Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] How often is NEGATIVE feedback (rep) used?

Resolved [RESOLVED] How often is NEGATIVE feedback (rep) used?

I think in the last 5 years, I've gotten negative feedback (rep) three times... I don't think I have given negative rep out ever. I think most of us are quicker to dole out the good rep, and not so much the negative rep, at least I know I am... so I'm curious how often people hand out negative rep - I'm not looking for official numbers, unless they're a stat that is readily available and releasable.... I guess it's an informal survey... there have been a couple of posts today where I thought about using negative rep as sort of a smack up side the head. Does any one actually give out neg rep? How often? Under what kind of circumstances?

-tg

(admins - as I get ready to hit the post button, I realize that the forum feedback section may or may not be the appropriate place for this, if you want to move it, no problem.)
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: How often is NEGATIVE feedback (rep) used?

Hi techgnome,

I would not even know how to post negative rep as yet, so please do teach me how to do this since there is a LOAD of negative rep that I would love to post at this point after some of today's posts.

You know what I mean.

Cheers,

Ian

This forum is fine. The discussion works here as well as anywhere.

Negative feedback is generally used sparingly. I tend to only do it when people violate the rules or say something that is so undisputably wrong that it could cause others problems.

Quote Originally Posted by IanRyder View Post
    Hi techgnome,

I would not even know how to post negative rep as yet, so please do teach me how to do this since there is a LOAD of negative rep that I would love to post at this point after some of today's posts.

You know what I mean.

Cheers,

Ian
    Click the (rate this post) and then Disapprove

Cheers Steve,

I will click that option the next time I need to.

Many thanks,

Ian

Oh goody. Now we can all sit and wait for Ian's dark shadow to cross our paths!

I never give bad rep and I honestly don't think it should be in the power of us ordinary mortals to do it. Fair enuff if moderators want to give a lesson but otherwise it's too personal (the only one I've ever received was simply used as a means of transmitting an insult!) It's also a bit underhanded. If you've got objections to something then you should have the cojones to say so in the discussion (and be prepared to take any flak that results!)
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

Oh goody. Now we can all sit and wait for Ian's dark shadow to cross our paths!
    Why would you say that without understanding why I posted that comment?

Everyone deserves their own opinion dunfiddlin, so you make your own mind up, but have a look here to see why I eventually made that final comment:-

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...37#post4522637

Ian

I thought you needed to be a power posted (2048 posts+) before you could give negative rep? I don't see the option when trying to rate someone.

Before we made the change, I think I gave a negative rep once, but it was because someone was being extremely rude to a member.

You do have to be a power poster before you can give negative reps.

That is correct.

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oddly, that's the thread that got me to thinking about this (there are a couple of other threads too, but this was a part of it) ... Ironically, Ian... it was YOUR posts #30 & #34 that drove me to report the thread - which is how Joacim Andersson came to be involved... I thought about giving those posts negative rep for their content... but I didn't necessarily want them to be punitive, again, more of a smack up side the head and "what were you thinking?!" ... I also didn't want to further derail that thread, or create any more animosity, as there seemed to be a lot already.

We're all going to have differences of opinions from time to time, but it was my opinion that that thread in question went off the rails almost from the start and wasn't showing any signs of righting itself. At least not without help. I was trying to figure if there was an effective way to get someone's attention w/o the public flogging and wouldn't also then muddy the thread even more.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

Post 30 deleted.
    Post 34 Edited.

:|
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

I have given exactly one negative rep in my time here: It was to JMC, and I did it by mistake. He was most puzzled, as my comment was positive. I asked somebody to reverse it, though I don't know whether or not it was reversed. If it wasn't reversed, the it still stands as the only negative rep I have ever given. I find that fairly amusing, since I set the record straight with JMC himself.

I think that I got a negative from a very uncivil person a few years back. He had a rep power of 0, though, so it showed as a grey gem. I only figure it was negative because of the comment (and the generally unpleasant nature of that individual).

By the way, not to derail this, but as I was typing this post I noticed that the bottoms of all the characters such as g were being cut off. There was a recent thread about this in this very forum. The previous sentence had several g's in it, and they were all chopped off...until I was nearly finished with the sentence at which they all suddenly appeared. Quite odd.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    We're all going to have differences of opinions from time to time
    Neil deGrasse Tyson...
    Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean that what you don't agree with is wrong.
    @shaggy - I posted that about the missing-descenders last week - tried to see what might be causing it - but found nothing firm. Found some links on the interweb about it - so it's not something completely rare...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Why would you say that without understanding why I posted that comment?
    Calm down, dear! It was just an ironic comment that I forgot to put a next to! I had read the offending thread and I can see where you're coming from but I still think reporting to the mods is the more effective way of dealing with the offender!
    As the 6-dimensional mathematics professor said to the brain surgeon, "It ain't Rocket Science!"

Reviews: "dunfiddlin likes his DataTables" - jmcilhinney

Please be aware that whilst I will read private messages (one day!) I am unlikely to reply to anything that does not contain offers of cash, fame or marriage!

@ Tech Gnome Why are you worried about negative rep (red gems) anyway? Your reputation is looking very green.

Edit:

On a different note I have a certain user constantly giving me green gems, it is becoming very annoying.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Oct 4th, 2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    @shaggy - I posted that about the missing-descenders last week - tried to see what might be causing it - but found nothing firm. Found some links on the interweb about it - so it's not something completely rare...
    I was pretty sure that it was you who had started that thread, but as I was writing I couldn't check. I think I mentioned in that thread that I saw the phenomenon myself, but it was still interesting to see it happen then fix itself all over the course of a single sentence.

Hi All,

My apologies for a few of my comments yesterday. As you can all guess I got a bit incensed and my itchy fingers probably got the better of me.

@techgnome, if only PC's had remote hands then you could have reached through and give me that clip around the head to curb a few of my posts.

Have a good day everyone and happy coding.

Cheers,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by dunfiddlin View Post
    Calm down, dear! It was just an ironic comment that I forgot to put a next to! I had read the offending thread and I can see where you're coming from but I still think reporting to the mods is the more effective way of dealing with the offender!
    Yup, reporting the offending thread/post is the best way to handle the situation rather than getting into an unnecessary argument. Giving a -ve rep is totally your discretion though. I gave one a couple of years back when a user was abusive and then he gave one back to me (pure retaliation) and then Martinliss and Hack were involved to solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    On a different note I have a certain user constantly giving me green gems, it is becoming very annoying.
    If you feel that you have been targeted unnecessarily, please pm a mod with all the details. If what you say is correct and the mod(s) feel that you have been unnecessarily targeted then we can then highlight it to Brad or Steve and they will be reversed.

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Having read that thread all I can say is... WOW... just WOW!! I was actually tempted to post somethging a bit supportive to the OP (especialliy as at one point he seemed to think the row was his fault) but then I figured I'd just be adding to the noise and things had generally chilled a bit by the end.

Anyway, I personally would prefer a world without negative reps. I can't think of a single situation where giving one wouldn't be better serverd by a polite post or a report to a mod. If someone's getting abusive the report it to a mod. If someone posts something incorrect then a polite correcting post is more productive than a negative rep (I can't stress how important the word "polite" was there though). A negative rep is only going to lead to the kind of tit for tat Koolsid described.

I do think we should keep them for one reason though. JM's got far too many green gems and it's therefore all our civic responsibilities to reign him in before he's got too many to render in an IE window. Shaggy's been doing his bit already and I think it's lax of the rest of us to have left it so late.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    ...especialliy as at one point he seemed to think the row was his fault...
    I code so much SQL that I had to go back to that thread to see where a SQL INSERT was mentioned...

Someone help me please

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Koolsid
    Who's that? There ain't no Koolsid here, though I'd have to say that I'm tempted to create such a member just to cause confusion.

Oddly, I did think of a situation where I would use a negative rep just this morning. I do think that simply handing out a negative isn't likely to be helpful, but I thought of a way to make it a compliment and that's all I'm going to say about it at this time.

@szlamany: I had a similar, though lesser, reaction. I was just wondering where he had mentioned rows at all. I thought it was about random numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Who's that? There ain't no Koolsid here, though I'd have to say that I'm tempted to create such a member just to cause confusion.
    Good luck with that....
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

People have asked, at times, whether or not that was possible. I would have preferred to just use the name Shaggy, but somebody with 0 posts had the name already. By now, I don't think it would be right to change it, though I think I could increasingly go with the name Sasquatch.

But then the obligatory "Messin' w' Sasquatch" thread would show up.

-tg

Isn't that kinda like complaining about someone sending you free stuff every Christmas ? If you don't want them, hell I'd take them. I'm not one to refuse free stuff

On this topic of negative reps. Its funny I never got any or given any out. Until this thread I had no idea that they were given as often as implied by the posters in this thread.

I tend to prefer trading barbs with vicious users. For example Me and Olaf (User name:Schmidt) got into several heated arguments here and even though many of his posts were good contenders for a negative rep, I elected to return venom of my own instead. Hell I even gave him positive reps for things he said that I thought were good. Its not in my nature to report people who offend me. Negative reps fall into this category as well.

I guess its the culture I'm from, which frowns upon people that like to run to authority figures when someone hurts their delicate feelings. We are encouraged to handle situations ourselves like men. Where I'm from, you'd quickly find yourself ostracized and scorned if you have a reputation of 'running upstairs to tell the boss' every time something goes down. Hell even the boss would scorn you. No one likes a "news carrier". Its considered a very feminine response.

Now this doesn't mean I won't report stuff. If its not of a personal nature, for example you'd obviously want to report a guy planting a bomb at your work place but if Joe from Accounts was rude to me, we're gonna handle that like men. No reports or paperwork or any of that. Reporting someone for personal reasons induces such a disgust reflex in me. Its hard for me to respect someone who is quick to report people who they have a personal grievance with. If a male makes a habit of this, I won't even acknowledge him as a man. He's a woman in my eyes.
    Last edited by Niya; Oct 7th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Isn't that kinda like complaining about someone sending you free stuff every Christmas ? If you don't want them, hell I'd take them. I'm not one to refuse free stuff
    Maybe but it gets annoying when I go to the settings page and see row after row of positive rep given by the same person without any comment nor break between.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I find it hard to rep without posting a comment. But then, in this world, there are a lot of people who give reps with the primary purpose of hoping to get them back. That kind of giving goes against my personality....

Shaggy - I'll change a person's handle to a real name if there is a good reason. We won't change a handle from one 'fun tag' to another. (saying this more to anyone else reading this thread and seeing we changed an ID.

You mean someone a long time ago actually named their child Siddharth

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    I find it hard to rep without posting a comment.
    I do it if I can't write a reason that's succinct enough. Sometimes there's multiple reasons why someone's post may be a good one and describing why I like it might itself be a paragraph long.

[EDIT]

Oh yes and other times I don't leave a comment when I feel its fairly obvious why the post was repped.
    Last edited by Niya; Oct 8th, 2013 at 03:06 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Maybe but it gets annoying when I go to the settings page and see row after row of positive rep given by the same person without any comment nor break between.
    Sometimes I see posts so good I think it deserves multiple reps

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I guess its the culture I'm from, which frowns upon people that like to run to authority figures when someone hurts their delicate feelings. We are encouraged to handle situations ourselves like men. Where I'm from, you'd quickly find yourself ostracized and scorned if you have a reputation of 'running upstairs to tell the boss' every time something goes down. Hell even the boss would scorn you. No one likes a "news carrier". Its considered a very feminine response.

Now this doesn't mean I won't report stuff. If its not of a personal nature, for example you'd obviously want to report a guy planting a bomb at your work place but if Joe from Accounts was rude to me, we're gonna handle that like men. No reports or paperwork or any of that. Reporting someone for personal reasons induces such a disgust reflex in me. Its hard for me to respect someone who is quick to report people who they have a personal grievance with. If a male makes a habit of this, I won't even acknowledge him as a man. He's a woman in my eyes.
    I know some people from a culture like that. They just got evicted from a unit in the building next door to us after almost 3 years of our rarely getting a decent nights sleep on a weekend. I've been abused and threatened for my troubles over the course of that time and told to "call the cops" in a sneering tone on more than one occasion that suggests that they share your point of view. They're gone now and I'm quite happy for them to think that I'm weak or "feminine". That kind of thinking only works if there's decency on the other side to begin with and it's exactly what bullies everywhere rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I know some people from a culture like that. They just got evicted from a unit in the building next door to us after almost 3 years of our rarely getting a decent nights sleep on a weekend. I've been abused and threatened for my troubles over the course of that time and told to "call the cops" in a sneering tone on more than one occasion that suggests that they share your point of view. They're gone now and I'm quite happy for them to think that I'm weak or "feminine". That kind of thinking only works if there's decency on the other side to begin with and it's exactly what bullies everywhere rely on.
    There are extreme circumstances where involving authority is the prudent thing to do regardless of culture. I was thinking more of work place politics and online spaces when I made that post. There are just too many nancy boys that like to run to the boss/mods for every perceived slight under the sun. I've had many personal conflicts with others within a work environment and not a single one did I ever resolve by 'telling the boss'. I prefer to let people know my mind rather than hide behind authority when in a conflict.

This of course excludes violent or life-threatening conflicts though at times I will show a willingness to handle those myself as well. Perhaps it may not be ideal from your point of view but this is the type of culture I was raised in. Its very deeply embedded in my soul. I don't think I can change now. I don't think I want to either.

Re: [RESOLVED] How often is NEGATIVE feedback (rep) used?

"Danger Will Robinson"

I'm going to issue an Admin caution/warning -

There are a few comments that are hitting the edge of the Acceptable Usage Policy. Please be careful implying that a group of people is weak or inferior as well as please avoid phrases that imply an insult or weakness of a group. Specific to this thread, I'm referring to the implications that women are weak as well as phrases like "Nancy boy". I know there are some cultures in the world that have opinions on this; however, those opinions are best left to other forums and not this one.

Thanks.

<and please do not further a discussion about this on this thread - This thread is about negative reps. >
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

I should add.... Feel free to start a 'work place politics' thread separate from this one. It can go in General Dev or chit chat.
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Who's that? There ain't no Koolsid here
    Wait... what happened there? Damn these super mods are slippery. And I said row, not row. Hope that clears things up.

I'll change a person's handle to a real name if there is a good reason
    Have I ever mentioned that my name's Sarsipius P Widlebeast the Third?

I guess I don't really object to Negative reps existing on the forum but I honestly can't see a circumstance where I'd ever use one myself. I figure everyone's allowed to get stuff wrong from time to time. It's how we learn. But we learn better from a friendly hand than we do from a slap in the face. And I'm definitely happy leaving the discipline side of things to the mods. That doesn't mean I feel a need to report bad behaviour to the mods because they usually seem to be on top of it already. I think the only exception to that would be that I've reported spam a few times but I think that's kind of a different category.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I guess I don't really object to Negative reps existing on the forum but I honestly can't see a circumstance where I'd ever use one myself. I figure everyone's allowed to get stuff wrong from time to time. It's how we learn. But we learn better from a friendly hand than we do from a slap in the face. And I'm definitely happy leaving the discipline side of things to the mods. That doesn't mean I feel a need to report bad behaviour to the mods because they usually seem to be on top of it already. I think the only exception to that would be that I've reported spam a few times but I think that's kind of a different category.
    Looking at the negative reps I've given (3 total), two were for rude posts, and one was from someone blatantly asking for hacking help. I don't think anyone would neg rep someone because they posted incorrect code, that doesn't help anyone. I would much rather start a discussion on why their code is wrong and try to help correct it.

Here is an example of a post I would neg rep: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...me#post2539819

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    ...I don't think anyone would neg rep someone because they posted incorrect code...
    That would be in poor taste. Even the most experience of us can post bad code. That is what is good about places of discussion like this, someone can always chime in and say 'fix this' or 'that last line should be like this'. Neg reps should be used according to the tone of the post, not its content....well except when the content is deliberately harmful or misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Here is an example of a post I would neg rep: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...me#post2539819
    LOL....That post made me laugh .....Though its exactly the type of post that should be neg repped, I'd find it hard to neg rep a post that entertains me to some degree

"Danger Will Robinson"

I'm going to issue an Admin caution/warning -

There are a few comments that are hitting the edge of the Acceptable Usage Policy. Please be careful implying that a group of people is weak or inferior as well as please avoid phrases that imply an insult or weakness of a group. Specific to this thread, I'm referring to the implications that women are weak as well as phrases like "Nancy boy". I know there are some cultures in the world that have opinions on this; however, those opinions are best left to other forums and not this one.

Thanks.

<and please do not further a discussion about this on this thread - This thread is about negative reps. >
    I apologize if I posts about that topic were out of line but I feel very strongly about this. I just hate hate hate hate the type of people I was describing, these "tell tales". I have encountered these type of people on more than one occasion so I'm talking from experience. My passion got the better of me. I'll try not to let it happen again.

(and because you commented - to clarify - it was the comments towards women that was the issue.)

to repeat:

Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

@Niya: We all are from different cultures but remember we have a VBF culture of it's own I post in three different forums and each time I am on a particular forum, I mold myself as per their "Culture"

If someone is rude to you (And I mean in VBF and not anywhere else), assess what is the level of that "rudeness".

If it is of lower/medium level, can you and the other person sort it like matured people without involving the mods? If yes, then by all means go ahead. But please do not do that in the thread. It derails the thread. PM is one good way to solve such issues. Do you want to give a negative rep in such a scenario? Well, that is totally your call.

If it is on a higher level (Insults/Abuses), request the user politely not to do it and after that please do not try to resolve it. Downvote the post (yes you read it correctly) and simply report it. There is a reason why that option is there. If you see a retaliation of a downvote... again... please report it. As simple as that. And this is not called "running to authority figures when someone hurts their delicate feelings" This is very much required to maintain the Forum Decorum.

Edit: By Downvote, I meant "Give Negative Rep"
    Last edited by Siddharth Rout; Oct 9th, 2013 at 12:33 PM.

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X

To get back to the negative rep. I've given it once when I first was able to. A guy new to the forums put up three threads about hacking something and all three were shut down and he was given a final warning(I think he may've been banned too). But all three times it was me that reported him, on the last one I gave a negative rep.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast