Thread: OK, I thought I knew some VB...

Now that I have started to check out this board and CodeGuru, I am finding out that I have just been scratching the surface. Largely because I haven't used the Win API that much - well, almost not at all :-)

Questions have popped up as I read the threads on this forum.

- Regarding hwnd. What is it exactly before I make assumptions. We all know what happens then.

- Constants in the API calls. You know, the hex numbers in the declarations. How does one know which constants to use?

I'm sure there's more. Is there a good place here at VB World that will clarify things? Would Appleman's API book clear things up for me?

My self esteem is shot :-)

[This message has been edited by tpatten (edited 12-06-1999).]

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

While you could do some searches in BB and get some good info, I'd definately suggest you buy Appleman's book.

------------------
    Marty

Oh yeah, another question that has been lingering for some time. I want to grab information that appears in another program, written by some other vendor, or maybe have data appear from my app into the other app. For example, I want to intergate my application with a check writing application. Is this possible?

I feel like a kid in a candy store actually!

Frenzied Member

Appleman has three VB books out, I recommend them all (2 are on API calls, the other on OCX's).

To answer your second question, it's really going to depend on whether or not the vendor has exposed the data structures for out side use. If not, you'll need to figure out the structure on your own...