Thread: [RESOLVED] Receiving Numerical Data from a list box to get an avg val

Resolved [RESOLVED] Receiving Numerical Data from a list box to get an avg val

Hiya,

So currently im building an application that will get me the avg of numbers that is input by the user via a text box using Doubles and arrays i got most of it working but having a little trouble figuring out
    as to why the return average code keeps giving errors
    Code:
        Private Sub btnCalculation_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) _
            Handles btnCalculation.Click
            Dim i As Integer = 0
            Dim intTopIndex As Integer = lstInput.Items.Count - 1
            Dim dblListArray(intTopIndex) As Double
            Dim dblAvg as Double
            getValues(dblListArray)
    Code:
     Sub getValues(ByRef dblListArray() As Double)
            Dim i As Integer = 0
            Dim dblNumbers(i) As Double

For i = 0 To lstNumbers.Items.Count - 1
                dblNumbers(i) = CDbl(lstNumbers.Items(i))
            Next i
    Code:
        Private Function getAverage(ByVal dblArray As Array) As Double
            Dim i As Integer = 0
            Dim iSum As Integer = 0

For i = 0 To lstNumbers.Items.Count - 1
                iTotal = iTotal + getValues(dblListArray:=) 'the error i have is here, the error is saying its expecting an Expression
            Next i

Return iTotal / lstNumbers.Items.Count - 1

End Function

Thank you
    -Shappy

You don't want to know.

Re: Receiving Numerical Data from a list box to get an avg val

See the weird bit ':=' at the end here?
    Code:
    iTotal = iTotal + getValues(dblListArray:=)
    That's a very special operator VB only uses for a feature called "named parameters" that's fun, but you probably don't need to be using.

Visual Studio likes to "helpfully" add it when you're trying to type a variable name that looks like the parameter, but isn't defined in the local context. It assumes you must mean "I want to use a named parameter" and auto-completes the name while adding the broccoli operator (:=) to it.

But you aren't trying to make a named parameter. You're confused because you have a variable named dblListArray somewhere else, but you also made a parameter named dblListArray for the GetValues() function.

In this case, you probably meant to type 'dblArray', but it's smart to name things consistently. If it's 'dblListArray' in some places, it should be 'dblListArray' in all places.

Arguably, I think you should call your parameters "input", or in the case of the ByRef one "output". That way it's easier to keep track of them.

Some people like the type warts in front, but I figure by the time we have the variable "dblListArrayInput" we may as well call it "thisIsAContiguousBlockOfMemoryWhereEverySixtyFourBytesIsConsideredToBeADoubleAndCanBeIndexedByAnInt eger". Or "input" for short.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

PowerPoster

This "(dblListArray:=)" isn't the correct syntax. (dblListArray)

But I really don't see why your calling getValues.

If all you want is the average of the items in the Listbox,
    Code:
    Public Class Form7
        Private Sub Form7_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

For i As Integer = 0 To 9
                Me.ListBox1.Items.Add(i.ToString)
            Next
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim listTotal As Decimal = 0
            Dim listAvg As Decimal = 0
            For i As Integer = 0 To Me.ListBox1.Items.Count - 1
                listTotal = listTotal + CInt(Me.ListBox1.Items(i).ToString)
            Next

listAvg = listTotal / Me.ListBox1.Items.Count

MessageBox.Show(listAvg.ToString)
        End Sub
    End Class
    I just want to add, this is a simple example and depends on there only being numeric amounts in the ListBox. In a real life scenario you would need to add code to verify the listbox data.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Nov 10th, 2017 at 04:30 PM.

thank you both very much, And i will definitely work on being more consistent with naming variables, the error did disappear and thank you wes, for showing a better way to get the average without having to call upon getnumbers().

Thank you
    -Shappy

Re: [RESOLVED] Receiving Numerical Data from a list box to get an avg val

I wanted to take a minute to reply to this even though it is resolved because there are some things that I think could be optimized and help you become a better programmer.

It looks like you're already converting values using CDbl, so if you have Option Strict on, then great! If not, then you should certainly turn it on. Since you are not using a numeric control (like a NumericUpDown) to get user input then you should use Double.TryParse to convert the String values from the TextBox to a Double:
    Code:
    'Adding values to the ListBox
    Dim input As Double
    If Double.TryParse(TextBoxInput.Text, input) Then
        lstInput.Items.Add(input)
    Else
        MessageBox.Show("Please enter a valid Double.", "Invalid Input", MessageBoxButtons.OK)
    End If
    Also, while technically you're using ByRef correctly in your getValues method, you should consider changing the method to a Function and passing the ListBox item collection as a ByVal parameter. This is much more fluid and how something like this would traditionally be written:
    Code:
    Private Function getValues(ByVal input() As ListBox.ObjectCollection) As Double()
        Dim values(input.Count - 1) As Double

For counter As Integer = 0 To input.Count - 1
            values(counter) = CDbl(input.Item(counter))
        Next

Return values
    End Function
    Finally, I don't know if this is for an assignment or not but if you're able to, use the Average enumerable method directly on the array:
    Code:
    Dim average As Double = Me.getValues(lstInput.Items).Average()
    Again, I'm not trying to nitpick your code, just trying to provide some practical solutions to help you improve.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Re: [RESOLVED] Receiving Numerical Data from a list box to get an avg val

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Finally, I don't know if this is for an assignment or not but if you're able to, use the Average enumerable method directly on the array:
    Code:
    Dim average As Double = Me.getValues(lstInput.Items).Average()
    Again, I'm not trying to nitpick your code, just trying to provide some practical solutions to help you improve.
    Hell you could do it directly on the ListBox:-
    vbnet Code:
    1. '
    2. Dim avg As Double = lstInput.Items.Cast(Of Object).Where(Function(n) Double.TryParse(n, Nothing)).Select(Function(n) CDbl(n)).Average
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber