brought to you by the Grim Reaper Appreciation Societyâ„¢

"Buy your lifetime subscription now and save on your coffin"

Originally posted by brad jones
    Thankyou

Call me what you want you donkey rapist.
    The liver is bad. It must be punished.

Originally posted by plenderj
    Just point it all in my direction
    don't forget me!

okay, henceforth you're known as "What you want you donkey rapist"

Bit of a long name but we'll survive.

We'll shorten it to WYWYDR

So WYWYDR, how's tricks these days ?

Originally posted by RSINGH
    Call me what you want you donkey rapist.
    Now, let's clarify...Is that a raper of donkeys or a donkey that's a rapist?
    Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you just water down your vodka.

Take credit, not responsibility

Originally posted by brad jones
    "Owned". Doesn't necessarily mean someone won't use it.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Originally posted by Wally Pipp
    okay, henceforth you're known as "What you want you donkey rapist"

Bit of a long name but we'll survive.

We'll shorten it to WYWYDR

So WYWYDR, how's tricks these days ?
    Doh!!

So how's you then mate ?

Not bad mate - actually very well. Just incredibly busy at the mo' with a huge systems integration project. et toi?

I beleive that with these new sets of rules, it should be required that we reregister, thus "consenting" to these new rules.

Also, since the rules make what we post brads property, then couldn't it be a chargable offense if we delete posts?

Anyways, if these rules go into effect, verbatum, I will delete all my posts, then happily go to one of our other ex-members sites.

BTW, "personal information", if I called someone by there true first name, that could be a chargable offense it would seem.

-Lou

Moi is settling in a midlife modus operandi
    Intense meditation techniques paired with a general "fook it" attitude makes life easier.
    Still busy, busy, busy. Project has gone in overdrive.

Still, can't complain really

Originally posted by msimmons
    When does this go into effect? or has it already?
    No one wants to tell you dude, sorry.

If you don't like the rules they make, refuse to play their game. -- Steve Ignorant.

Originally posted by msimmons
    No one wants to tell you dude, sorry.
    Well the buyout is complete, so I would guess that it all takes effect pretty-much-so immediately...?

You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.
    So if someone asks something stupid like: 'How do I write in virus?', we cant tell them to open a Dos prompt, type del *.*, and that will show them how?

Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

Last edited by MasterBlaster; Nov 21st, 2002 at 05:31 PM.

You just entered a warzone MB. j4u got banned and all hell broke loose!
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

Originally posted by NotLKH
    I beleive that with these new sets of rules, it should be required that we reregister, thus "consenting" to these new rules.

Also, since the rules make what we post brads property, then couldn't it be a chargable offense if we delete posts?

Anyways, if these rules go into effect, verbatum, I will delete all my posts, then happily go to one of our other ex-members sites.

BTW, "personal information", if I called someone by there true first name, that could be a chargable offense it would seem.

-Lou
    I have to agree here... I wont be posting anything new from here on, and I wont be posting code.

Z.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; Nov 21st, 2002 at 05:31 PM.

By "new" i was referring to anything ive written, etc. I wasnt saying I wont post anymore (perhaps).
    No, this first thing scares me....
    By posting, you hereby grant us a perpetual, exclusive license to the posted content for use online, in print, databases, CD, and any and all other media, whether now known or hereafter created.
    Exclusive?

I do realize that the rules are general, and must cover serveral sites, spanning several, and not necessarily related topics. However, It sounds very much like "All your post are belong to us".

Z.

Where the smeg are these "new" rules???
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Techinicly code I write is property of my employer so how does that work if I post some code?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast