Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] !! About the new type of Single Language MSDN that I am making for Microsoft !!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: !! About the new type of Single Language MSDN that I am making for Microsoft !!

Can we get back to the OP, in which I am trying to work towards???
    Not really... because none of us have a clue what you're talking about. What is it? In plain English.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Re: !! About the new type of Single Language MSDN that I am making for Microsoft !!

It looks like you're making an ActiveX control. Are you trying to pass it off as a new language?

Everyone reading this thread is puzzled.

In case you're competing with the AI thread, you're far from getting there.
    moti's a seasoned troll and you've nothing on him.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

There aren't too many threads that require me to take an asprin after reading, but this was sure one of them...

--That makes two or more of us...

However it was an ActiveX Control but then I just rewrote to a Form, instead and then working from there. Also I wrote it into my IDE, and then working as an Express and Ultimate Editions of it, at the same time. Is this really neccessary, to do or not???
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Actually why not download following the link in my signature: "QuickDirector Express" in the section under: "QuickDirector Stuff"...
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    Actually why not download following the link in my signature: "QuickDirector Express" in the section under: "QuickDirector Stuff"...
    404 page not found

PowerPoster

Last edited by dilettante; Apr 11th, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: grr, how did https get in there?

-- Thanks for the Input$, I am going to check it out right about now!!

The Link is now Refreshed, Relinked and then it works right about now, in deed. That was a few very intense moments, working out what was wrong. I had a space in the link feeder on the Forum Signature!! I didn't realise that, part of the fact...

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

That was a few very intense moments, working out what was wrong. I had a space in the link
    I hate it when that happens! So stressful!

-- hehe := Same here ,, at least my machine didn't blow up this time. Only joking...

Posting in an epic thread
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

-- hehe ,, yes it really is, isn't it???

Oh yeah !
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

-- So right about now. Getting back to the OP...

Has anyone been able to download my products and if they work, please tell me if they do so. If they don't work, please tell me and then I will then be able to get on to it right, at some point in time...

Well seeing that this is inside the General ChitChat Forum, I am going to ask: Does anyone Like or Dislike my Member Signature on this Forum??? I have been able to remove all of the Compiled Coded Internet Links, therefore it is now totally safe for people to use also there is a compiled section of the Webpage. But then I cannot let loose all of my Source Code, then. But that is my way of thinking, anyway...

I tried going to your main page which worked but doesn't contain anything useful except the links at the top. Unfortunately, every link returns a 404 page not found error so there's not much to look at at the moment.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Well seeing that this is inside the General ChitChat Forum, I am going to ask: Does anyone Like or Dislike my Member Signature on this Forum??? I have been able to remove all of the Compiled Coded Internet Links, therefore it is now totally safe for people to use also there is a compiled section of the Webpage. But then I cannot let loose all of my Source Code, then. But that is my way of thinking, anyway...
    Dangit! What's with polls lately??? why must ti be one way or the other? where's the apathy option? What if I neither like nor dislike it?? Ugh... you polsters are all alike. Bah!

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Originally Posted by FunkyDexter
    (though I'm not really sure what you mean by "single")
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Apparently, it means single as in not married, since it is clearly meant to mate up with some other language.
    That should be added to webster's dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I tried going to your main page which worked but doesn't contain anything useful except the links at the top. Unfortunately, every link returns a 404 page not found error so there's not much to look at at the moment.
    I'm working on the Webpage, right now even...

I like your website, but I think each page should have music when it loads. That will make it even better.

Thanks
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

-- Actually, I'm working on a Splash Screen for when it loads the screen, so then that could be where I add the music, cool!! Thanks for the Input$...

Unfortunately this
    CodeBank Page: Coming Really Soon...
    means I'm not going to try out your stuff. Don't get me wrong, I can see loads of perfectly good reasons why people don't like to share their code (the obvious one being that you don't want anyone to steal it) but the flip side for people like me is that you're essentially asking me to install something on my machine with absolutely no way of knowing it's safe to do so. It could be anything. I've got all sorts of stuff on my machine I can't afford to lose so the risk's just too great, even if I trust you.

If you can find a way of providing that assurance without exposing your code I'd be happy to try stuff out. I can't think of a way of providing that assurance without seeing the code though.

Debug the EXE file, with an External Debugger but then you have to run it on some kind of machine...

Here is some of Source Code, it's the CodeWindow Form and also the MSDN Library. Also included is the MSDN Documents that appear inside the MSDN Console...

-- Please note: When I say Source Code and MSDN Library, I am refering to the one that I am going to GIVE to Microsoft...

Stack Overflow mod​erator

I suppose I'm late to the party, but this "new VB" that you were referring to... I think it came out already. It's called "VB.NET" and it's been around for... only 10 years now, I think?

Anyway, subscribed!

Damn, I've no longer got VB6 installed and can't find my old disk. I could have sworn I still had it. Anyway, I downloaded your stuff and opened it up in notepad (boy that took me back) and I think I can start to understand what you're trying to do.

Essentially, you seem to be writing an alternative IDE that's got some extra features in, so it'll create place holders for subs automatically and it's got some winsock connecivity built in, that sort of thing. Is that right? If so I applaud the effort but I do think you're going the hard way about it. You've got an awful lot of code there that just mimics stuff that was built into Visual Studio already, the code colouration for example. That's alot of effort when you could have just written add ins for Visual Studio, getting all of it's functionality for free while adding your own features on top.

If you're open to some criticism on your coding style, two things jumped out at me. 1. Alot of your variable are declared at form level when they're only used within a single method. You should always declare variables at the lowest scope possible. 2. You've got at least one 'On Error Resume Next' in there. Get rid of it and handle your errors properly.

2. You've got at least one 'On Error Resume Next' in there. Get rid of it and handle your errors properly.
    It's VB6, so THAT's not gonna happen. On Error Resume Next was problematic back then, but none of the alternatives were all that good, either. It would be the same as quietly absorbing an exception in .NET, which is occasionally even the right thing to do.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

NNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

It's not absorbing an error; it's absorbing all errors. Don't get me wrong, I can see the argument for absorbing the occasional error you genuinely know you can ignore but you ought to know what the error is first. Absorbing a "File Not Open" Error when closing a file would be a good example. But On Error Resume Next is saying, I don't care what error occurs, I'm going to ignore it. The very least you should do in VB6 is use On Error Goto, check the error code and issue a resume next from the error handler if it's an error you really don't care about.

And just 'cause I can't resist it:-

There was an On Error Resume Next
    Which made some developers quite vexed
    Shaggy's not bothered
    but the errors hovered
    and came back to haunt Funky Dext...

... er

While hiding all errors in a go
    Causes trouble and hides bugs also
    The point of my text
    Which was missed by vexed Dex
    Was: Only hide those exceptions you know.

I can only think of one situation where quietly swallowing an exception made sense, but there IS that one situation: Exceptions raised by invalid UDP packets can typically be ignored.

Stack Overflow mod​erator

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    While hiding all errors in a go
    Causes trouble and hides bugs also
    The point of my text
    Which was missed by vexed Dex
    Was: Only hide those exceptions you know.

I can only think of one situation where quietly swallowing an exception made sense, but there IS that one situation: Exceptions raised by invalid UDP packets can typically be ignored.
    Limerick +1. I should start answering everything like that.

God this is such an epic thread

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

-- Actually, I'm working on a Splash Screen for when it loads the screen, so then that could be where I add the music, cool!! Thanks for the Input$...
    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHere

But On Error Resume Next is saying, I don't care what error occurs, I'm going to ignore it. The very least you should do in VB6 is use On Error Goto, check the error code and issue a resume next from the error handler if it's an error you really don't care about.
    Well, you could do an inline error handling for the errors you expected, where the On Error Resume Next would be a perfectly justified way of handing errors. It's like executing a statement and then checking the error code or status code on the next line to check if the last statement executed without errors.

Sorry to post something serious. I am not entirely sure it's right to do that.

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Exceptions raised by invalid UDP packets can typically be ignored
    I know absolutely nothing about that so can't really comment. Let me see if I can clarify where I'm coming from a bit because I'm not sure whether we're arguing the same point or not. I'll probably get the syntax wrong so bear with me.

This is obviously wrong:-
    Code:
    'Program starts Here
    On Error Resume Next
    'Loads of lines of code
    That's just turning error handling off. I imagine we're probaly in agreement on that though.

This isn't as wrong but I would argue is still bad practice:-
    Code:
    On Error Goto MyHandler
    'Various bits of code I'm handling correctly
    On Error Resume Next 'Skip any errors because I don't care if the files already closed
    File.Close
    On Error Goto MyHandler
    'More bit of code I'm handling correctly.
    I used to come across that alot in my VB6 days but I still think it's bad because you don't actually know that the error being thrown is that the file is already closed. The error could be something completely different and this will carry on regardless. I guess there may be some situations where a particular line of code can only throw one type of error and you're happy to ignore it, but even then you don't know the underlying implementation won't change at some point.

I would argue that this is correct:0
    Code:
    On Error goto MyGeneralHandler
    ...Various Lines of code being correctly handled
    On Error goto myFileCloseHandler
    File.Close
    On Error goto MyGeneralHandler
    ... more lines of code being correctly handled

MyFileCloseHandler:
    If Error.code = "File Already Closed" 'Or whatever the error code for that was
       Resume Next

MyGeneralHandler:
    'Do whatever error handling you'd normally do here
    Here you're making sure the error is the one you want to consume before you consume it. Having a separate handler may or may not be apropriate, depending on the situation, but the point is to check the error first and make sure it's the one you think it is.

Well, you could do an inline error handling for the errors you expected, where the On Error Resume Next would be a perfectly justified way of handing errors.
    I've seen that argued a lot and disagree I'm afraid. It means your just ignoring any error you weren't expecting... and they're the really dangerous ones. I guess you could check for any error after every line of code but that seems awefully innefficient to me.

The Shaggy v Funky Rhyme Battle
    Played out 'fore the VBF cattle
    The puns were displaced
    by formed rhymes in their place
    But I aint got a final line that'll...

...scan correctly

Turns out I'm not very good at limericks. And I don't really think the VBFers are cattle but, hey, you try coming up with a rhyme for battle just after you've eaten lunch.

I'm in agreement with FD on this... I've seen cases were apps failed in a spectacular way because at the top was (correctly) the On Error Goto errHnadlerXYZ .... then in the middle of the routing someone snuck in an OERN ... to handle a specific event, then FAILED to reset the original error handler. Things became even more complicated as we're going through the error handler to find out what was going wrong, not knowing there was an OERN... it was justbad juju all around.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

In general, I too, agree on all those points. My position is this:

1) I know of one or two situations where that would be ok.
    2) I didn't download the code in question, nor do I have the means to look at it, so I'm not going to.

Considering that #2 is True, I can't categorically state whether the practice in this case is wrong. However, this part is certainly true:

3) I can probably find a nit to pick with just about anything.

As #3 is clearly true, I think I shall say no more about it other that this: It is a very rare situation where it is acceptable to quietly swallow an exception, but they do exist. Try as I might to find an errant situation where it would make sense to Catch as exception...End Try.

Funky D called VB folks Cattle
    He thought it to be idle prattle
    It was not his end
    To people, offend
    So on him, I clearly won't tattle.

I can probably find a nit to pick with just about anything.
    I'm willing to bet that's a particular problem by the end of a hiking trip.

Funky D called VB folks Cattle
    He thought it to be idle prattle
    It was not his end
    To people, offend
    So on him, I clearly won't tattle.
    Show off

I'm willing to bet that's a particular problem by the end of a hiking trip.
    Nah, they've all drowned.

Show off
    Quite!!

Gee sorry that I fell asleep, because of the members posting on my Thread!! This is the first night's sleep for about since Feburary '12!! I now usually sleep in the day time, not at night because of the time thing on this Forum...

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast