Thread: Internet connected?

Addicted Member kill_bill_gates's Avatar

Internet connected?

How can I detect if the computer is connected to internet (also please mention if I need any components)?
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    Juvenal
    Mete the Hun wanted to live in peace with the Chinese. So he gave the Chinese Emperor his favorite horse, best swords in his armory, and lots of other cool stuff. But then the Chinese Emperor asked for one thing. A useless land through the north. It was a small, useless, unproductive, uninhabited piece of land. But Mete the Hun's answer was certain:
    I gave you horses, weapons and much more which belonged to me. But the lands are not mine, it's my nation's and I'm ready to fight, kill and die for just an inch my country
    -=Joey Jordison R0CKS!! =-

PowerPoster

Re: Internet connected?

you could just send a ping to your dns server

rgds pete

how??? Using "shell"?
    Juvenal
    Mete the Hun wanted to live in peace with the Chinese. So he gave the Chinese Emperor his favorite horse, best swords in his armory, and lots of other cool stuff. But then the Chinese Emperor asked for one thing. A useless land through the north. It was a small, useless, unproductive, uninhabited piece of land. But Mete the Hun's answer was certain:
    I gave you horses, weapons and much more which belonged to me. But the lands are not mine, it's my nation's and I'm ready to fight, kill and die for just an inch my country

Yep...

wouldn't something along the lines of

Shell "ping www.google.com"

work ?
    Zeegnahtuer?

k but how can i check the results of ping?
    Juvenal

To tell you the truth i diodn't think of that... damnit, no point if you can't check it... lol

Erm, wait til the other guy gets back in here, he should know
    Zeegnahtuer?

yep.. nice sig by the way
    Juvenal

Quote Originally Posted by kill_bill_gates
    yep.. nice sig by the way
    lol, ty

I wonder if this has been asked B4 u kno, i'm, sure it has, do a search there should be a few examples...
    Zeegnahtuer?

Fanatic Member

There's massive threads about this. Many ways to do it. The problem is, some of the methods initiate a connection attempt, which maybe unwanted. On the other hand, if you don't want to initiate a connection attempt, then you must use tons of code (that have already been composed by other people) that will check to see if there is an internet connection Cable/DSL/Dial up.
    Visual Basic 6.0
    Visual C++ 5
    Delphi 5

Ping, write the results to text file, then phase through flie for results.
    VB Code:
    1. Shell "cmd /k ping google.com >c:\ping_test.txt ", vbHide

Its in the forum somwhere, thats where i got the code above form.

_

~ What was once an opinion, became a fact, to be later proven wrong... ~

Thanks dude
    Juvenal

Wellcome

~ What was once an opinion, became a fact, to be later proven wrong... ~

Quote Originally Posted by kill_bill_gates
    How can I detect if the computer is connected to internet (also please mention if I need any components)?
    You need to use some api to get the state of your current connection. There are few different approches that could be used so here is the simplest one:
    VB Code:
    1. Private Const INTERNET_CONNECTION_CONFIGURED = &H40
    2. Private Const INTERNET_CONNECTION_LAN = &H2
    3. Private Const INTERNET_CONNECTION_MODEM = &H1
    4. Private Const INTERNET_CONNECTION_OFFLINE = &H20
    5. Private Const INTERNET_CONNECTION_PROXY = &H4
    6. Private Const INTERNET_RAS_INSTALLED = &H10
    7. Private Declare Function InternetGetConnectedState Lib "wininet.dll" (ByRef lpdwFlags As Long, ByVal dwReserved As Long) As Long
    8. Private Sub Form_Load()
    9.     'KPD-Team 2001
    10.     'URL: [url]http://www.allapi.net/[/url]
    11.     'E-Mail: [email]KPDTeam@Allapi.net[/email]
    12.     Dim Ret As Long
    13.     Me.AutoRedraw = True
    14.     'retrieve the connection status
    15.     InternetGetConnectedState Ret, 0&
    16.     'show the result
    17.     If (Ret And INTERNET_CONNECTION_CONFIGURED) = INTERNET_CONNECTION_CONFIGURED Then Me.Print "Local system has a valid connection to the Internet, but it may or may not be currently connected."
    18.     If (Ret And INTERNET_CONNECTION_LAN) = INTERNET_CONNECTION_LAN Then Me.Print "Local system uses a local area network to connect to the Internet."
    19.     If (Ret And INTERNET_CONNECTION_MODEM) = INTERNET_CONNECTION_MODEM Then Me.Print "Local system uses a modem to connect to the Internet."
    20.     If (Ret And INTERNET_CONNECTION_OFFLINE) = INTERNET_CONNECTION_OFFLINE Then Me.Print "Local system is in offline mode."
    21.     If (Ret And INTERNET_CONNECTION_PROXY) = INTERNET_CONNECTION_PROXY Then Me.Print "Local system uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet."
    22.     If (Ret And INTERNET_RAS_INSTALLED) = INTERNET_RAS_INSTALLED Then Me.Print "Local system has RAS installed."
    23. End Sub

wow, thanks rhino
    Juvenal