Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Basic, in Visual Basic?

Re: Where is the Basic, in Visual Basic?

-- Well actually .NET has a special process for Winsock. It's not called: Winsock. However it is TCP/IP enabled and also it works with Data IN/OUT from the modem, using that Control...
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    -- Well actually .NET has a special process for Winsock. It's not called: Winsock. However it is TCP/IP enabled and also it works with Data IN/OUT from the modem, using that Control...
    What the.....???? Why does this post read like it was produced by Google Translate ?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

It wasn't and can members/guests stop saying that. It wasn't I write/speak/read only English...
    I have a huge free products range, of computer software in which you can download using any kind of 64-Bit Web Browser. Also there is coming a Social Networking section that I am making on my Website...

|Ambra Productions Inc. | The Black Sun Society | The Black Shield | Ambra College | Church of the Black Sun | Ambra Productions Inc's Homepage | Boomtick Event's Venues: Ambar Nightclub, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Villa Nightclub and Lucy's Bar | Pasta Ambra | Fish Feast Company | Wallet Wizard | Ambrose Liquor | Ambar Tavern | Ambra University |

Do you wish to do unpaid work for me??? If so, the PM me on this Forum, and then we can get to work, programming for the future of computers go by the name of ThEiMp. This is my ghost writers name. Also my nickname, means that I am: The Imperial of the Technology Industry, so then to make it really short, I just then wrote: The Imp, which is where I get the nickname from...

Well you said .Net has a "process".....what does that mean ? .Net doesn't have processes. A process is a running application.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I meant a function that has been written inside it to execute at a certain time when the programmer uses that specific command...

A function isn't the same thing as a Control which was what I was talking about.

That was just a mistake that I had made...

PowerPoster

I have no idea what he was talking about either. VB.Net has the Sockets class, the TCPClient class and the TCP Listener class. It is also possible to use the winsock control but not recommended.

I personally ended up using the sockets class, probably the most complex method but I managed to get good results with it and really like the fact that you can use it as blocking or non blocking depnding on which methods you use. In my case I had a procedure where it really needed to wait for a response before going forward and was rather tricky using the winsock control whereas the blocking methods offered by the sockets class work just fine and made it much easier to reuse the code.

Prior to switching to .net I had to use this procedure in many programs and had done my best to make it reusable but no matter what I tried I still had to fudge it a bit to get it to work in each project. With the .net routines I have basically created a class that I can drop into any project and it handles all TCP communications with no changes.

Really, I had "Ms Someone" at the firm to try using Winsock in Visual Studio 2002 .NET and then it kept on crashing their application and this was a data base that was trying to connect to their Server so that it could update the data base on the Client machines. Please note that this was a internal data base program, that was used for the Aussie AFL Football Tipping for our firm, only...

Well like DataMiser said, using the VB6 Winsock control in VB.Net is not a recommended practice.

PowerPoster

There is probably a reason why .Net versions before 2003 are not available from MS as well. I remember installing the RC of the first .net available and it was a bit buggy. I did not start using .Net until 2003 was released.

Well like all new programs and applications. There are bugs that have to be worked out, using good programming skills. However I don't know why Mircosoft didn't finish debugging it properly, when they were able to release it in the first place???

Quote Originally Posted by ThEiMp View Post
    Well like all new programs and applications. There are bugs that have to be worked out, using good programming skills. However I don't know why Mircosoft didn't finish debugging it properly, when they were able to release it in the first place???
    That seems to be the thing! The longer there is between releases the less bugs there will be. Just look at Windows 95,Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows ME, however, if you compare that to two operating systems that had a longer period between them say Windows XP although, Vista was a flop. I think the same can be said about Visual Studios in regard to having less bugs the longer the project is worked on.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

Windows 95, 98 and ME should not be considered in the same line as Windows 2000.

Win2k was the next release of Windows NT just as Windows XP was the next in that same line. So it goes Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2000 was the most stable they had produced to that date and in many ways was the best they have produced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Windows 95, 98 and ME should not be considered in the same line as Windows 2000.
    Hey, don't take it out on me! I was only telling it how it was written on the Microsoft Operating System history page.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

PowerPoster

Hehe... well that was the release order but they were really 2 different product lines until XP with the NT versions being 32 bit and the 9x versions being some hybrid 8/16/32 bit

Well, I suppose you could just look at Vista compared to Windows 7.

PowerPoster

Getting back to OP's original statements / questions / observations, I don't suppose anyone who has never used VBA, vbScript or VB6 will find VB.NET ' more difficult' because they will have nothing to measure it against. You could take a view that, in 2012, the 'entry level' for Basic is a .NET version and it would be a 'take it or leave' it situation if there wasn't so much VBA out there.

In the 1960's, operating a TV used to be simple, there was an On/Off switch, Volume, Brightness, Contrast Controls and Channel Selector (Black and White only and over here there was only one Channel then). In 2012 you can't buy one without a hand held control with loads of buttons to do all sorts of things that weren't possible in 1960's. That advancement has required us to be 're-educated' to learn how to get the best out of the TV 'system'. If you only want to watch one channel and change the Volume, Contrast and Brightness, then fine, the learning curve is slight. Those of you born in more recent years have only ever experienced TVs with hand held controls and don't find any difficulty using them.

When I was at School we used Log Tables for assisting in performing calculations, at College we 'migrated' to Slide-Rules and at work to Mechanical Calculators then Electronic Calcluators and finally Computers.

Same with VB vs VB.NET - the baseline has moved up. The difference being that it's difficult to purchase a Slide-Rule and Mechanical Calculator these days, but there's so much VBA and VBScript out there that it's probably never going to die (although that was said about Mainframes not so long ago)

For a 'beginners' language these days, take a look at Python. Fairly simple syntax yet very powerful and multi-platform.

PowerPoster

Er, mainframes aren't dead by any means. My last contract was ripping out a balky .Net application and replacing it with a VB6 application... that talks to a mainframe.

But in general you are right, VB.Net is Microsoft's "gateway drug" programming language today.

The big questions are (1.) Why hasn't VBA been replaced yet? and (2.) If VBA is viable why is there no updated VB (as in VB4, 5, 6) available? One excuse has been "gosh, we can't do it anymore" but supporting VBA in Office is probably a solid 50% or more of what a Classic VB6.1 might require.

Of course nobody really wants a mere VB6.1 today anyway. There is no question the language could benefit from a ton of new features at this late date. But once that is done the result might seem just as "difficult" as VB.Net to somebody right off the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    If VBA is viable why is there no updated VB (as in VB4, 5, 6) available?
    Give them a decade or two and they'll probably come up with VBA.Net.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

Moved to the General Developer Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Give them a decade or two and they'll probably come up with VBA.Net.
    That will never happen. Microsoft is moving away from VBA in office as well. Office 2013 uses web based languages which means HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and you'll need Visual Studio 2012 for development.

Quote Originally Posted by Joacim Andersson View Post
    That will never happen. Microsoft is moving away from VBA in office as well. Office 2013 uses web based languages which means HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and you'll need Visual Studio 2012 for development.
    They're gonna alienate a lot of people with that move. I personally don't agree with that move. I'd much prefer they go into .Net instead. HTML and CSS seems way more messy than a real programing language. And besides, its gear towards layouts rather than performing actions.

You still have VSTO for .Net development for Office.

PowerPoster

VSTA/VSTO are pretty moribund though, and never did see heavy adoption. I can't imagine the typical Office VBA user will ever make that move and the lack of integration just makes it even less likely.

The move to JavaScript, et al. is interesting though. It is no secret that the internal teams at Microsoft are at war, and the Office Team has markets beyond the domain of the Windows Team and no reason to "be beholden to" the Visual Studio/Tools Team. Such a move might clearly be in the interest of Office even if it leaves the other groups behind.

The move to JavaScript, et al. is interesting though. It is no secret that the internal teams at Microsoft are at war, and the Office Team has markets beyond the domain of the Windows Team and no reason to "be beholden to" the Visual Studio/Tools Team. Such a move might clearly be in the interest of Office even if it leaves the other groups behind.
    I don't really think that there are any wars among the teams at Microsoft and the statement that the Office team has markets beyond the Windows team is just ridiculous. There are far more installations of Windows compared to Office.

The second statement is also wrong since you need VS to develop Office apps using JS/HTML

The reason that Office now supports web languages is simply because of Office for Windows RT. Office needs to run on touch devices with ARM processors.

I too am an engineer who learned BASIC way back in the year 1984 by reading a book and staying up late at night with my Apple IIe computer....green phosphorous screen and all 64K of RAM. I don't have the time to read all 100+ replies to this thread so let me add my 2¢ worth on this topic.

In the last 4 months I have had to learn VB.NET and as I learn more it gets easier but it's still too much for what my needs are... most of the time. And with that there are too many times when I search for or ask for information on something I get bombarded with replies which contain way too much fluff with mouse and forms and all those trappings which everyone think are so essential. If I understand the OP's request here I can tell you that most of the time I don't need a mouse, or a form. I just want to read a text file, do some calculations and feed that information to something like another text file, or perhaps an Excel spreadsheet or dump it to a network drive where a CNC machine out in the shop can read it and make some parts. I don't need no stinking users to get in my way, I don't need help screens, I don't need nothing but raw cpu cycles reading and processing data and making something and saving time and improving accuracy.

That said I can tell you that if I could get away with it, I'd pull up my old copy of QBASIC and just get on with making short programs which just do the work and get out of the way. The bulk of the stuff I do is automation and getting the users out of the loop. I once wrote a BASIC program, using BASICA on an old IBM PC which did linear optimization for cutting up stock lengths of aluminum extrusions. The meat of the program was maybe 100 lines...yes with line numbers even....but the program ended up being over 1000 lines long. The other 900 lines were to make the thing user friendly.

I enjoy programming with VB.NET using VS 2012 Express and I will keep growing with it, but for what the OP describes it sounds like we're on the same page. You don't need all the whistles and bells to get the job done most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladamir View Post
    I too am an engineer who learned BASIC way back in the year 1984 by reading a book and staying up late at night with my Apple IIe computer....green phosphorous screen and all 64K of RAM. I don't have the time to read all 100+ replies to this thread so let me add my 2¢ worth on this topic.
    Damn, I miss those green screens and the simplistic ways of doing things. Mind you, you couldn't accomplish as much then as you can now.

I remember working late on the Commodore C64, now that was something. But then I don't remember much from those days, even. However those days were like something of a dream or a nightmare, though...

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Vladamir View Post
    You don't need all the whistles and bells to get the job done most of the time.
    Sounds like vbScript will do everything you need. (Automate Excel, Read and Write files, perform calculations, minimal User Interface etc. etc.)

They are not the only ones. I am heavy into AutoCAD automation and AutoDesk has already announced their intent to abandon VBA in favor of .NET due to the earlier decision by Microsoft. You can still use VBA with AutoCAD products but it's no longer installed with the product and you have to download and install the module separately.

Man, really??? Do you have to pay for it, I bet you do. That is one way of making a buck, isn't it???

PowerPoster

VBA Support in Access in Office 2013
    I have been hearing rumours that VBA will no longer be supported in the next iteration of Microsoft Office.
    Realistically, nothing changed for desktop applications between Access 2010 and Access 2013. All changes in Access 2013 are related to web applications (and web applications can only use macros, not VBA)

And while Office 2013 will be usable on tablets, unfortunately Access isn't included in that particular build.
    What he means is "a form of" Office 2013 works in the Metro/RT environment.

I think we're seeing an incredible amount of misinformation presented in this thread. Office 2013 still fully supports VBA and comes with no form of VS.Net at all. See What's new for Office 2013 developers. The use of VS 2012 is entirely optional, and few users or Office developers will need it.

So then what happens if your apps aren't supported when you load them into Access. Well that does hurt me, we're running Office 2007, still and have not a chance in hell of changing or rather more over upgrading just yet!!

I think we're seeing an incredible amount of misinformation presented in this thread. Office 2013 still fully supports VBA and comes with no form of VS.Net at all. See What's new for Office 2013 developers. The use of VS 2012 is entirely optional, and few users or Office developers will need it.
    Where did you see any misinformation? What I said was that Microsoft is moving away from VBA, I didn't say that it was gone yet. VBA is however gone in the Office 2013 version that will be available for Windows RT. If you want to develop for that you need to go the web language route and the IDE for that would be VS 2012.

PowerPoster

Are you talking about "Apps for Office" or something?
    Apps for Office enable a new extensibility model for supported Office 2013 client applications. This new model is designed to enable web developers to easily create web-based solutions that extend Office client applications. An app for Office is essentially a webpage that can be hosted inside an Office client application to provide extended content or functionality within a document, hosted in a task pane that is associated with the client application, or activated contextually in an email message. Apps for Office provide a new way to extend Office client applications through standard web technologies like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and REST.
    That appears to be yet another attempt at a "sidecar" technology hanging off some Office applications. Sort of a JavaScript version of the VSTA/VSTO attempts that haven't prospered. One advantage is that you can use 3rd party tools... or even Notepad in theory, though in practice you'd want VS 2012 or the "Napa" Office 365 Development Tools.

I guess we'll just have to see whether it takes off. But I suspect it will have a hard time overcoming VBA.

Macros, developer tools yanked

Sources close to Microsoft claim that the version of Office 2013 that ships for Redmond's Surface tablet and other ARM systems will be missing features from the build for rival Intel-based Windows machines.

Among the items to be pruned from the version of Office for ARM-based Windows RT will be macros, third-party add-ons, and support for Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
    As far as I can tell the only thing that might work on RT are those "Apps for Office" when they are hosted on a remote Web server.

Does anyone have links to articles on actually creating and using any sort of JavaScript macros locally in Office under RT?
    Last edited by dilettante; Nov 18th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

I wasn't only referring to Apps For Office (in the sense of apps that you can distribute in the app store), there is a completely new JavaScript object model built in to Office that allows you to interact with the content, much like you do with VBA. When I stated that the IDE for using these web languages for Office would be VS 2012 I meant that you need an external tool for development unlike the VBA IDE which has always been shipped together with Office. Of course, since we're talking about HTML, CSS, and JavaScript here you can of course use any text editor to create the content but VS 2012 has templates for it.

Apps for Windows RT does not have to be hosted on a remote server. You can distribute them via the app store and people can then download and install them. There is a special Office Store for this purpose.

PowerPoster

Apps for Windows RT does not have to be hosted on a remote server. You can distribute them via the app store and people can then download and install them. There is a special Office Store for this purpose.
    But that seems to conflict with Anatomy of an app for Office. It appears the Office App Store only hosts a manifest.

What am I missing? Is there some disconnected model supported that just isn't discussed there?

You can still use a Text Editor, like Notepad or even Wordpad to piece together the proper language Forms, Modules and also Class Modules for VB6 COM. However I'm not really sure that you can do this for .NET and also #, as well...

PowerPoster

As people get a good whiff of Windows 8 and where things are headed more and more of them may start looking for ways to hedge their bets. One option is to "say goodbye" and that is becoming an easier proposition every day.

Nothing says you need to "move" at all right away. But for those still on XP through Windows 7 there are cheap ways to begin exploring alternatives.

My General PC thread at http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...roid-x86-Basic talks about how you can run Android for x86 in a VirtualBox or VPC VM, or even an old PC. From there you can start looking at the growing number of Basics for the Android world.

I've begun to explore the idea of an Android desktop since I already have an Android phone, set-top box, and tablet. This convergence is quite similar to the direction Microsoft is headed with Windows 8, but without the baggage and uncertainty.

Seriously, how many people buy a Windows-based phone these days?

While I'm using the Android SDK and Java for more serious development, a simple Basic for quick-n-dirty is always nice. Unlike some of the more ambitious Android Basic development tools which are for cross-development, the RFO BASIC! I am playing with allows you to develop and test right on your Android computer: no Windows, Mac, etc. required.

I posted a simple TCP/IP demo there too, in case anyone is interested.

For those who find VB.Net or even VB6 more than they need, some of these more "basic" Basics might fill the bill. The RFO BASIC! is more like a QBasic or Atari, etc. Basic with some extensions for the platform and for things like TCP/IP and HTML.

Right now some of this requires more background than the average Joe might have. VirtualBox, builds of Android 4.0 for x86, and BASIC! are all free, but getting them all playing together takes a little work. Of course you can take an under $100 Android tablet and a USB keyboard and put RFO BASIC! on there and start banging away.

Unlike Win8 RT Android is still an open world. So you can get RFO BASIC! for free from the author's site, Amazon's Android Store, and it is probably on Google Play as well.

Options are always nice, especially the ones that only cost you some time to explore.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast