Thread: [RESOLVED] Working with an unbound DatagridView

Resolved [RESOLVED] Working with an unbound DatagridView

I'm rather new to using datagridviews so most likely what i'm doing is wrong but that's why I came here.

I have a program that has some user input and calculations done with the user data and that populates my datagridview no problem. After the user is done entering data I want them to click a button and the program writes all the data to a text file with commas between each cell(example: cell1,cell2,cell3...) so that text file can later be read into another datagridview for reporting the entered data.

The way I tried was to set up and output string similar to:

outputString = dgvOutput.Rows(rctr).Cells(0) &","& dgvOutput.Rows(rctr).Cells(1) &","& dgvOutput.Rows(rctr).Cells(2)

with rctr working as the row index. But when I try to use that code, I get an error telling me that:
    "Operator '&' is not defined for types 'System.Windows.Forms.dataGridViewCell' and 'String'.(BC30452)"

I was trying to do it this way so I would have to set up and use ten variables(Yes the datagrid in my program has ten cells).

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Addicted Member

Re: Working with an unbound DatagridView

OutputString = dgvOutput.Rows(rctr).Cells(0).ToString & "," & dgvOutput.Rows(rctr).Cells(1).ToString & "," & dgvOutput.Rows(rctr).Cells(2).ToString

Re: Working with an unbound DatagridView

Thank you, that worked. Should of known it was something simple like that!

Re: [RESOLVED] Working with an unbound DatagridView

A clearer way to write it would be like this:
    Code:
        OutputString = dgvOutput.Rows(rctr).Cells(0).Value.ToString & "," & ...
    A DataGridViewCell has a lot of different properties (including things like BackColor and more), so specifying which one you actually want (in this case .Value) is a good idea.

As the .Value property can contain different types of data (such as Integers or Dates), it is also a good idea to specify .ToString when you want to use it as a String.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    A clearer way to write it would be like this:
    Code:
        OutputString = dgvOutput.Rows(rctr).Cells(0).Value.ToString & "," & ...
    A DataGridViewCell has a lot of different properties (including things like BackColor and more), so specifying which one you actually want (in this case .Value) is a good idea.

As the .Value property can contain different types of data (such as Integers or Dates), it is also a good idea to specify .ToString when you want to use it as a String.
    One thing to consider there, particularly given that this is an unbound grid, is that that will throw a NullReferenceException if the cell is empty. Personally, I never use more than two concatenation operators in a single expression so I'd be using String.Format or String.Join or String.Concat anyway in this case, but that will also prevent such exceptions in this case. Given that this case calls for a list of values with commas between them, it seems a perfect candidate for String.Join, e.g.
    vb.net Code:
    1. outputString = String.Join(",",
    2.                            dgvOutput.Rows(rctr).
    3.                                      Cells.
    4.                                      Cast(Of DataGridViewCell)().
    5.                                      Select(Function(dgvc) dgvc.Value))

[QUOTE=jmcilhinney;5264161]One thing to consider there, particularly given that this is an unbound grid, is that that will throw a NullReferenceException if the cell is empty. Personally, I never use more than two concatenation operators in a single expression so I'd be using String.Format or String.Join or String.Concat anyway in this case, but that will also prevent such exceptions in this case. Given that this case calls for a list of values with commas between them, it seems a perfect candidate for String.Join, e.g.
    QUOTE]

I know I marked the issue as resolved since I did get the data to my liking, I looked at your code and had decided to give it a try but I cannot seem to get it working as you have it in your post. Aside from missing a couple closing )'s, I get the error of

'Cast' is not a member of 'System.windows.forms.datagridviewcellcollection'.

As I said the issue has been resolved and there really is no need for a reply to this, as much as I would like you too seeing's how you seem to have a wealth of knowledge on such things.

Is there a reason you do not want to bind the dgv to a datatable?

Another way to get your code cleaned up maybe something like this
    Code:
            Dim outputString As String = String.Empty
            Dim DGV As New DataGridView
            For Each DGVRow As DataGridViewRow In DGV.Rows
                For Each DGVCol As DataGridViewColumn In DGV.Columns
                    outputString &= DGVRow.Cells(DGVCol.Name).Value.ToString & ","
                Next
            Next
            outputString = outputString.Substring(0, outputString.Length - 1)

Quote Originally Posted by dschaldach View Post
    I know I marked the issue as resolved since I did get the data to my liking, I looked at your code and had decided to give it a try but I cannot seem to get it working as you have it in your post. Aside from missing a couple closing )'s, I get the error of

'Cast' is not a member of 'System.windows.forms.datagridviewcellcollection'.

As I said the issue has been resolved and there really is no need for a reply to this, as much as I would like you too seeing's how you seem to have a wealth of knowledge on such things.
    Cast is a LINQ extension method, so you need to have the appropriate assembly reference and namespace import. Most recent projects should already have them by default. Here's the documentation for that Cast method:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...or=-2147217396

As it says at the top, it's declared in the System.Core.dll assembly and its type is a member of the System.Linq namespace, so you need to reference and import those respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmc View Post
    Is there a reason you do not want to bind the dgv to a datatable?
    Mostly because I've never done so. I've been out of the coding game for some time now and I am fairly rusty and behind on how to do somethings.

Quote Originally Posted by dschaldach View Post
    Mostly because I've never done so. I've been out of the coding game for some time now and I am fairly rusty and behind on how to do somethings.
    You make life harder for yourself by not binding. I would always recommend data-binding as a first option and only choose not to if there's a specific reason, i.e. data-binding cannot do - or do easily enough - something you need. For most people, it's a case of calling Fill on a data adapter to populate a DataTable, bind that to a DataGridView (either directly or via a BindingSource) by assigning it to the grid's DataSource property, having the user edit via the UI, then calling Update on the same data adapter. There's often no code required to touch the data directly.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    .... For most people, it's a case of calling Fill on a data adapter to populate a DataTable, bind that to a DataGridView (either directly or via a BindingSource) ....
    Hi jmc, can you explain directly ?

Directly:
    vb.net Code:
    1. myDataGridView.DataSource = myDataTable
    Via a BindingSource:
    vb.net Code:
    1. myBindingSource.DataSource = myDataTable
    2. myDataGridView.DataSource = myBindingSource
    A BindingSource brings together various functionality related to bound data from various places into one.