Thread: Can't debug ActiveX project after switch to Win 7

Can't debug ActiveX project after switch to Win 7

Thanks to this author I am running VB 6.0 on Windows 7 after my XP laptop's SSD failed. I can run ActiveX projects in VB 6.0 and call them from Microsoft Access VBA. http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showco...sp?artid=20502

However with one large project I can successfully call the compiled dll but when I run the project in VB, and reference it instead, I get a 429 error "ActiveX component can't create object" when I [Set obj = New ...]. The VB 6.0 project is set to Binary Compatibility with an earlier version of itself. If I change this to No Compatibility, Run it, and re-reference in Access, then I can call its methods without any problems.

This project is released as the Server part of a Client/Server pair. If I load them as a project group and reference the Client dll instead then I can call into the Client and the VB 6.0 debugger will flow from there into the Server! The Server implements many interfaces unknown to the Client though so that's not a satisfactory debugging strategy.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the dll, tried running with and without UAC and running VB 6.0 and Access as Administrator, all to no effect. Releasing a new version of this (mission critical) project just so that I can run it in debug will require a major distribution effort that I'd prefer to solve if possible. I'm out of ideas. There is a little more detail at the bottom of the comments section on the above link.

Complus reports this error in the Windows Application log when running in VB but the component runs fine as a dll:
    The system has called a custom component and that component has failed and generated an exception. This indicates a problem with the custom component. Notify the developer of this component that a failure has occurred and provide them with the information below.
    Server Application ID: {57190151-39FE-49CB-B767-FFC3A3FAD7F2}
    Server Application Instance ID:
    {080B704D-0E9D-4F5A-91DF-B05AF6877E71}
    Server Application Name: ABSvr30
    The serious nature of this error has caused the process to terminate.
    Exception: C00000FD
    Address: 0x6A94682C

Has anyone faced this issue before?

Re: Can't debug ActiveX project after switch to Win 7

Not too encouraging to see that all of the threads in this forum have zero replies.

Could anyone recommend another board for this kind of question?

Re: Can't debug ActiveX project after switch to Win 7

Quote Originally Posted by pjackman View Post
    Could anyone recommend another board for this kind of question?
    Try the Visual Basic 6 and Earlier forum.
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)