Thread: Urgent!!! Anyone know a brief history of VB?

Well i'm just new here...and i'm not really into vb programmiong. sorry about that. but i'm just a student and i need everybody's help with my report. i'm going to talk about the variations of each release of VB...from VB 1.0 to VB 6.0. I need everybody's help here and it's urgent. Please notify me right away...thanx in advance.

The only history of VB I know is that it was originally intended to be more of a hobbyist programming language than applications programming. VB started as 16-bit but went to a 16-bit/32-bit split in VB4. VB5 was the first all 32-bit of VB. VB6 introduced the ADO as an alternative to DAOs.

Personal opinion:
    VB3 was OK
    VB4 SUCKED!!!!
    VB5 was good
    VB6 is GREAT!!

Sorry I can't help too much. Some of the other guys and gals probably can explain it better. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Lloyd
    ltbraden@home.com
    ltbraden@bellsouth.net
    ext2ltb@air.ups.com

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

It's not much, but I found this link via Yahoo. http://www.cob.eku.edu/cis/kearns/vbCh1/tsld002.htm

------------------
    Marty

[This message has been edited by MartinLiss (edited 11-09-1999).]

hiya guys! thanx for the help. the two helped a lot particularly that of Lloyd. I already have the url Marty gave before but i appreciated that. thanx guys. u r the best.

No Problem VBer, glad I could help out.

Lloyd

[This message has been edited by Lloyd (edited 11-10-1999).]

I assume that you already have contacted Mr. Gates

Addicted Member

Hi.
    I've been using VB5 EnterPr. Ver. for more than 2 years. Now I've been offered, can you pass it , VB6 Enterpr. Ver. too.

As far as I know, there isn't much diff. between them. Any comments??

Also, any recommendations/tips in what keep in mind when it comes to all the projects I have made with VB5 after upgrading???

Thanx all.

>onerrorgoto: have u contacted Mr. Gates

well do u know his email address? ICQ no? telephone no? or street address? ... lol ;-)

VB6 doesn't add anything HUGE like VB4 (32-bit, and modules I believe), or VB5 (ActiveX controls and lots more), but it does have some additions to the VBA language, and has a lot of bug fixes too. Also, VB6 gives you many more database access options. At first glance, it seem slike VB6 should have been VB5 SP4, but it has quite a bit new.

------------------
    (`..`->ShadowCrawler<-`..)
    Teenage Programmer
    Visual Basic, HTML, C++, JavaScript

http://welcome.to/X12Tech
    Email: craigkovatch@compuserve.com
    ICQ#: 9872708

u might call me stupid if i asked this. but i really need to know. What's the diff. between 16-bit, 32-bit, and 64-bit releases? what are they really?

Lively Member

VB came, it saw, and it conquered.

------------------
    jimmy
    mail:jim@rdalby.f9.co.uk

Bill Gates lives in a 256++ bit environment in 65536 UINT Road, Redmond, WA, and he does not use ICQ (because it was not programmed by Microsoft), but uses MSN instead. And yes, he's worth less than 80 billion (some people think he has more than 100 billion). And I bet he has other things on his mind, like his skull...

First you had the typical 4-bit (yes, half a byte) environment, CPM which was not programmed by Microsoft. It's very very very old. There was no hard drive of course, and there was only one "floppy" disk drive of huge disks (like 7 on 5 inches), where each disk held a once-large amount of exactly 65,536 bytes, which happens to also be 2 to the power of 16. (Today, approx. 1.44MB = 1,457,664 which is a bit less than 2 to the power of 20.5, and 4.5 does make a huge difference in this mathematical operation)
    This OS was 4-bit, so it was hardly capable of single-tasking...

Then came the 8-bit Microsoft DOS (Disk Operating System), together with IBM's Dr. Dos, which we all know...
    Since it was 8-bit, it allowed single-tasking, plus TSRs.

Then there was Windows 1.0 (oh, the fear), the first 16-bit PC Operating System to enable (not full) multi-tasking. It was not full multi-tasking, because that version of Windows was just a sort of add-on for MS-Dos.

Then came the updates: Windows 1.1 I THINK, Windows 2.0, Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, and the last 16-bit PC Operating System made by Microsoft was Windows 3.11 For Workgroups. (I still have the installation diskettes for that one!)

Then came Windows 95, the first 32-bit OS with TRUE multi-tasking! (We all know the story behind that one)

Then the updated Windows 98, very soon the final version (or as I like to call it: variation) of Windows 2000. (Is it really 2000 already? I thought we still have 2 months before that! Oh no, the Y2K bug! Did our computers explode already?)

64-bit OS? What would that be? Windows, completely 3D, not requiring IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS, with the MS-Dos Prompt dead, no Command.Com, no consoles (console application will be converted to windows?), all-new Win64 API (the Win32 API already gives people headaches), no mouse/keyboard (mind controlled, of course), etc. etc. NOT programmed by Microsoft.

------------------
    Yonatan
    Teenage Programmer
    E-Mail: RZvika@netvision.net.il

Yeah right I think Mr. Gates won't use ICQ since it isn't a Microsoft product...but i bet he's considering to "acquire" ICQ 'coz i think MSN don't have much users like ICQ do. What do u think? No harm to Mr. Gates (if he kinda come across this message board hopefully looking fo nice comments about his VB)!!! :-) Anyway i finished my report today and had it discussed in class. And i did kinda great 'coz i got an A!!! Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciated those...

[This message has been edited by VBer (edited 11-12-1999).]

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

Hmmm.... Just a few corrections for you Yonathan:

CP/M was a 8-bit OS and MS-DOS was 16-bit.

DR DOS was created by Digital Research and not IBM.

The first 32-bit OS (created by Microsoft) with true multi-tasking was Windows NT 3.1 which was released 1993.

Windows NT doesn't have or use IO.SYS or MSDOS.SYS nor COMMAND.COM. It does have a command prompt though, provided by CMD.EXE but you are still in NTs 32-bit environment when you use it.

------------------
    Joacim Andersson
    joacim@programmer.net
    joacim@yellowblazer.com
    www.YellowBlazer.com

Hyperactive Member Juan Carlos Rey's Avatar

Your code for opening mplayer.exe inside a picture box worked perfectly. Thanks a million!!!

I need a little refinement, however: Is there a way to close mplayer a soon as it finishes playing, or, at least, when the user clicks on another .wav?

I would appreciate any help. Regards, JuanCar

[This message has been edited by Juan Carlos Rey (edited 11-22-1999).]

Hyperactive Member Juan Carlos Rey's Avatar

Hi, lejohn!

Thanks for you reply. I couldn't find it in VB-helper however. Do you have a specific location?