Thread: What does (ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) mean?

Addicted Member

What does (ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) mean?

Hi All
    I just don't get what the () after the sub name does...kind of stupid
    question, but it would be nice to understand it. What is each parameter?
    Thanks.

Re: What does (ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) mean?

Its the signature of the event. The sender is the object that the event is being raised upon. So if you have a event with several handles objects you can determine which object was invoked.

Take a signature like this.
    Code:
    Public Class Form1

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click, Button2.Click, Button3.Click
    		Dim oButton As Button = DirectCast(sender, Button)
    		MessageBox.Show(oButton.Text & " was clicked")
    	End Sub

End Class
    Now the e parameter is additional info about the event being raised.

Take this event for example:
    You can easily determine what the reason is that the form is being closed.
    Code:
    Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_FormClosing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.FormClosingEventArgs) Handles Me.FormClosing
    		Select Case e.CloseReason
    			Case CloseReason.ApplicationExitCall
    				'
    			Case CloseReason.FormOwnerClosing
    				'
    			Case CloseReason.MdiFormClosing
    				'
    			Case CloseReason.None
    				'
    			Case CloseReason.TaskManagerClosing
    				'
    			Case CloseReason.UserClosing
    				'
    			Case CloseReason.WindowsShutDown
    				'
    		End Select
    	End Sub

End Class
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Re: What does (ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) mean?

A few further points:

1) It is quite likely that you would use neither of these. They are there for convenience, so that the sub has that information if needed, but you certainly don't HAVE to do anything with them.

2) EventArgs is kind of a catch all class. Many subs derive from this base, but since a derived class can be cast to its base, this would allow you to pass a more specific set of args which have been derived from EventArgs, then in the sub you can cast it back to the correct type. Of course, you'd have to know what the correct type is, but if you designed the thing, then you'd know that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

There is soo much to this topic though that we can not cover all bases.

For example you could also derive your own EventArgs class to pass custom arguments to your event.

The posibilities are fun to explore.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Here's an example of how you might create a class that raised a couple of events that demonstrates how that signature is used:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Public Class Thing
    3.     Private _data As String
    5.     Public Property Data() As String
    6.         Get
    7.             Return Me._data
    8.         End Get
    9.         Set(ByVal value As String)
    10.             If Me._data <> value Then
    11.                 Dim e As New CancelEventArgs
    13.                 'The value of the property is changing so raise the DataChanging event.
    14.                 Me.OnDataChanging(e)
    16.                 If Not e.Cancel Then
    17.                     'The property change has not been cancelled so change the property value.
    18.                     Me._data = value
    20.                     'The property value has changed so raise the DataChanged event.
    21.                     Me.OnDataChanged(EventArgs.Empty)
    22.                 End If
    23.             End If
    24.         End Set
    25.     End Property
    27.     Public Event OnDataChanging As EventHandler(Of CancelEventArgs)
    28.     Public Event OnDataChanged As EventHandler
    30.     Protected Overridable Sub OnDataChanging(ByVal e As CancelEventArgs)
    31.         RaiseEvent DataChanging(Me, e)
    32.     End Sub
    34.     Protected Overridable Sub OnDataChanged(ByVal e As EventArgs)
    35.         RaiseEvent DataChanged(Me, e)
    36.     End Sub
    38. End Class
    See how in both cases the events are raised with two parameters. The first is 'Me', so it is the object raising the event. That is what gets received via the 'sender' parameter in a handler for that event. The second is an EventArgs object or an object of a type derived from EventArgs, e.g. CancelEventArgs. That is what gets received via the 'e' parameter.

If you need to provide data to, or get data from, the handlers for an event then you use a type derived from EventArgs. In this case the event can be cancelled, so a CancelEventArgs is used. In the event handler the e.Cancel property can be set to True to cancel the event.

Notice in the setter for the Data property, when the property value is changing a CancelEventArgs object is created and passed to the OnDataChanging method. That method then raises the DataChanging event. All handlers for that event then get a chance to set e.Cancel to True. In the Data property the value of e.Cancel is then tested. Only if it is False is the property value actually changed.

Once the property value is changed the DataChanged event is raised. Note that in that case EventArgs.Empty is passed to the OnDataChanged method. For events that don't actually require any data you always use EventArgs.Empty. An EventArgs object never contains any useful data.

Whenever you raise events in your own classes you should ALWAYS follow this pattern. You don't actually have to but you always should for consistency.

Fanatic Member

[QUOTE=RobDog888;3093598][color=navy]Its the signature of the event. The sender is the object that the event is being raised upon. So if you have a event with several handles objects you can determine which object was invoked.

Though i get this answer now, but as a matter of fact, I found your reply so helpful Rob.

but there is a thing which is passing over my head i.e.
    Its the signature of the event. The sender is the object that the event is being raised upon.
    Would you please show me that what does it mean?

[QUOTE=ADQUSIT;4402251]
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    [color=navy]Its the signature of the event. The sender is the object that the event is being raised upon. So if you have a event with several handles objects you can determine which object was invoked.

Though i get this answer now, but as a matter of fact, I found your reply so helpful Rob.

but there is a thing which is passing over my head i.e.

Would you please show me that what does it mean?
    Rob's example from post #2 shows exactly what it means and my example from post #5 shows exactly how it works.

Fanatic Member

I'm sorry to say, that i did not understand that exact meaning of his wordings. I tried to compare the code with his idea, but couldn't pick it. Please guide me that what is sender as System.Object meaning?

Sender is the object that raised the event. Therefore, if the event is a button click, then sender will be the button that was clicked. Of course, it couldn't be written as: Sender As Button, because that would ONLY work for buttons, which would mean that you could ONLY use buttons for that kind of an event. To allow people to have a single handler method handle a variety of events, sender has to be sufficiently generic that it could be any of the objects that might raise that event. For example, a Button is not the only thing that has a Click event you can use. I often use click events for panels, pictureboxes, and occasionally labels, but pretty nearly every control will raise a click event. If I want the same sub to handle click events from some buttons, some panels, and a picturebox, then sender can't be type button, as that would exclude the panels and the picturebox. Technically, sender could be type Control, as button, panel, and picturebox all derive from Control, but then sender would have to be a control, so that still limits the versatility. The only type sufficiently general is the common base of all types: Object. Therefore, sender is type Object. If you know what type it really is, such as button, then you cast it to button. If you know that it is a control, but you don't know which type (though you can ALWAYS find out what type, if you want to), then you could cast it to type Control.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

very well done shaggy.

Please explain the same way what is 'e' as system.eventArgs means?

ADQUIST, I glanced at a few of your past posts and so I know you know how to use e in this situation:

vb.net Code:
    1. Private Sub Form1_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles Me.KeyPress
    2. End Sub

in this case e gives you access to all the event arguments of the KeyPress Event... In the Intelliprompt it shows you Two choices under Common:

• e.Handled
    • e.KeyChar

However if you go over to all, you also see:

• Empty
    • Equals
    • GetHashCode
    • GetType
    • ReferenceEquals
    • ToString

Now if we look at:

vb.net Code:
    1. Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    2. End Sub

what is e used for? not much. lets look at the Intelliprompt again:

• Empty
    • Equals
    • GetHashCode
    • GetType
    • ReferenceEquals
    • ToString

Look familiar?

Forgive me if I'm using incorrect terminology here, but basically e as System.EventArgs is the general catch-all event argument handler. Where as in the Keypress event e is modified for the keypress event. As VB.Net evolves, more and more you will see common ancestry like this for the sake of code clarity and ease of understanding... think about it, any time you create an event, all you have to do is type "e." and a prompt will appear with all of your useful event arguments.

I hope that helps clarify for you.

If you're wrong, you'll learn. If I'm wrong, I'll learn. Try something new and go from there. That's how we improve.

CodeBank: VB.Net - Simple Proper Image Scaling in Correct Aspect Ratio - Star Rating Control
    Useful Links: HOW TO USE CODE TAGS