Thread: Displaying scanned documents

I need to display multipage documents that will be scanned. What is the best way to display them as one contiguous document from a VB app. Should I group them together and convert them to Adobe Acrobat format, then display the PDF file with SHELL? Is there a better way? What is the best format to convert them after the scan? Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Best regards, Blair

It all depends on your application's needs.

If you want to produce a single file with the multi-page images in it that can be distributed to users without your application, then PDF may be the way to go.

If you are dealing with other imaging apps, you need to find out what format(s) they want.

Many imaging apps actually store scanned pages individually, rather than as a single, multipage document. An image management application then provides information about what pages belong to what documents and in which order.

HTH,
    Tore.

My app needs to display a form which will contain a control (which type to use) that I can display 4 or 5 scanned fax pages with a scroll bar. I am using Paperport to accept the scanned images from an HP scanner. Paperport allows me to save the scanned image as a .max (paperport format), .bmp, .pcx, .dcx, .jpeg, .gif, .tif (imaging for windows 95), and .pdf (adobe acrobat). If I open the scanned image in WORD and save it as an RTF file, I can drop an RTF control on the form. I liked the TIF image (small size and good dispplay quality), but I cannot get an answer from Microsoft if a control for a TIF image is supported. Whats the best approach I should take? Thanks Blair