Thread: Turbo LED address

Hyperactive Member

I'm trying to find an address of some of LEDs or fan on my computer.

Does anybody know them? If, tell me, please.

------------------
    Thanks,
    John, 14 years old

Hyperactive Member Juan Carlos Rey's Avatar

The fan: it is har-wired, and I don't think that disconnecting it will be a good idea.

The LED's: I once saw something in the net, but don't remember where! Search a bit.

meddling with the fan is a stupid idea, old compaq's shutdown if the fan stops for more than half a second, i know this cos i stuck a pencil in the back of one once cos i was bored! If its not broke dont fix it.

I dont think he is talking about physicly turning off the turbo light. He is talking about turning it on or off with VB code. I do not think that it is directly possible. But it MAY be possible by tricking the compiter into thinkning that the turbo button is being pressed. But i highly doubt that you could without doing some mods to your hardware. if anyone elese knows anything, fell free to post it.`

Oh, I have just noticed Jhd.Honza was talking about turbo Led, as in his post he says "some Led's".
    Turbo Led can be turned on-off with the turbo switch, I don't think that can be achieved by code.
    Other Led's (Num Lock, Caps Lock & Scroll Lock) are the ones which can be controlled tru code.

Hello there,

Just been reading through some of the vb world bullein board topics, mainly the one about the turbo led and stuff...couldn't stop laughing at the bit about the guy sticking his pencil in the fan on his compaq cos he was bored...

Anyway, to the point...you mentioned about turning the numlock, capslock & scrolllock leds on and off through code...I once saw it done on an about screen...the program presumably took down the current state of these keys, flashed them for a while and the restored their previous state when the about box closed. HOW do you do this?

A nice little easy-to-use module that can read and write the state of the num, scroll & caps lock keys would be nice...(You know, something I can just drop into my project and not care about exactly how it works...)

------------------
    Matthew Ralston
    E-Mail: m.ralston@mediavault.co.uk
    Web Sites:The Blue Link My Home Page

Hyperactive Member

The fan is turned off in suspend time as well as turbo LED is blinking (if is connected) so I decided it can be done with software...

In BIOS are mentioned temperatures of CPU, fan, fan rating, etc. I saw sofware for Windows to control it too (and warn on errors).

Any ideas how to control these things?

------------------
    Thanks,
    John, 14 years old

Hyperactive Member

I know that the fan thing is not possible. I've taken apart a few computers and the fan is wired inside of the power supply, independent of the rest of the computer. I don't know what the turbo button does(my computers don't have one), but it is my guess that it, too, is wired directly to the switch, and doesn't go through a program, just like the power led.

Lively Member

In the BIOS, I setup a monitor shutdown time, and after that time has elapsed, the monitor shuts down, but the POWER LED also flashes while in this state, this would leave me to believe that it is connected somehow to software.

Steve.

As for CapsLock and NumLock have a look at:

http://www.vbsquare.com/code/094.htm

[This message has been edited by Juan Carlos Rey (edited 12-05-1999).]