Thread: Toolbar control

PowerPoster

Hi, Here I am with yet another question about toolbars! How can i make them have funky buttons, Office 97 style. I mean like The 'File->Open' menu of Word 97 has a picture of an open folder.
    I think text menus with no images are boring!!

Any help most welcome...thank you!!

- Chris

Addicted Member

Chris,

Thress answers for ya.

1) Dial into www.plantsourcecode.com and search for any number of projects which show how to do this

2) There is a site in Britian which has a free ocx which does just what you want, including icons etc, (don't have the address at hand email me at jritchie@genauto.com l will try to find it)

3) Contact Sheridan or Green Tree to purchase a control which does what you want.

Lively Member

I think you are asking how to get icons on your buttons. Here is how. There is a componet called the image list control. It is part of the microsoft windows common controls 5.0, under project components. Add this to your project, then draw it on your form. Then right click on it and go to properties. You will add images to it.

Then you must associate your toolbar with the image list. There is an option if you right click the toolbar and go to properties. Each button you add has an option of what image from the image list you want to associate it with. It will be and index like 0, 1, 2.

There are some office icons like the file open and the print and print preview in the directory you installed vb in. If you chose to install them when you installed vb. If you didn't install them you can probably put the cd in and install them. I think it is program files\dev studio\vb\graphics or something similar.

BJ

PowerPoster

Thank BJ, but when I said toolbar, I meant Menu Bar!! I already know about the image list, but thanks for taking the time to reply!!
    I still can't get images on the MENU bar (checking to make sure I typed menu... ). Any ideas...

Thanks

- Chris

The code to do it is fairly simple (3 API delcarations and about 8 lines of code), but the icons turn on 12 colors and 14x12 pixels in size. Dunno. Let me know if you want the code anyway

------------------
    (`..`->ShadowCrawler<-`..)
    Teenage Programmer
    Visual Basic, HTML, C++, JavaScript

http://welcome.to/X12Tech
    Email: craigkovatch@compuserve.com
    ICQ#: 9872708

PowerPoster

Yes please ShadowCrawler. Might as well have a swift butchers and see what I can muster...send it to my e-mail address if you like...

chris.kihams@btinternet.com

Cheers!

- Chris

Check out VBAccelerator.com

They have a great control (PopMenu control) that does exactly what you're asking. Also, they give away complete source code for it.

Regards,

------------------

Serge

Software Developer
    Serge_Dymkov@vertexinc.com
    Access8484@aol.com
    ICQ#: 51055819

[This message has been edited by Serge (edited 11-23-1999).]