Thread: VBForums Reputations Saver (and Viewer)

VBForums Reputations Saver (and Viewer)

Hi All,

In our VBForums, there is a limit on how many reputations can be shown in the control panel, and the older ones slowly go away and are finally lost for ever.

This application can be used to backup the information at periodic intervals automatically, and show them with an alternate style if required.

Features:
    1. Facility to backup your reputations.
    2. You can Schedule backups (using Windows Task Scheduler).
    3. You can use alternate stylesheet to view it in whatever way you want to.

Name:  reputationsaver-in-action.JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  194.8 KB

(NB: Just in case the exe doesn't run properly, ensure that you have .NET framework 3.5 installed on your system. If you continue to face problems, just let me know.)

Thanks,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Pradeep1210; Jun 19th, 2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Minor corrections to source code and screenshot added.
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Re: VBForums Reputations Saver (and Viewer)

In reference to the exe, we normally don't allow them but while I can not guarantee the safety of the attached exe I will allow its posting until such time that someone reports a problem.

Thanks Marty.

I posted the compile executable keeping in view that not everyone here has or is using VB 2008. Many are using VB6/VBA/others etc. But the application is equally useful for all vbforums members irrespective, and there would be quite a many members who might be interested in the executable file only.
    Last edited by Pradeep1210; Jun 18th, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

Detailed Procedure for scheduling repuation updates.

Detailed Procedure for scheduling repuation updates:

1. Open Control Panel and double-click the Scheduled Tasks icon.
    2. Double-click the Add a Schedule icon. This will launch the Scheduled Tasks Wizard.
    3. Click Next button.
    4. Click Browse button. Locate the ReputationSaver.exe (the file you downloaded). Click Next.
    5. Perform this Task: Daily. (you may choose another interval if wish to do so). Click Next.
    6. Set appropriate start time. Click Next.
    7. Enter your windows username and password. Click Next.
    8. Finally click Finish button. This closes the window and creates a new scheduled task.
    9. Now note that in the Scheduled Tasks list, a new item named ReputationSaver has been added. Right-click this item and click Run from popup menu. This should launch the application.
    10. Here verify that you have provided correct User Name and Password and ticked the Remember my UserName and Password checkbox.
    11. Close the application.
    12. Right click the ReputationSaver (in scheduled tasks list) again and select Properties from popup menu.
    13. Now in the Run textbox (where you have the application filename with full path), append a space and /UpdateOnly
    14. Click OK to save and close the window.
    15. To verify that everything has been done correctly, and our scheduled task will run without problems, right click the ReputationSaver (in scheduled tasks list) again and select Run from popup menu. If you get an error message, take appropriate action. If nothing happens, the task has run successfully, and we can be sure that it will run at scheduled intervals.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

(2010-2013)

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

Amazing Job Done.

In fact this solves many of my problems, one being searching for resolved threads for specific combination of words...

Just a suggestion, if can add one more functionality to it. Add a search box, which searches for a combination of words in the first column "Thread". Right now I'll have to do it manually using your application

Once again Good Job Pradeep.
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

Thanks koolsid.

That's a good suggestion. I have a few things already in mind for the next version, and I'll add yours to the list too.

So this is what I have at present:
    1. Show the total reputation points somewhere on the form.
    2. Add a calculated column for estimating how much is each reputation worth. (This would be calculated on the reputation power of the member, since we already know the calculation rules.)
    3. Add facility to move database to user specified location. At present it is in My.Settings which is located deep inside the User folder, and formatting the system would lose the database. Even moving the exe at present causes a new file to be created.)
    5. Add option to allow automatically update on application startup.
    6. Easy interface for scheduling from within the program. (this is a least priority since the default windows task scheduler interface is not bad either.)
    7. Use alternative database system. Maybe a access/sql etc. or just a flat file (since the data won't be too large to handle).
    8. Search and filter capabilities. Add a search box, which searches for a combination of words in the first column "Thread". This would need more than just a simple search because we would need to also retrieve & store the full title of the thread in our database.

(2010-2013)

Why would someone want to save their reputation? For me mine gives me nightmares seeing those red squares.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Red square

I hardly remember anyone giving me a negative reputation.

(2010-2013)

Looks nice Pradeep. I'll have a look into it.

If you found my post helpful, please rate it.

Codebank Submission: FireFox Browser (Gecko) in VB.NET, Load files, (sub)folders treeview with Windows icons

Nice app Pradeep
    Arve K.

Please mark your thread as resolved and add reputation to those who helped you solve your problem
    Disclaimer: I am not a professional programmer

Thanks radjesh klauke & _powerade_

(2010-2013)

Nice work....

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

thanks akhilesh

(2010-2013)

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

I've got two suggestions and a problem.
    • You probably should limit the program to run just one instance at a time
    • The "Schedule Update" button should open Scheduled Tasks window or at least the Control Panel.
    • This probably isn't your fault but I get an "Access denied" error while attempting to set task account information and it says I don't have permission to perform the operation. My account is an Administrator. Any ideas? BTW I don't think it matters but I don't use an account password.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss View Post
    [*]This probably isn't your fault but I get an "Access denied" error while attempting to set task account information and it says I don't have permission to perform the operation. My account is an Administrator. Any ideas? BTW I don't think it matters but I don't use an account password.[/list]
    Which operating system are you using? What happens when you left click the program and select "Run as administrator"?
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Jun 25th, 2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss View Post
    I've got two suggestions and a problem.
    • You probably should limit the program to run just one instance at a time
    • The "Schedule Update" button should open Scheduled Tasks window or at least the Control Panel.
    • This probably isn't your fault but I get an "Access denied" error while attempting to set task account information and it says I don't have permission to perform the operation. My account is an Administrator. Any ideas? BTW I don't think it matters but I don't use an account password.
    Suggestions taken.
    I'm still working on the new build. Will upload here in a day or two.

I'm not sure about the problem you are facing though. By any chance, is the Scheduled Tasks service stopped or set to disabled/manual?

(2010-2013)

Neat

I just installed VB 10 (express) and have never used .Net so its all new to me, VB 10 converted the proj and I made the exe, seems to work OK, but when I click on a link it opens it in IE and I have FireFox set as my default browser, can it be changed so links open in the default browser?

I'm using a WebBrowser control internally. By default it opens in Internet Explorer. I'll have to see if there is some way to make it open in default browser, but I'm not yet sure.

Thanks.

(2010-2013)