Thread: What's the purpose of USB ports?

What's the purpose of USB ports?

What is the purpose of USB ports? I saw some laptop specs where there are USB ports but no serial or parrallel ports. Can I connect external mouse, printer, scanner etc. to USB ports?

If one model has 4 USB ports and another has 2 only, should I go for higher USB ports model?

Thanks.
    Life is a one way journey, not a destination. Travel it with a smile and never regret anything.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is gift - that's why we call it present.

Yes. Most everything is USB connectable these days. Joystick, Mouse, CD Drives, Hard Drives, Printers, Scanners, etc.

More ports, the more USB devices you can add. But make sure they are USB 2 compatable and any devices you get are USB 2. Much faster than USB 1.
    Stack Overflow
    See the features of Visual Studio 2010 and C# 4.0: The 10-4 show on Channel9

Optical mice don't need to be USB2... however the dual-laser ones might.

And keyboards DEFINATELY don't need to be If it's cheaper, get the USB1 model of mice and keyboard devices, you won't see a tangible difference. But everything else, viva la (usb 2) revolution!
    All contents of the above post that aren't somebody elses are mine, not the property of some media corporation.
    (Just a heads-up)

I love my USB 2 40 gig hd..So much easier to isntall.. And I can just have a stack of them on a shelf if I needed more
    Stack Overflow

PowerPoster
    Originally posted by Cander
    I love my USB 2 40 gig hd..So much easier to isntall.. And I can just have a stack of them on a shelf if I needed more
    faster than a normal one?

Or is it just a bog standard one with a different interface?

I think USB2.0 HDDs are usually ATA/66 because of the 60megs/second transfer rate of USB.
    All contents of the above post that aren't somebody elses are mine, not the property of some media corporation.
    (Just a heads-up)

I think he is right. But it is still fast enough. I mostly use it for data. But I installed Jedi Knight 2 on it. Runs just as fast as it did when it was on my internal 7,500 rpm drive.
    Stack Overflow

7200 RPM
    Or are you using a drive from some sick twisted manufacturer?
    (Just a heads-up)

.oopps..yeah.... 7200..
    Stack Overflow

Wink Hmm...

Originally posted by Cander
    .oopps..yeah.... 7200..
    In theory USB 2 should work less faster then a local HDD as the bus speed is 133 MHz ( I assume that its normal speed... ) and USB 2 is not that faster...

Much faster and better than USB 1.1 though...

I am using USB for joystick, modem and webcam...

Cheers...

Re: Hmm...

I bet for the price you paid for your 40 gig I could have an 80 gig one with 8MB cache.

Which reminds me of a few more items I'll need soon...
    I'm bringing geeky back...

The number of USB ports on a computer can be advantageous, but not truely that important. USB hubs are extremely affordable today. Plus adding USB ports can be easy enough.