Thread: VB6 SP6 in Vista

VB6 SP6 in Vista

I recently installed VB6 Enterprise in my Vista system to use some old codes. However, when I tried to update VB6 with SP6, the SP6 setup didn't start, citing an error with setup file acmsetup.stl or something. Is it possible to install any VB6 SPs in Vista? Thanks.

Re: VB6 SP6 in Vista

Yes, I managed to install Visual Basic Pro 6.0 in Vista Ultimate!

Edit:

Run SETUP.exe (compatibility mode if possible)
    Enter serial number
    Click "ok"

When asked about ACMBOOT.EXE:
    Run Acmeboot.exe (compatibility mode if possible)
    Select Custom or Typical install
    Wait until setup finishes
    Restart Windows
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Jul 31st, 2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Yes, I managed to install Visual Basic Pro 6.0 in Vista Ultimate!
    But could you install any service packs?

Quote Originally Posted by tweakmaster View Post
    But could you install any service packs?
    Yes, when I installed vbrun60sp6 the service pack installed correctly.

Edit:

The files installed to the "Windows/System32" folder.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Jul 31st, 2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Yes, when I installed vbrun60sp6 the service pack installed correctly.
    Yes but the vbrun60sp6.exe is just the basic RunTime files which should be on Vista anyway.

The System Requirements doesn't show Vista maybe they are already installed.

You can install your own SP6 is you want to. Download Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0. Right-click on Vs6sp6B.exe and I presume you have WinZip installed, extract to Vs6sp6B folder. You will see all the files needed for the SP6 update. Inside the VS6sp6B1.cab, VS6sp6B2.cab and VS6sp6B3.cab files are the updated ocx files. The new Vb6.exe is in VS6sp6B3.cab. Just check the version number, size, date and time and you is SP6 is newer put these in your Windows\System32 folder and register them with Run: regsvr32 ocxname.ocx. Its a slow process doing it this way but if you want SP6 installed and it won't install from setupsp6.exe I don't see any option.

There are also other cab files that show the ocx name e..g. PicClp32.cab but the PicClp32.ocx and all the other ocx's in the cab files are older than the ones in the VS6sp6B1/2/3.cab so why do they put them in SP6?
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.

Addicted Member

I had no problem running it on vista buisness. I just put the cd in, right clicked on setup and ran the installer as admin. Downloaded the latest service pack from ms. vb6sp6b extracted to desktop and did the same, ran the setup as admin.

Did you right-click on the setup.exe and select Run as Administrator? You may also want to temporarily turn off the UAC so it will install faster and can run unattended.

I had no issues installing VS 6 with SP6 this way at all.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6