Thread: Integration Approximation

Integration Approximation

For those of you that take Calculus or have taken Calculus, you probably have had to do some sort of numerical integration [or approximation] to find the area underneath a curve. Well this program does that, and a bit more. Let me give some background information.

The original goal of the program was to implement Simpson's Rule [Wikipedia it if you don't know it], but I sort of got carried away with it and ended up writing an Infix to Postfix conversion using the shunting yard algorithm [Found a C# version on the web that I had to hand-convert due to lack of an online translator at the time...long story] as well as several different approximations that can be used [four different Riemann sums were implemented: Left, Midpoint, Right, and Trapezoidal].

The directions are pretty self-explanatory, but there are a few rules: The Infix to Postfix converter supports the following mathematical operations: +-*/^(), and using function such as "e", sin(), cos(), tan(), etc, are not supported by the Infix to Postfix converter, or the calculator.

If anyone finds any bugs with the program, or want to leave a comment, please feel free to do so!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Integration Approximation

Awesome. And it rhymes too!

Your username sounds familiar... do I know you from somewhere?

Re: Integration Approximation

You might...also, there is going to be an update coming through soon to fix a small bug where the program sort of...drops any decimal points when converting from Infix to Postfix.