Thread: [RESOLVED] Behind Desktop icons....

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Behind Desktop icons....

OK i need to make a GUI that Runs Behind Desktop icons but on desktop background in vb 6.0 pro can any 1 help me with code?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: Behind Desktop icons....

"Behind desktop icons"

What do you mean by that?

Are you talking about a shell? Maybe replacing the explorer shell?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein, born on March 14th 1879.
    Can't find it here on VBForums? Go to the CodeProject. MSDN is your friend . I have such a bad website, my friend decided it would be funny to change the template and he moderates the site for me: visit my site!

"Thinking of you, wherever you are
    We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend.
    Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
    And who knows, starting a new journey may not be so hard…
    Or maybe it has already begun.
    There are many worlds, but they share the same sky
    one sky, one destiny..."

Addicted Member

Like it goes behind the icons Not like every other Application it goes on top for example when you run internet exploler it runs over the icons you need to minimize it to see your icons i want to run my program "on" the background not in.....so its still visible and desktop iocns are Over it.....Pretty hard to explain.....sorry

No not at all (about the explanation), but I've never seen an application like that in action....You're pretty much talking about the desktop icons being shown over the application interface and having the application run in the background above the User's Wallpaper but still behind the Desktop Icons......I personally do not know if that's possible....
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein, born on March 14th 1879.
    Can't find it here on VBForums? Go to the CodeProject. MSDN is your friend . I have such a bad website, my friend decided it would be funny to change the template and he moderates the site for me: visit my site!

"Thinking of you, wherever you are
    We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend.
    Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
    And who knows, starting a new journey may not be so hard…
    Or maybe it has already begun.
    There are many worlds, but they share the same sky
    one sky, one destiny..."

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omfgz
    Like it goes behind the icons Not like every other Application it goes on top for example when you run internet exploler it runs over the icons you need to minimize it to see your icons i want to run my program "on" the background not in.....so its still visible and desktop iocns are Over it.....Pretty hard to explain.....sorry
    What is this for?

I've seen it. BSPlayer for example; by selecting view on desktop or something like that (i think by pressing "D") instead of F for full-screen.. It actually replaces the wallpaper.

Addicted Member

Unhappy Re: Behind Desktop icons....

Quote Originally Posted by gavio
    I've seen it. BSPlayer for example; by selecting view on desktop or something like that (i think by pressing "D") instead of F for full-screen.. It actually replaces the wallpaper.
    Yeah !!!!! fianlly some 1 understands!!!! replacing wall paper with my program thats what i want! thx!

Yes, i understand, but i've never seen it done in VB or any other language My guess would be that it has got to do something with the "Active Desktop"... that is displaying html.

Do you mean like the app in my signature ? "XP Video Wallpaper..." You'll have to write your app in such a way (ocx or dll) so that you can embed it into a HTML file, then use the HTML file as your wallpaper.

Addicted Member

Unhappy Re: Behind Desktop icons....

Ok wait i will try that if it works then ty!

Edit : Yup thats the one i am talking about! so how do i do it?

How do you write your app or mine ? You'll probably have to learn how to write a custom control ( .ctl ), then compile it as an ocx. You've not said what your prog will do yet...

(As it happens, "XP Video Wallpaper..." uses mostly existing MS controls, apart from some I made to reduce the overall program size)

Addicted Member

how do i do my app >.< i just need code how to make my program run on background >.<

here was an attempt without using web stuff - couldn't get it to work and got fed up.

Addicted Member

That did not work =0 it just refersh my app and then stays there whenever y i click program button=0

if you're talking to me then i know it doesn't work, i said so in the post and numerous times in the linked thread - it's everything but the final (crucial) step.

Addicted Member

oooo ok but i still need help

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by gavio
    I was just thinking, as well, about BSPlayer, and also that anything is possible, it's just all about finding out how to do it.
    Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express

If I help, boost my rep. Remember, I would do the same for you.

Addicted Member

yeah but how?????? ?_?

Lively Member

yeah but how?????? ?_?
    Well, being as inexperienced as I am, I can only spout a broad idea that may get you nowhere. But, Windows was programmed to have the icons on top of the wallpaper, well, if you can find out how it refers to desktop icons, then you can change the code in your program to set it behind desktop icons. Sorry I can't be any more helpful than that. I tried.

This may take a while, as I'll have to create a HTML file from my app. It's not geared up to do this normally. I thought I had a prototype handy - but I've played around with it too much. I can post a working example sometime tomorrow morning (UK based - my son's disabled - and I have to take him to hospital).

If you want to try this yourself and have frontpage you do:-
    Insert, Component, Web Component, Advanced Controls, ActiveX Control, Customize - then select, say, Windows media player (wmp.dll).

Once it's on your HTML page, you can double-click it to bring up its properties - pick a file to play etc. Make sure Auto-start is enabled.

Active desktop has to be enabled (Pre-XP ?) for it to work.

After all this, set it as your wallpaper.

BTW, this is just the basics. After this you risk insanity. Took me 2 YEARS to figure it out - on and off. (ok - mostly off ) Turned off the version counter when I got too depressed.

@ bushmobile, I went down a similar route and actually made it work. The trouble with that method if you want something like WMP there is the CPU load goes to 100%, even with a 2400+ processor. A mythical 64 bit 10 GHz system MIGHT work, but from what I found, I doubt it. Believe me, you wouldn't have been happy with it. It turns a decent PC to crap. (The HTML method uses barely more CPU than WMP playing on its own)

More tomorrow, if anyone's still interested...

Well... after generating some more code, there's not much I can add to what I put above, except that you have to modify the HTML if you want to fill the screen. I can't add any more unless I see an app that can be placed in a HTML form.

There is another thread How to make a form stick to the desktop? with a similar query. In that case, it's the same method, except that the HTML page's background has to be set to the desired wallpaper. Again, I can't add any more unless I see an app that can be placed in a HTML form.

Addicted Member

I am not very good with Code,still confused >.<

PowerPoster

I am not very good with Code,still confused >.<
    Look... it's very very simple !!!

I did not have to look at any examples and I figured out how to do it, and I've never done something like this before.

Here's how it's done
    Make a new project, but instead of choosing "Standard EXE", choose "ActiveX Control", put on that control what you would have on the form, buttons pictures, etc...
    Save the project

Now open "Package & Deployment Wizard", select the project you just made
    Click on "Package"
    Click "Next"
    On the "Package Type", choose "Internet Package"
    Click "Next", "Next", etc... until you are done
    Then click "Finish"

Now if you look at the package, you will see 2 files, 1 CAB and one HTM, edit the HTM with notepad, and add "width=100% height=100%", like this:
    Code:
    <OBJECT ID="ucWallpaper"
    CLASSID="CLSID:D1A44107-020C-4F61-8AB0-921E57A9E1EB"
    CODEBASE="OCXWallpaper.CAB#version=1,0,0,0" width=100% height=100%>
    </OBJECT>
    Now right click on the Desktop, choose "Properties", goto "Desktop" Tab, click "Customize Desktop", "Web", "New", choose the HTM file you juse edited, and set the HTM as the Desktop...

That's it !!!

I attached a project that I tested with, it should be pretty straight forward
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by schoolbusdriver
    @ bushmobile, I went down a similar route and actually made it work. The trouble with that method if you want something like WMP there is the CPU load goes to 100%, even with a 2400+ processor. A mythical 64 bit 10 GHz system MIGHT work, but from what I found, I doubt it. Believe me, you wouldn't have been happy with it. It turns a decent PC to crap. (The HTML method uses barely more CPU than WMP playing on its own)
    I'd be interested in seeing that c0d if you still had a copy

The final (crucial) step ? For legel reasons, I'll have to attach conditions - check your Private Messages. I've got it backed-up somewhere, but it may take me a little while to extricate the mandatory code from the "VideoStar" prototype. It's damn complicated and hard to make work without trashing your desktop. (My son's not too well ATM too. More trips to the hospital )

Hyperactive Member

last year i downloaded some mpeg player source from PSC that plays on your desktop. this may give you some clue on how to get it done..

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...62581&lngWId=1

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by CVMichael
    Look... it's very very simple !!!

I did not have to look at any examples and I figured out how to do it, and I've never done something like this before.

Here's how it's done
    Make a new project, but instead of choosing "Standard EXE", choose "ActiveX Control", put on that control what you would have on the form, buttons pictures, etc...
    Save the project

Now open "Package & Deployment Wizard", select the project you just made
    Click on "Package"
    Click "Next"
    On the "Package Type", choose "Internet Package"
    Click "Next", "Next", etc... until you are done
    Then click "Finish"

Now if you look at the package, you will see 2 files, 1 CAB and one HTM, edit the HTM with notepad, and add "width=100% height=100%", like this:
    Code:
    <OBJECT ID="ucWallpaper"
    CLASSID="CLSID:D1A44107-020C-4F61-8AB0-921E57A9E1EB"
    CODEBASE="OCXWallpaper.CAB#version=1,0,0,0" width=100% height=100%>
    </OBJECT>
    Now right click on the Desktop, choose "Properties", goto "Desktop" Tab, click "Customize Desktop", "Web", "New", choose the HTM file you juse edited, and set the HTM as the Desktop...

That's it !!!

I attached a project that I tested with, it should be pretty straight forward
    Vindictive much?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wrathofnero
    Vindictive much?
    Sorry... I kinda lose my patience when I see people who just don't get it...
    I overreacted

PowerPoster

OK i need to make a GUI that Runs Behind Desktop icons but on desktop background in vb 6.0 pro can any 1 help me with code?
    So, is the problem resolved ?

If it is, click on the Thread Tolls, and mark it as "Resolved"

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Conner
    last year i downloaded some mpeg player source from PSC that plays on your desktop. this may give you some clue on how to get it done..

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...62581&lngWId=1
    Thx alot this 1 worked

Re: [RESOLVED] Behind Desktop icons....

Hello am searching for a similar code.. could u mail me the full code.. vb script

Re: [RESOLVED] Behind Desktop icons....

Quote Originally Posted by omfgz View Post

Hello omfgz,

Am also trying a application to run behind the desktop icons. did u got the code? could u send me pls.
    Edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you