Thread: VB6 lightweight PNG-Controls (4-State-PngButtons and a moveable Png-Image/Sprite)

PowerPoster

VB6 lightweight PNG-Controls (4-State-PngButtons and a moveable Png-Image/Sprite)

The small Demo shows a lightweight Implementation of GDI+ based Png-Handling,
    encapsulated in two small and resource-friendly windowless Controls...

It's a variation (with some improvements) from my other CodeBank-post here:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ely-per-WIA%29

One is for (Moveable) Images or Sprites -> ucPngPicture.ctl - the other is to handle
    "4-State-Png-Image"-based Buttons (Normal, Hovered, Pressed, Disabled) -> ucPngButton.ctl.

Here's a ScreenShot, what the combined 4-State-Button-Pngs look like:

The Button-States-PngResources could also be adjusted to work with 5 States (e.g. when
    you want to introduce also a "Focused" State - its just about enhancing the Png-Resource
    about the new "State-Area" - and adding a few lines of code, which ensure the correct
    Offset within the Controls "Refresh-Drawings"-routine.

To incorporate it into your existing Projects, you will have to include the 4 Files:
    • modPngCache.bas <- only contains a global Definition of PngCache As cPngCacheGDIp
    • cPngCacheGDIp.cls <- the GDI+ Handling (APIs and conversion into a 32Bit VB-StdPicture-DIB)
    • ucPngPicture.ctl <- the Png-Image- or Png-Sprite-Control
    • ucPngButton.ctl <- the (currently) 4-State-Png-Button-Implementation

Here's the Download-Link:
    http://vbRichClient.com/Downloads/Pn...AndButtons.zip

The Source-Code within the Form is quite small (BTW, also demonstrating the
    usage of VBs Usercontrols built-in HitTest-capabilities):

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Initialize() '<- early loading of all Png-Resources under their Keys (before Main-Form_Load)

'here we add true Alpha-Channel-Png-Images to the cache (with 4 Button-States per Image)
      PngCache.AddImage "Home", App.Path & "\Res\Home.png"
      PngCache.AddImage "Seven", App.Path & "\Res\Seven.png"

'now we cache another Alpha-Png, which will be rendered in a moveable Control
      PngCache.AddImage "Tucan", App.Path & "\Res\Tucan.png"
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
      'just VBs normal LoadPicture-Function, providing the Forms BackGround-Img from a *.jpg
      Set Picture = LoadPicture(App.Path & "\Res\Checker.jpg")
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Resize() 'this adjusts the two Btns, which share the "Seven"-Key at the LeftBottom-Form-Edge
      ucPngButton(3).Move 7, ScaleHeight - ucPngButton(3).Height
      ucPngButton(4).Move 54, ScaleHeight - ucPngButton(4).Height
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Paint() '<- now that's iportant here for flickerfree rendering
      'to receive Form_Paint-Events, the Form needs to remain at the default (AutoRedraw = False)
      'then we need to ensure, that each and every Png-Usercontrol we use on this Form, gets refreshed

'...starting with the Z-ordering "Bottom-Up" (the first refr. ucPng-Ctl is "bottom-most", a.s.o.)
      ucPngPicture1.Refresh

Dim i As Long 'after the movable Png-Picture-Ctl above, we follow up with our 4 Png-Buttons below
      For i = 1 To 4: ucPngButton(i).Refresh: Next
    End Sub

Private Sub ucPngButton_Click(Index As Integer)
      Caption = "ucPngButton " & Index & " -> " & ucPngButton(Index).Key
    End Sub

'just a demonstration of the HitTest-Event (which by default, when not explicitely handled - would
    'detect a Hit on the current *rectangular* Ctl-Region) - here we adjust the Hit-Detection with the
    '"circle-formula" -> R = Sqr(x^2 + y^2), to the circular region of the round Buttons, so when you move
    'the Mouse diagonally across the Button-"edges", it should give a hit only when you cross the circumference
    Private Sub ucPngButton_HitTest(Index As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single, HitResult As HitResultConstants)
      Const R = 20 '<- we define a Radius of 20 Pixels for our userdefined HitTest
      Dim cx: cx = ucPngButton(Index).Width / 2
      Dim cy: cy = ucPngButton(Index).Height / 2

HitResult = IIf(Sqr((X - cx) ^ 2 + (Y - cy) ^ 2) < R, vbHitResultHit, vbHitResultOutside)
    End Sub
    And the appropriate ScreenShot of the small Demo-App:

Have fun with it...

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Feb 28th, 2014 at 06:22 PM.

Re: VB6 lightweight PNG-Controls (4-State-PngButtons and a moveable Png-Image/Sprite)

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    To incorporate it into your existing Projects, you will have to include the 4 Files:
    • modPngCache.bas <- only contains a global Definition of PngCache As cPngCacheGDIp
    Wouldn't setting cPngCacheGDIp.cls'

Code:
    Attribute VB_PredeclaredId = False
    to True achieve the same effect as

Code:
    Public PngCache As New cPngCacheGDIP 'let's have it declared here for global usage (we only need one of it for the whole App)
    ? (thus no more need for a standard module)

I just had to rename your demo project's cPngCacheGDIP class to PngCache in order to maintain compatibility with the existing PngCache references in your code.
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 lightweight PNG-Controls (4-State-PngButtons and a moveable Png-Image/Sprite)

Ah - good catch Bonnie.

Didn't thought about the Flag... (which is the same one, you can set in the IDE in an ActiveX-dll project per: [Instancing] Property to [6-GlobalMultiUse]).

In a normal StdExe-Project, the VB-IDE doesn't provide this Flag in its visible Interface - so one would have to resort to manually editing the *.cls-File, to achieve the desired effect.

Thanks for the hint.

Olaf

Howdy.
    Download the file "http://vbRichClient.com/Downloads/Pn...AndButtons.zip" and got the following error:

Invalid procedure call or argument

Here:

Public Property Get Picture(Key As String) As StdPicture
    Set Picture = Images(Key)
    End Property

PowerPoster

In case this was with the original, unchanged source - then "on what system do you use that" (Win98 might be a problem with regards to the GDI+ libs).

If you changed code in the Demo, I'd like to see (all) your changes (or better yet - an uploaded project with your code).

Olaf

Olaf,

Thanks for your reply.
    I am running XP.
    Did not make any changes at all.
    Simply downloaded and tried to run.

I then tried this:

It runs.
    I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to use it.
    I am stuck with the following:

I try to use this:

PngCache.AddImage "Spider", App.Path & "\Spider.png"
    Set Button1 = New cButton: Button2.InitOn Me, "Spider", 100, 100

The image appears fine but when I hover the mouse over the image, the image disappears.
    Could you perhaps provide an example with a standard PNG that only has 1 state?
    i.e. what needs to be changed just to put a single PNG on the form ?

Danke!

David

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by kembreg View Post
    Olaf,

Thanks for your reply.
    I am running XP.
    Did not make any changes at all.
    Simply downloaded and tried to run.

I then tried this:

It runs.

Then the other application should run as well IMO, because the cPngCacheGDIp.cls is to 99%
    the same as in the other project (there's only some slight changes with an additional
    Stretch-Parameter).

So I'd rather find out what went wrong with this Demo here on your XP-machine, because
    I think that it's the more intuitive one to use in "normal scenarios".

When you write, that an error happens "here":

End Property

In what line exactly - and since you're in a breakpoint then - could you please check,
    if there's content at all in the Images-Collection?
    e.g. by using:
    ?Images.Count, "should give 3"
    or
    ?Images("Home") Is Nothing, "should give False"
    or
    ?Images("Seven") Is Nothing, "should give False"
    or
    ?Images("Tucan") Is Nothing, "should give False"

all in the DirectWindow, whilst you are at the breakpoint...

Maybe there's something different on XP - but if the other, earlier Demo works,
    then we should be able to make this (easier to use) one work too.

Olaf

Frenzied Member

If it helps, Olaf, I just tested the demo concerned on XP SP3 and no errors...
    If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there...

My VB6 love-children: Vee-Hive and Vee-Launcher

PowerPoster

Thanks for the feedback Colin - good to know - so I'm not going to undertake any further investigations at the moment...

Name:  invalid-procedure-error.jpg
Views: 2407
Size:  40.4 KB

Olaf,

Downloaded again, unzipped, ran -> same error.
    the variable "Key" has the value "Key"

David

Olaf,

Looked a bit. The key is coming from label1.caption
    Could not see this control nor could I see how it gets the value "Key"

PowerPoster

Ah ...

so you're perhaps trying to assign a Png-image to the picture-prop in the Form-Designer?
    That's currently not supported on this "lightweight-version" of the control(s).

You will have to assign your Png-Images to the Cache-Instance instead (once - either in Sub Main or in Form-Initialize -
    as shown in the Demo, where those images are loaded as resources).

This way you can share the same Cached-Key among several instances of such a Control.

Olaf

Ah ...

so you're perhaps trying to assign a Png-image to the picture-prop in the Form-Designer?
    That's currently not supported on this "lightweight-version" of the control(s).

You will have to assign your Png-Images to the Cache-Instance instead (once - either in Sub Main or in Form-Initialize -
    as shown in the Demo, where those images are loaded as resources).

This way you can share the same Cached-Key among several instances of such a Control.

Olaf
    ------------------------------
    I have not made any changes at all to your code.
    Download, unzip, run.

David

Olaf,

When the X or Y coordinates is too high, the image will not render.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kembreg; Apr 15th, 2014 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Fixed by myself

PowerPoster

Olaf,

When the X or Y coordinates is too high, the image will not render.
    Any ideas?
    I don't know which version you currently use - and would like very much,
    that you upload a simple version of your own adaptions, which shows the
    behaviour you mentioned (in a small zip-file).

That way it would be most painless for all and a solution could be found very fast.

Olaf

I don't know which version you currently use - and would like very much,
    that you upload a simple version of your own adaptions, which shows the
    behaviour you mentioned (in a small zip-file).

That way it would be most painless for all and a solution could be found very fast.

Olaf
    Olaf, könntest du mir bitte eine email schicken: kembreg yahoo COMunity

Ich schicke dir dann den Code.

Danke.

PowerPoster

My public E-Mail should already be exposed somewhere in my "user-info-page" here.

Though I don't understand, what's so complicated in making a small example in a fresh,
    new Std-Exe-project... Even if your "real App" is much larger, you should be able to
    reproduce the behaviour you see also in a small Mockup-Demo, which only contains
    the source of my uploaded controls ... + the few lines (and a few "unimportant images")
    of your own.

Creating something like that - checking if the error is reproducable - then uploading in a zip ...
    all that should take up only 10-15 minutes.

I can ensure you, that I invested more time whilst writing this demo for the benefit of all -
    why not try a bit, to save some time on my end "in return"...

If it's not the time (or your intellectual property) you're concerned about, but potential
    "code-quality issues" - (fearing that others will mock you about it) - that's not happening
    here IMO - there's occasional criticism, but that's a normal thing - and needed to get better
    with something...

I'd just repost the Zip with my corrections and a few comments - you will see no ridiculing
    from my end - but errors need to be pointed out to others - of course also my own ones
    (in case it was me, who was responsible for the misbehaviour you encountered).

Olaf

Olaf,

I figuret it out.
    I was rendering the images in the form "load" event event.

At design time, if the form is not big enough, the methods will not paint the images even through the "windowstate" is set to max.
    During the load event, the windowstate is always "normal" regardless of what it is actually set too.

David

PowerPoster

I figuret it out.
    I was rendering the images in the form "load" event event.

At design time, if the form is not big enough, the methods will not paint the images even through the "windowstate" is set to max.
    During the load event, the windowstate is always "normal" regardless of what it is actually set too.
    Not sure, what version of the Png-Rendering you're using now (the "older one" from the other Link, or this one here),
    but if it works for you now, then fine...

For an even better (and easier to code) Png-Rendering-support you could also consider using vbRichClient5
    (there's Demos for that here in the CodeBank, but also in the large Cairo-Tutorial on vbRichClient.com.

Olaf

i fixed #4 error with this way :

Code:
    in ucPngButton.ctl

Public Sub Refresh()

If Ambient.UserMode Then ScaleMode = vbPixels Else Exit Sub
      If Shape1.Visible Then Shape1.Visible = False
      If Label1.Visible Then Label1.Visible = False
      With Extender
        If .Container.AutoRedraw Then .Container.AutoRedraw = False
        If .Container.ScaleMode <> vbPixels Then .Container.ScaleMode = vbPixels

If Key = "Key" Then
    Exit Sub
    End If

.Move .Left, .Top, PngCache.Width(Key), PngCache.Height(Key) \ PngCache.Height(Key) / PngCache.Width(Key)
        PngCache.AlphaRenderTo .Container.HDc, Key, .Left, .Top, .Width, .Height, 0, .Height * State
      End With
    End Sub

in cPngCacheGDIP.cls

If Key = "Key" Then
    Exit Sub
    End If

End Property

Public Property Get Width(Key As String) As Long
    If Key = "Key" Then
    Exit Sub
    End If
      Width = Picture(Key).Width / Screen.TwipsPerPixelX * 0.566929133858268
    End Property

Public Property Get Height(Key As String) As Long
    If Key = "Key" Then
    Exit Sub
    End If
      Height = Picture(Key).Height / Screen.TwipsPerPixelY * 0.566929133858268
    End Property

Public Sub AlphaRenderTo(ByVal HDc As Long, Key As String, Optional ByVal X As Long, Optional ByVal Y As Long, _
                                                               Optional ByVal dX As Long, Optional ByVal dY As Long, _
                                                               Optional ByVal XSrc As Long, Optional ByVal YSrc As Long, _
                                                               Optional ByVal Stretch As Boolean, Optional ByVal GlobalAlpha As Double = 1)
      If dX = 0 Then dX = Width(Key)
      If dY = 0 Then dY = Height(Key)
          If Key = "Key" Then
                Exit Sub
          End If

If Picture(Key).Handle Then OldBM = SelectObject(mhDC, Picture(Key).Handle)
      If Stretch Then
        GdiAlphaBlend HDc, X, Y, dX, dY, mhDC, XSrc, YSrc, Width(Key), Height(Key), 2 ^ 24 + &HFF0000 * GlobalAlpha
      Else
        GdiAlphaBlend HDc, X, Y, dX, dY, mhDC, XSrc, YSrc, dX, dY, 2 ^ 24 + &HFF0000 * GlobalAlpha
      End If
      If OldBM Then SelectObject mhDC, OldBM
    End Sub

Name:  img_btn_login.png
Views: 1019
Size:  3.3 KB
    这种长方形的按钮如何显示?How is this rectangular button displayed?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  11.8 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  14.6 KB

PowerPoster

I have written one of my life's largest VB6 control project, PNG transparent button.I don't know if I did it wrong, because once the control is transparent, it can't be placed on top of other images or webbrowers.
    So my idea is to use a non-transparent control, if I place the custom control on a button or a table control, my practice is to copy the elements behind the control as images into my custom control.
    If I want to put this custom control above the playing video, it will not be truly transparent.The above content is used translation software, attached to the original Chinese.
    我曾经写过一个我人生中最大的vb6 控件工程,png透明按钮。我不知道我是不是做错了,因为一旦控件透明,他就没办法放置在其他图像或者网页控件webbrower上面。
    所以我的想法是用非透明的控件,如果我这个自定义控件放置在一个按钮或者表格控件上面,我的做法是先把控件后面的元素以图片方式复制到我的自定义控件里面。
    如果要把我这个自定义控件放置在正在播放的视频上面,它就没办法做到真正的透明。以上内容是用翻译软件,附上原来的中文。