Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who knew?

Re: Who knew?

another case where a word has widely varying meanings across cultures... I believe the slang for a cigarette in the UK is f@g... so to light one up, or to suck on one (and yes, I've seen that phrase used in literature) ... means something TOTALLY different on the western side of the pond... and depending on the sate, one or both can land you in the joint, the rock, behind bars, institutionalized, the big house, the slammer, doing time, paying debit to society....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

And then there's the double meaning of sate.

It can mean to be satisfied or the jurisdiction
    in which you reside.

(Sorry .. couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    It's worth mentioning that "coon" has a very different (and racist) meaning in the UK. Using that word on this side of the pond is not cool.
    Oddly enough, it has both meanings over here, and which meaning is in use is generally contextual. I can't really think of another word that is racist in one context, while being commonly used with totally different meanings in a different context.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Cracker .... of which I've been called a number of times... and I don't think that they meant saltines... however... I do usually respond with "that's right, I sho am!" ...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Yeah, that's a weird one. Frankly, I don't know anybody who would object to being called a Cracker, and Redneck is another one that is pretty much a mixed blessing. After posting that last post, I realized that there is a word that is rapidly becoming the same dichotomous word as coon (innocuous meaning in one context, racist in another): Canadian.

The use of the word Canadian is really bizarre. While it means a person from Canada to most people in the US, it has become a racist codeword for people who want to make derogatory comments about some ethnic group without actually mentioning that ethnic group. I don't think it's all that mainstream, yet, though.

TG

Too bad your name ain't Jack.

...or Graham?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

True.. but if it was then you wouldn't be able to say you don't know Jack...

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Canadian.
    You would wonder what is meant by a "Roman" or better "These Romans are crazy". The original meaning is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix I will NOT state what we would translate that to!
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!

If I had a hay-penny for every time I've been told I don't know Jack ...
    Last edited by Spoo; Feb 13th, 2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: changed from ha'penny

Quote Originally Posted by opus View Post
    You would wonder what is meant by a "Roman" or better "These Romans are crazy". The original meaning is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix I will NOT state what we would translate that to!
    I actually recognized that phrase. I've read plenty of the Asterix comics in both English and French.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spoo View Post
    Level 3.

Then the experimenters removed the shorter stick from
    the table and instead, suspended it off of a branch at the
    end of a piece of string, and started the cameras rolling.

The crow came to the table, and saw the meat, but couldn't
    reach it. Then it went over to the container with the longer
    stick, it couldn't reach that either .. the short stick was not
    on the table. Then it started looking around, and saw the shorter
    stick dangling from the piece of string. After a moment or two,
    it flew up to the branch, started pulling up the string, removed the
    short stick from the string, and proceeded as in Level 2.
    Wow .. Level 3.

Pretty cool, no?
    I'd like to see the crow do this for level 4:

The experimenters repeat Level 3, only in a cage or behind a door, locked with an 8-digit password. The meat can be seen through a bullet-proof window.

Level 5: Same setup as level 4, only now booby traps are placed throughout the room. The bird must figure out how to get past the traps to the place where the meat is.
    Do not read this sentence.
    You read that last one, didn't you?
    Darn. You now read the previous two.

Check out my pins on Pinterest!

Wink Re: Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
    I'd like to see the crow do this for level 4:

The experimenters repeat Level 3, only in a cage or behind a door, locked with an 8-digit password. The meat can be seen through a bullet-proof window.

Level 5: Same setup as level 4, only now booby traps are placed throughout the room. The bird must figure out how to get past the traps to the place where the meat is.
    this can be done, step by step one lesson at a time.

@level 4

get the crow to understand the door and how it opens,
    get it to practice codes on pecking the right combinations.

@ level 5

get the crow to know about every kind of traps and how to activate/not activate it.

but on a random trap set it will be a low rate of success for the bird or non at all
    as of a human on a minefield without minesweeper gadgets or
    better play MS minesweeper without knowing the rules, you might end up like the bird.

and of course we, like the experiment bird, is not Indiana Jones.

i forgot the title but this ruling can be seen on some of History Channels series or so it is, like the pigeon guided missile or the cat torpedo(?).
    ~liz
    ('@ ' )~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12