Thread: Looking for devs, creating comprehensive VB6 replacement from scratch

Lightbulb Looking for devs, creating comprehensive VB6 replacement from scratch

I'm begun a project, which I had a working pre-beta version of many years ago, that I have revived, and am looking to streamline, make the cod bug free, and something people actually would want to use as a cheap/free alternative to VB6 or even .NET

As of now, I have the basic conceptual work done, as well as a basic IDE, where the code will run off run-time VbScript binary data

I have just realized the scope of such a project, and it would save a lot of time if some other like-minded developers would like to engage in this project with me. You need to be fairly advanced as far as VB6 programming before considering this, so keep that in mind.

Here's a SS of the IDE so far
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Looking for devs, creating comprehensive VB6 replacement from scratch

Hi,

There's a section in this forum called Project Requests. Project-Requests
    I believe this thread should be posted there.

KG
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

I missed that section, I was looking for a more specific section, however not only did I not find one, I also noticed all the other sections don't have many people hanging around

You may find this thread interesting.
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

The project coordinator claims the project is dead...

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

Thread moved to the Project Requests forum.

Your IDE looks nice. I've created a similar project myself which I call ScriptBrix. It's a complete IDE with a debugger and a compiler that creates stand-alone EXE files without any dependency files.

Here's a couple of screen shots:

Name:  ScriptBrix.png
Views: 3600
Size:  51.2 KBName:  ScriptBrix2.png
Views: 4167
Size:  77.2 KB

Hmm, looks like you've got a complete IDE going on there, I would be very interested in the source, or if you're not willing to help me out with the whole code, my intellisense is working very poorly, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to list all the props of a control in the property window, as there doesn't seem to be a way to loop through a controls properties...

I'm basically making mine as a liteweight, easy to use, alternative to VB6 that is up to date graphically, IDE wise, and functionality wise; making sure it has everything that I find wonderful about VB6, but none of the things I find annoying or too difficult to migrate from VB6 to .NET

Maybe you would be interesting in teaming up? Seems to guys like ourselves could be dangerous thing.

I can't really share my source code since it uses a couple of third party tools. However ScriptBrix is written in Delphi which has RTTI (Run-Time Type Information) which is similar to reflection in .Net in which you can check the interface of an object. However if you want to check the interface and get the various properties and methods a COM object exposes you can use the TypeLib Information Object Library (TlbInf32.dll), which is what the Object Browser in VB6 is using.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by big0range View Post
    The project coordinator claims the project is dead...
    That happens a lot with these sorts of efforts. Usually because there aren't enough resources (i.e. strong programmers) brought to bear but just as often due to differring "visions" (axes to grind).

If you choose not to go into .Net for whatever reasons there are quite a few alternative Basic compilers. Some are multiplatform like REALBasic (now Xojo) or the emerging free alternative B4J.

What I like about B4J is its close relationship with the (not free) Basic4Android. As Microsoft kills Windows by taking it in the WinRT/Metro direction, fleeing to Android is the current axe I'm grinding myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joacim Andersson View Post
    I can't really share my source code since it uses a couple of third party tools. However ScriptBrix is written in Delphi which has RTTI (Run-Time Type Information) which is similar to reflection in .Net in which you can check the interface of an object. However if you want to check the interface and get the various properties and methods a COM object exposes you can use the TypeLib Information Object Library (TlbInf32.dll), which is what the Object Browser in VB6 is using.
    Wow that is amazingly simple with the TypeLib library thats basically all I wanted to know how to do from your code, for the most part. Anything else you could recommend that will help in this type of endeavor? How do you manage standalone exes?

Well, if you're writing your code in VB6 then obviously you will always be forced to have the VB6 run-time files installed + all other COM components that you've used. As I mentioned I've used Delphi for the development of this project and not VB, however the language I've created is very similar to VB but there are some major difference in the syntax as well. If you're interested I've created a document called "ScriptBrix for VB developers" which highlights these differences.

My compiler creates a byte code out of the source and then simply combines that with the interpreter, much like a self-extracting ZIP file except that it doesn't extract the byte code back to disk but directly to memory streams and executes it directly from memory. Binary data, such as images that you might have assigned to various controls which supports it (such as the Image control, Buttons, Toolbar, TreeView, ListView, et.c.), are also stored inside this "self-extracting" EXE file as Base64 encoded text files. All of these resources (including the byte code) are also, for security purposes, encrypted within the generated EXE file and I also never have any plans on documenting my byte code. The reason for this is just so that the generated EXE files can't be decompiled back to source code again.

If you're interested PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of ScriptBrix.

Lively Member

Do you finished this project? otherwise, can you share it to us for using ?

Where can I download the software?