Thread: What happened to the secure login?

Frenzied Member

What happened to the secure login?

I think it used to be secure. Firefox gives this dropdown error below the password field when I try to type in the password, notifying me that it's not secure and could be intercepted. So either this is a new warning that Firefox is capable of generating in its latest version (and vbforums.com has always been insecure), or something has happened to vbforums.com to compromise its security.

Re: What happened to the secure login?

It's a new thing that FF is doing... I'm pretty sure the developers are looking into it... Brad will probably chime in here...
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

It is a warning Firefox is giving because the site is not HTTPS. Any sites you go to that collect data will give this error if they are not set up with HTTPS. We are reviewing the move to HTTPS.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    It is a warning Firefox is giving because the site is not HTTPS. Any sites you go to that collect data will give this error if they are not set up with HTTPS. We are reviewing the move to HTTPS.
    So does that mean that right now on vbforums, my password is being sent "in the clear" (not encrypted), so that anybody could intercept it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
    So does that mean that right now on vbforums, my password is being sent "in the clear" (not encrypted), so that anybody could intercept it?
    I am guessing so, which is a bit worrying really. HTTPS for anything that involves usernames and passwords really should be the default and not something that is being reviewed.