Thread: unterminated[] while parsing string

Addicted Member

unterminated[] while parsing string

Code:
    HOVResponse = Replace(HOVResponse, "[", string.empty)
    i am sure this is a simple problem to solve but it has me stumped, i understand [ is a special regex character but how do i get around this and replace [ from a string as it is throwing the exception in the title

PowerPoster

Re: unterminated[] while parsing string

Apologies if I'm missing something more complex about your needs. I don't have access to VB.Net at the moment to test this, but I would think something like the following would work, presuming that you want to simply strip out all "[" characters from a string:

Code:
    HOVResponse = HOVResponse.Replace("[", "")

"" and String.Empty are really the same thing, so either should work. But I would use the HOVResponse.Replace. Not sure why Replace would give you an error like that, RegEx doesn't have anything to do with it as far as I know. Unless it's doing something with it on the backend, or if it's a custom Replace function. To answer your question directly though, if you are using RegEx to do a replace, and want to use a RegEx character, you need to escape it ... I think with the \

Code:
    HOVResponse = Replace(HOVResponse, "\[", string.empty)
    But that doesn't feel right either.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

it worked fine as soon as i added "\" before the special regex char

You don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    "" and String.Empty are really the same thing, so either should work. But I would use the HOVResponse.Replace. Not sure why Replace would give you an error like that, RegEx doesn't have anything to do with it as far as I know. Unless it's doing something with it on the backend, or if it's a custom Replace function. To answer your question directly though, if you are using RegEx to do a replace, and want to use a RegEx character, you need to escape it ... I think with the \

Code:
    HOVResponse = Replace(HOVResponse, "\[", string.empty)
    But that doesn't feel right either.

-tg
    As far as I can tell, if we're in a VBA context, Replace() is a built-in function and may use regex by default? I don't think OP understood your point that in general, VB .NET developers don't use and have no clue what a built-in function does.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.