Thread: Networked Database

Addicted Member

My application will have the same program running on several maybe 5 different computers across a network. This program will access a central database on a file server and will add records or delete and modify records.

What I need is a way to detect if the recordset/database has been updated or something that will alert the program when it is update so that I can refresh my datagrids etc.

I do not really want to put a button that the user has to click to refresh the display. Nor do I want the grid to update at regular intervals as that may not be needed and would only use up extra resources.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt Brown

You could maintain a field in some kind of "control" table in the database that could contain the date/time of the last database update. Querying this with a timer control on the workstation app would let you update automatically. Setting the date/time with each update would make it work.

Also, look to the properties available to you with the data objects you are using. They may have a similar value you could query.