Thread: can't resize VB controls manually

can't resize VB controls manually

I was going to reply to an earlier thread about this subject, but I can't seem to locate the original thread.

It just started happening the other day that I am no longer able to manually resize any VB controls in my projects. I've had my new machine for a while now and had used the VB6 IDE with no problems.

Now, I can only resize controls using the SHIFT + ARROW method. And no, the 'lock controls' option isn't set on the form.

Anyone have any other ideas ? Thanks...
    VB6 Enterprise SP4

Re: can't resize VB controls manually

Here's that thread you were talking about. No solution posted in that thread.

Edited. Out of curiosity. Double check the read/write permission properties of all your files related to your project. Are any of them read-only?
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Nov 3rd, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

No, the files aren't marked as 'read only'.... It was mentioned in the thread that a reinstall didn't solve the problem, but I might go ahead and try that option anyway.
    VB6 Enterprise SP4

Quote Originally Posted by tcurrier View Post
    No, the files aren't marked as 'read only'.... It was mentioned in the thread that a reinstall didn't solve the problem, but I might go ahead and try that option anyway.
    I would if I were in your shoes. Ensure you elevate permissions if installing on Vista/Win7, definitely run as administrator or turn UAC off. You might want to give a quick forum search regarding VB6 installation and Vista or Win7.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

I don't know if this applies to you but sometimes strange things occur in the VB IDE when its menus have been customized.

If you have done any menu customizations try resetting them
    View menu -> Toolbars -> Customize...
    Toolbar tab -> Reset button

Merri or Marty, you removed your reply. Didn't catch who exactly it was -- ghoster!

I think it was a great troubleshooting idea: Lock the controls, then unlock the controls to see if it is resolved (i.e, toggle the lock function). Maybe save changes between the toggling. But if this problem applies to all new projects too, then I doubt it will solve anything.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Nov 6th, 2010 at 12:19 PM.

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Merri, you removed your reply. I think it was a great troubleshooting idea: Lock the controls, then unlock the controls to see if it is resolved (i.e, toggle the lock function). Maybe save changes between the toggling.
    You meant me I assume and I'm only Merri some of the time Anyhow I suggested that it might be the Lock Controls Toggle but then I reread the original post and saw that the poster said that that wasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinLiss View Post
    You meant me I assume and I'm only Merri some of the time Anyhow I suggested that it might be the Lock Controls Toggle but then I reread the original post and saw that the poster said that that wasn't it.
    Hence toggling from on to off is a good idea; whether it works or not is another question. The referenced thread in reply #2 didn't attempt that idea. And yes I mean't you. All you 2-syllable guys whose handles start with 'M' look the same to me

Toggling 'lock controls' didn't work, and even a reinstall of VB6 didn't work....

Out of ideas .... Guess I'll convert all my VB programs to Java ... LOL
    VB6 Enterprise SP4

Not very likely but...

Can you edit the form?
    If you add a new control to the form, is it locked too?
    Is the project folder read-only?

Can you edit the form?

Yes

If you add a new control to the form, is it locked too?

Yes

Is the project folder read-only?

No

When I grab the resize handle and drag it, a dotted line appears. When the
    mouse is released, the dotted line disappears, and no resizing is done.
    VB6 Enterprise SP4

Just a form with a command button on it, which I can't resize ....

I renamed the .VBP file to .TXT, since the upload dialog wouldn't allow me to upload a .VBP file...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    VB6 Enterprise SP4

Here's the .FRM file... renamed from RESIZE_CONTROLS.FRM to RESIZE_CONTROLS_FORM.TXT
    Attached Files Attached Files
    VB6 Enterprise SP4

Also, my OS is Windows XP ...
    VB6 Enterprise SP4

Unfortuneatly it works normally for me so I have no idea what's going on at your end.

A couple of FYIs though:
    • Normally people create zip or rar files and attach them, and
    • You can have multiple attahments on a single post.

Thanks.... Forgot about the .ZIP file option... The multiple post was due to the fact that I forgot to include the .FRM file in the first post
    VB6 Enterprise SP4

Addicted Member

I got the same problem with the "lock" controls ... if any solution is present please.....inform us...

PowerPoster

I think that this http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=628299 thread may give you pointers although the OP still hasn't (as far as I know) resolved the problem.

Addicted Member

I'm using the shift + arrow method but this isn't a solution for sure...
    It's a really annoying problem ...

Several of us at the company I work at have the same issue. The common "Thread" with these systems is that we have both Visual Basic 6 (SP6) loaded along with Visual Studio 2010. The problems started occuring right after loading Visual Stuido 2010. I have not tracked down the problem yet, but this might help eveyone on this post find a quick solution. I am betting it is something in the Windows Registry, but I am not 100% sure yet. Please let me know if anyone finds out what the issue is between Visual Stuido 2010 & Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0(SP6). Also, all of our systems are Windows XP SP3 with all updates applied.

One other thought.... We also have Visual Studio 2008 loaded so we can convert the code from VB6 to the .NET Framework. Unfortunately, Microsoft dropped the conversion from VB6 in later versions of Microsoft Visual Studio and you must load 2008 to convert VB6 -> Visual Studio 2010. The problems did not start until Visual Studio 2010 was loaded....

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post4369085

Quote Originally Posted by gowen View Post
    I verified that it is, indeed, Verdasys Digital Guardian causing the issue. I uninstalled the application and the sizing returned to the way it should. Going forward this will not be an issue because I can just uninstall it on any machines I'm coding VB Studio 6 (C,VB,ect it's all IDE). This issue is now resolved.

Thanks

PS: Installing breaks, uninstalling fixes. It seems that tcurrier also confirmed that he has Digital Guardian Agent (Verdasys) installed and continues to have the issue. My suggestion would be to get the uninstall key or force uninstall it without and continue to code up using VB6.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

You do realize that this thread is 2.5 years old, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Joacim Andersson View Post
    You do realize that this thread is 2.5 years old, right?
    Yes, this was referenced in the link posted. This is what I came across when doing a search and decided, like a good citizen, I'd post up the resolution for future patrons who may stumble on the same problem.

Although this thread is 7 years old, I, too, had the very same problem this morning (11 August 2017) with resizing the form at design time (VB6 SP6), and these comments may help someone who is also searching for a fix, since I believe there are still a great many VB6 enthusiasts out there.

What I did to fix it was add a new form to the same project, then copy all the controls AND the code from the "busted" form to the new form. Then I saved the whole lot in a temporary folder. Then I reloaded the .vbp from the temporary folder and removed the "busted" form. The only other thing I needed to do was set the Startup form and rename the new form from frmTemp to frmMain. Bingo! The problem has gone and I can resize the form again.

Note that when I first saw this problem I noticed that the min/max icon in the caption bar was set to max, even though the form's Windowstate property was 0 (vbNormal). Also, I could right click on the caption bar and the menu included Restore (not greyed out). By clicking on Restore the min/max icon changed to vbNormal and the form became resizable. Even after saving the project again, then reloading it, the problem was fixed.

I never experienced this problem before. The code example which I'm modifying came from a CD-ROM in the back of a computer book*. It's possible that the original code (on the CD) was saved in VB5 format. Otherwise I have no idea why this happens sometimes.

* "Visual Basic 5 Web Development by Scott Jarol (1997)

PowerPoster

The authors of those old examples loved locking their forms.

Open the Form. On the IDE Menu: Format->Lock Controls.

(possibly a different issue)

Nope. Wasn't that. I checked everything, but found no cause whatsoever. I found out how to fix it, but why it occurred remains a complete mystery.

Sinecure devotee

If I was curious, I sure would have save the original non-working files and then do file compares to see what the difference in the files were. Perhaps even move the files one by one back to see if the problem would reappear when a particular file was restored.

Well, I played around with several options for the MinButton, MaxButton, WindowState, & BorderStyle proproperties (often using an ANSI editor to change them) and couldn't make it fail.

I also downloaded the files from posts #13 & #14, and that also worked fine (and that was suppose to illustrate the problem). So, unless someone can illustrate the problem, I'm going to assume this is a non-issue.

Best,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Elroy

I believe the issues and solution were described in post #29 of the link provided in post #23 of this thread.

Spoo

Re: If I was curious, I sure would have save the original non-working files and then do file compares to see what the difference in the files were. Perhaps even move the files one by one back to see if the problem would reappear when a particular file was restored.

This could still be achieved, because the original code is on the computer book's CD-ROM.
    Last edited by LittleTyke; Aug 12th, 2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Forgot something.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    Elroy

I believe the issues and solution were described in post #29 of the link provided in post #23 of this thread.

Spoo
    In that post #29 the author claimed it was something called Verdasys Digital Guardian that was causing it. But I have never heard (until now) of Verdasys Digital Guardian and never installed it. I've just checked my Add or Remove Programs list and the list does not contain Verdasys Digital Guardian or anything similar. Also, note that my problem only occurred with this one .frm from a very small demo project on a computer book's CD-ROM.

On my PC I have over 3,000 VB projects and I did a random check of several and none of them exhibited the problem. Also, the problem was only confined to the form, not the controls upon it. I could resize the controls, just not the form.