Thread: is this allowed?

PowerPoster

Hi there spandex44

Some helpfull critisism...

First off, make the link in your signiture active (so we can press it rather than having to a. write it down or b. copy and paste - annoying, wastes time for us busy programmers ). Do this by enclosing it in "[URL]" UBB Tags (when you write a reply, you see to the left of where you type message it says "*UBB Code is ON" - click that)

Second, you need some colour. It looks a bit dodgy - the graphic at the top of the main page has fuzz around it, and the menu bar down the left is not easily distinguished from the rest of the page (needs a nice blue?? bar like or favourite VB World!)

Does the line at the bottom..."No images or text may be copied from this site without written permission from the webmaster" mean you can't copy code samples?? That's bad and is surely the whole point of a VB site/BB.

Also needs more graphics, like the UBB picture above, and code samples could have a little icon, something like that just to make it more visually impressive. I know everyone says you shouldn't gone on looks, you should go on personality, but what they really mean is a bit of both !!

Only a few of the tutorials go any where, looks bad, instant turn off.

No weekly article, again, instant turn off.

Tips are a bit thin on the ground. If you look here, one of the Administrators regularly puts in very useful tips of his own. Also applies to Projects.

Wheres the FAQ under Questions?

I like the Find a Programmer - certainly original, but doesn't mention location (no good looking through a list of programmers from Spain when you want one in Japan ). Also needs more people...

Jobs is good...perhaps VB World should do that, they don't appear to, good idea.

Back to the actual code for the tips, I think it would be better if you didn't separate the code with explanations - rather explain at the top, or put comments in the code. This makes it easier to copy and paste!

User-defined types Tip doesn't appear to help me much (no code!).

There also needs to be a way of searching through the tips and messageboard posts. I know you don't need it right now (nothing to search ) but you may in the future (also looks more impressive!).

Anyway, I'm sorry if I sounded as though I was ripping it to shreads, but I know what I like and I'm sure the majority of people are in agreement.

Kind regards and good luck. I shall watch your site with interest.

------------------
    - Chris
    chris.kilhams@btinternet.com

[This message has been edited by chrisjk (edited 11-25-1999).]

Hyperactive Member

Dear Chris,
    I thank you very much for giving me your oppinion. I have already changed a few things thanks to you. I guess I should have waited a little bit longer until I opened the site, so that I could get a little bit more Content. Again, I thank you.

------------------
    Regards,
    Alexander McAndrew
    VB Zone
    http://gsenterprise.server101.com

PowerPoster

Glad to be of service! I know how depressing it can be when nobody even goes to the site you spent months of your life working on!

kind regards,

------------------
    - Chris
    chris.kilhams@btinternet.com

Hyperactive Member

Hi! This isn't meant to be an advertisement. I just started a VB site and I wanted to know what you think of it. Please give me all of your feedback. Also, please check out the messageboard. There is one unanswered question (the only post). Thanks and I'm sorry if a message like this disturbs you.

------------------
    Regards,
    Alexander McAndrew
    VB Zone
    http://gsenterprise.server101.com