Thread: Keeping a Win PC clean

Unhappy Keeping a Win PC clean

Is there an automatic way to keep nuisanace files off of my PC?

I am running McAfee Security Center for virus scanning. I'm connected to a router which allows me to share a cable modem and act as a hardware firewall. I tend to run Adaware every day or two and ALWAYS find garbage on my machine. It feels like a constant, on-going battle that I can't win. Are there tools I should be using that I'm not?

My daughters computer is worse although I think because she is a heavy user of AIM, all kinds of junk gets loaded on her machine to the point where it slows to an absolute crawl. Running MSConfig and looking at the Startup tab shows all the junk that's loaded. Unchecking the check boxes and restarting helps, but how can I prevent that stuff from loading in the first place?

I know several people that have been totally turned off from using a computer and browsing the net because this junk is out of control and is way too frustrating for the casual surfer.

Any advice? thanks

Re: Keeping a Win PC clean

i dont know if its freeware, but i got it from my cousin. Its called webroot window washer

AdAware us pretty good, but half the battle is not visiting suspect sites in the first place. Some places are known for their ability not to mess with anything on your syetem. Unfortunately, not all sites are like that.

Have her only surf the web through AOL. They have pretty good virus software available to their users. If it isn't enabled, it should be.

webroot spysweeper actually.
    not free

Quote Originally Posted by BluesMatt
    ...this junk is out of control and is way too frustrating for the casual surfer. Any advice? thanks
    Use a Mac.
    Nobody knows what software they want until after you've delivered what they originally asked for.

Don't solve problems which don't exist.

"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe." --- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

2 idiots don't make a genius.

no it aint called webroot spysweeper. I have that also, its name is what i called it.

To stop the dodgy software from installing I would recommend increasing the protection level of the virus scanner/firewall if you can (if McAfee Security Center doesnt have a firewall, get one!). Oh, and always keep your security products up to date.

In order to remove spyware etc which doesnt go using other tools (several re-name & re-install themselves on each boot) you can use the excellent HijackThis. Unfortunately it is by no means automatic, but it can create log files which people on several forums will decipher for you, and tell you what to do next.

After a few hours of verifying that something with such a worrying name (and logo) was safe, I used HijackThis at work (major corporation) on about 20 computers, it only failed once, which was when I made a mistake - the 2nd attempt fixed it.

You can download it from here:
    http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3...ml?tag=lst-0-1

Stop using Internet Explorer, and download Firefox from the link in my sig.

Firefox > all
    -----MY SITES-----
    BayRidgeNights.Com - NYC Nightlife Forums

Fight Communism - Rate Posts!

Replacing IE with FireFox will not stop spyware from getting on a machine. Get a grip.
    Nobody knows what software they want until after you've delivered what they originally asked for.

"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe." --- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

Browse the Internet as a restricted user, download and install these and you'll not be bothered by viruses or spy ware again:

Firefox - secure, fast and easy to use web browser
    SpyBot Search & Destroy - Removes ad-ware and spy ware
    Panda Scanner - On-line virus scanner and remover Avast also have one
    ZoneAlarm - Personal Firewall
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DKasler
    Stop using Internet Explorer, and download Firefox from the link in my sig.

Firefox > all
    Thanks for that (There's always atleast one in a pack).

I suggest you browse in the Medium security zone to stop most things, you can change this by going to Tools -> Internet Options... -> Security and select the Internet zone and click Default Level.

If you have Windows XP and don't have Windows XP Service Pack 2, I strongly suggest you get it now from Microsoft Windows Update

And last but not least, download Microsoft Anti-Spyware. It is a lot better than Ad-aware, more efficient, finds more and you can schedule scans to be performed automatically, and it offers memory resident protection, much like a decent virus scanner. Best of all, it's free.
    *Note, Microsoft Anti-Spyware is in beta testing, however it is very stable and still worth using, I use it and have had no issues with it at all.
    I use Microsoft Visual Basic 2005. (Therefore, most code samples I provide will be based around the .NET Framework v2.0, unless otherwise specified)

A really easy/free way to prevent Flash, JScript, whatever, from running on your IE browser is NoFlash:

http://noflash.bbshare.com/

An even easier way is to disable the plugin and disable Javascript in your security settings.
    I use Microsoft Visual Basic 2005. (Therefore, most code samples I provide will be based around the .NET Framework v2.0, unless otherwise specified)

Dont you get prompted for every flash download that way? I seem to recall that being an issue. With NoFlash, it could not be easier. You can "toggle" your settings with 1 keystroke, turning everything back on for that cool star wars trailer, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sell
    Replacing IE with FireFox will not stop spyware from getting on a machine. Get a grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideas Man
    Thanks for that (There's always atleast one in a pack).
    No, but it will help. Firefox is not rooted into the OS even 1/16 as deeply as IE, therefore there are less security holes that effect the OS and related systems.

I dont appreciate people giving me negative reputation points because I expressed the opinion that Firefox is a better, and safer browser than IE...

Someone above mentioned changing the IE security settings to medium... Why should I go through the hassle of having some ActiveX controls not working because MS makes an inferior product, and I had to up the security settings.

I realize my 1st comment was a vauge answer, but as progammers I thought most of you would be smart enough to figure out what I was referring to rather than rating my post and adding the comment "Stupid Comment". It wasn't stupid, it was right on target with the discussion and it was a correct answer/solution to part of the originally raised question.

Additionally, visualAd seemed to agree with my idea to install Firefox aswell to reduce adaware, because he made the same suggestion.

Think before you speek.
    Last edited by DKasler; Apr 21st, 2005 at 03:02 PM.
    -----MY SITES-----
    BayRidgeNights.Com - NYC Nightlife Forums

Fight Communism - Rate Posts!

Quote Originally Posted by DKasler
    Additionally, visualAd seemed to agree with my idea to install Firefox aswell to reduce adaware, because he made the same suggestion.
    The majority of viruses, spyware and adware rely on a default subset of software and settings to work. These defaults are used by most people and are wholly responsible for the ease with which viruses and worms can spread so quickly.

Deviating from the defaults means that your system will be more secure - yes, I do agree that Firefox is a lot better than Internet Explorer. I haven't used Internet Explorer for about 3 years now and have never really liked it from the outset. The number of exploits and annoyances in Internet Explorer don't make web browsing much of a pleasant experience and I often compare it to trying to navigate a mine field wearing snow shoes and a blind fold.

Its worth remembering however, that not everyone can change web browser or even want to. Many corporate intranets rely on specific functionality from Internet Explorer and loads of windows applications require it in some form or another, which, is why tips on securing Internet Explorer are just as welcome as those suggesting alternative browsers.

So, lets stop bickering over which browser is better and try and keep this thread on topic
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Quote Originally Posted by visualAd
    The majority of viruses, spyware and adware rely on a default subset of software and settings to work. These defaults are used by most people and are wholly responsible for the ease with which viruses and worms can spread so quickly.

Deviating from the defaults means that your system will be more secure - yes, I do agree that Firefox is a lot better than Internet Explorer. I haven't used Internet Explorer for about 3 years now and have never really liked it from the outset. The number of exploits and annoyances in Internet Explorer don't make web browsing much of a pleasant experience and I often compare it to trying to navigate a mine field wearing snow shoes and a blind fold.

Its worth remembering however, that not everyone can change web browser or even want to. Many corporate intranets rely on specific functionality from Internet Explorer and loads of windows applications require it in some form or another, which, is why tips on securing Internet Explorer are just as welcome as those suggesting alternative browsers.

So, lets stop bickering over which browser is better and try and keep this thread on topic
    Do I dare to reply to all this? I am not bickering, no-one is. Your browser is not the only point of entry for spyware to get on your PC, in fact not even the main one.

Downloading and installing questionable software (KaZaa, for example), screensavers, and the like is where most, if not all spyware comes from which is what this thread is about. Spyware. Not viruses or security exploits. Spyware. Regardless of the browser you use, spyware will get on your machine by installing things described above. It can take tremendous diligence to keep your PC free of this garbage especially when you have other peeps using your PC doing who-knows-what.

Macs are far easier for the typical person to control as compared to PCs.