Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: VB6 is DEAD!

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB6 is DEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The message that should have been sent is: Don't get into programming if you don't like change.

The hardware changes, the languages change, open source projects come and go as interest waxes and wanes, companies grow and fold, and all of this happens within the timespan of our careers. Coding isn't like ranching where people can say, "my daddy did it this way, and his daddy before him, and his daddy before him." In coding, the last decade is for old folks. I started in the 80s. There was no VB, of course, because there was no V to B. I then wandered off until the mid-90s, at which point there was a VB, there was ANSI C, no ANSI C++, GUI OS were just starting to appear (unless you were a mac fan), and Java was just a drink. I went through PDA's, too. I even had one, and wrote a few programs for them. That tech lasted only a few years before being replaced by smartphones.

I wrote a tablet app before Apple came out with the iPad. The app would have worked a whole lot better had there been any tablets at that time. Now, tablets are becoming ubiquitous. Dilettante feels that the MS OS is going to be replaced by Android, but that's nothing new. It was going to be replaced by Linux before that, and Apple even earlier (not to mention OS/2, since nobody probably thought THAT was going to replace anything). Still, he could just as easily be right as wrong. The only thing certain is that what is the standard today is not going to be around tomorrow.

So, don't abandon MS because VB6 was discontinued. Instead, abandon the entire career, because it's probably moving too fast for your comfort. I know the technology will change. I know that the language I know now will not last until my retirement. I just don't know where to move to, and when will not even be my decision.
    That's because things evolve that programming languages should evolve too, not killed w/o a true replacement, and please don't say again that VB.NET is a replacement or an evolution.

Thanks for the link.

Why not say it? It's true. The one gripe that seems valid to me is the objection that you can't simply open your VB6 app in .NET and have it work without changes. People would probably have been ok with that as long as there was a reasonably functional upgrade wizard, which there was not.

However, that's not the point. The transition from VB6 to .NET is trivial when you compare it to the major changes over the last few decades. Programs written in the 80s were largely using technology, and targeting hardware, that was purely legacy by 95. Platforms then shifted greatly, especially in PCs as we made all those changes in OS (memory models, processor modes, and the like). Another shift began around 2000 with PDA's, but they died and were replaced by smartphones. Now we may be seeing Android replace Windows (or not, we shall see). Such a change would really put the nail in the coffin for VB6, and might do the same for MS itself, which would also include .NET. It basically comes down to:

80s tech != 90s tech != mobile tech != future tech

Even the ANSI standard languages went through revisions during that time frame, and VB certainly isn't ANSI standard. Still, a program written in C/C++ isn't automatically future-proof simply because the language has an international standard, nor are they cross-platform. Things change in computers. Had Linux replaced Windows on 90% of desktops, we wouldn't even be having this discussion because VB6 would have been dead and abandoned once it didn't run on anybodies computer. Instead, one MS OS replaced another MS OS, so the apps written in VB6 still run. That will change, eventually. If the world moves to Android, then VB6 will go the way of COBOL. Eventually, that will happen, it's just a quirk of fate that it hasn't happened yet. The same is true of .NET, and to some extent, the same is true of C already, as it is much more a niche language than it used to be.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I'm still for bringing FORTRAN back.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

FORTRAN, COBOL, punch cards, and green screens.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

Shaggy, you are probably right in almost everything, but VB6->VB.NET and C++ future. Regarding VB, .NET doesn't produce native code, and regarding C++, I believe it's safe for the future. Even if MS drops it, most (if not all) C++ code can easily be moved to Linux. And that's probably what will happen if MS keeps treating costumer like they are doing lately.

Mobile is another story, specially for MS. Unless they provide something simple and efficient so developers can easily make programs for it (like VB), they will die before VB6.

And that's probably what will happen if MS keeps treating costumer like they are doing lately.
    Sounds like a broken record since Linux has made it's appearance. Sure some have moved to Linux because they think MS is treating them wrongly, but not nearly enough more MS to put forth any effort in gaining them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Rocha View Post
    That's because things evolve that programming languages should evolve too, not killed w/o a true replacement, and please don't say again that VB.NET is a replacement or an evolution.

Thanks for the link.
    VB6 is fundamentally broken. It made more sense to start from scratch. VB.Net fixed all that was wrong with VB6 and it added all the amenities of a modern language, all of which VB6 lacked. VB6 as great as it was really weak when you compare it to other languages. Even Javascript is more advanced than VB6. For a long time C++ had a few features I wished VB had, like method overloading which I was a big fan of, when I finally decided to ignore people like you who were crying about how much VB.Net sucked and tried it for myself, I was quite elated when I discovered it had all those cute language features that Javascript and C++ had. It was such a dream come true. I loved it and I never looked back.

VB6 is a primitive and broken language. It was state of the art once but no more. It was great once, but there is far better now. Even the IDE is better. Guys like you who continually debase MS for abandoning development of VB6 really have no clue what you're talking about. Truth is, you guys are too lazy to learn VB.Net and you hide your laziness behind cynicism and spite for MS. VB.Net is different and the Gods be damned that you should spend any effort trying to learn these differences which aren't that many by the way. VB6 still works, its runtime still works. You can still maintain your VB6 apps with VB6 so there is actually no reason to complain. MS didn't break it, they just chose not to continue developing it. And why should they when they came up with a much better alternative.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Sounds like a broken record since Linux has made it's appearance.
    True. I'm trying to make the move for more than 15 years, but I never saw it so close as I see now. The problem with Linux is that it's done by...Linux guys

I'm trying to make the move for more than 15 years, but I never saw it so close as I see now.
    Ahh, so you're the Ralph Kramden of Windows.

One of these days Microsoft! Pow, right in the C:/

I voted to bring it back.

VIVA VB6!!!

This thread is more alive than VB6.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

dclamp, I thought you were a super moberator.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    dclamp, I thought you were a super moberator.
    Taking a temporary Hiatus. I will be back shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    VB6 is fundamentally broken. It made more sense to start from scratch. VB.Net fixed all that was wrong with VB6 and it added all the amenities of a modern language, all of which VB6 lacked. VB6 as great as it was really weak when you compare it to other languages. Even Javascript is more advanced than VB6. For a long time C++ had a few features I wished VB had, like method overloading which I was a big fan of, when I finally decided to ignore people like you who were crying about how much VB.Net sucked and tried it for myself, I was quite elated when I discovered it had all those cute language features that Javascript and C++ had. It was such a dream come true. I loved it and I never looked back.

VB6 is a primitive and broken language. It was state of the art once but no more. It was great once, but there is far better now. Even the IDE is better. Guys like you who continually debase MS for abandoning development of VB6 really have no clue what you're talking about. Truth is, you guys are too lazy to learn VB.Net and you hide your laziness behind cynicism and spite for MS. VB.Net is different and the Gods be damned that you should spend any effort trying to learn these differences which aren't that many by the way. VB6 still works, its runtime still works. You can still maintain your VB6 apps with VB6 so there is actually no reason to complain. MS didn't break it, they just chose not to continue developing it. And why should they when they came up with a much better alternative.
    That's interesting bait you are using. A bit more pungent than what I currently have, but it's hard to say whether the aroma is really the point.

That's interesting bait you are using. A bit more pungent than what I currently have, but it's hard to say whether the aroma is really the point.
    Its called truth bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Its called truth bait.
    Are you going to reel it in or let it run for a bit, and tire itself out. I don't think you are in any danger of the reel catching fire.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    ...or let it run for a bit, and tire itself out.
    Like I have a choice in the matter.

PowerPoster

One can only wonder why there is so much fear among .Netters.

Some of this may be because .Net has been deprecated except as a scripting alternative for WinRT and ASP.Net for those too challenged to write in C++. Still this is hardly enough reason, since desktop .Net now has the same status as VB6: i.e. "It just works!"

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    .Net now has the same status as VB6: i.e. "It just works!"
    VB6 hasn't been updated in like a 15 years or something. The .Net Framework was updated as recently as last month. How can both these technologies have the same status ?

PowerPoster

True, the .Net Frameworks do indeed comprise a gigantic attack surface, and require frequent security patches. I'm not sure how this is relevant though.

The last VB6 runtime update was January 2008 or so. It's pretty solid now.

Dilettante, how do you translate any of my post as fear? I've said this repeatedly, I'm a hobbyist, if .Net goes like VB6 then I have no issues moving forward.

FORTRAN, COBOL, punch cards, and green screens.

-tg
    Foxpro and Clipper...
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

Dilettante: How do you interpret ANY post in this whole thread as fear? As far as I can tell, the whole thread is made up of VB6 coders angered over a perceived (and valid, to be sure) slight by MS, a bunch of other people egging them on, and a bunch of off-topic discussions about food. I don't see any fear or anxiety in any of that.

As for .NET going away. It will one day. That's how things work. I'd sure like to know what the future holds (aside from death and taxes), but the reality on the ground is that all the people who are or will be using my apps for the next several years will be running Windows 7 or 8.1 using the desktop. .NET is the way to go for that, so that is what I am writing in. When those people move to a different platform, then I'll move to a different language. They get to go first, though.

Actually, looking at survey results(thus far)

Desktop: 71.1%
    Laptop: 75.8%
    Smartphone: 64.1%
    Tablet: 36.7%

All the others have 12.5% or lower(so I'm not listing them).

I voted for tablet, too, but my tablet runs the Windows desktop.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'm not sure how this is relevant though.
    It's relevant because it implies that there is active development and support for .Net. If you're not seeing security patches for VB6 it's not because there are no vulnerabilities, it's because Microsoft aren't bothering to fix them.

You're right though, VB6 is pretty stable. It has, in fact, reached a point of total stability.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

My 2 cents:

VB6 developers (including myself back when I wrote in it) should of realized that with the evolution of technology in programming languages that when .net came out VB6 wasnt broken because it wouldnt open or convert to vb.net. Its like some have posted here that its the evolution of programming. We dont expect BASICA program to open in VB6 do we? No. So just because its a similar named language its not the same. It needs to be looked as a new separate language with similar syntax.

We all hate change but change is good if you embrace it. If we stay developing as our primary language in an out dated language then we dont grow or make ourselves marketable (and thus make more $ per hour etc).

If you are that much of a VB6 koolaid drinker then thats cool. Just dont expect MS or anyone to keep developing the language. You can always learn new languages while still developing to some degree in VB6 as needed

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

@RobDog,
    VB6 was/is a RRAD (Real Rapid Application Development), and is the best choice, imho, to produce 32-bit COM binaries. VB.NET doesn't replace this and thus can't be seen as a VB6 "evolution".

So, for who wants to keep working with COM and doesn't want to move to C++, MS doesn't provide a real alternative, and one must leave to Delphi/Lazarus or whatever, or be docked in the past (no 64-bit, no full unicode, no OOP). That's why I insist that it makes sense to move VB6 to the next level within Win32/Win64 platform, not .NET
    Last edited by Carlos Rocha; Jun 11th, 2014 at 11:21 AM.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

@RobDog,
    VB6 was/is a RRAD (Real Rapid Application Development), and is the best choice, imho, to produce 32-bit COM binaries. VB.NET doesn't replace this and thus can't be seen as a VB6 "evolution".

So, for who wants to keep working with COM and doesn't want to move to C++, MS doesn't provide a real alternative, and one must leave to Delphi/Lazarus or whatever, or be docked in the past (no 64-bit, no full unicode, no OOP). That's why I insist that it makes sense to move VB6 to the next level within Win32/Win64 platform, not .NET
    Yea I know VB6 is RAD but as I posted, you would use it when needed as you should always use the best tool for the job. Also, that if that is your only or main function at work then your good but if its a once in a while task to write a COM binary then you are not moving forward and learning the newer technologies.

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

That's why I insist that it makes sense to move VB6 to the next level within Win32/Win64 platform, not .NET
    It doesn't matter what you insist. Your opinion doesn't count for a hill of beans. Neither does mine or anyone else's in this thread. The only people who's opinions matter are the opinions of those making the strategic decisions at Microsoft and they've made it crystal clear that they disagree with you. They're not going to provide you with the tool you want. So:-
    one must leave to Delphi/Lazarus or whatever
    ...why don't you?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

...why don't you?
    One of these days Microsoft! Pow, right in the C:/

What's the deal with COM binaries, anyways? I write programs...and squeeze fish. In all these years, I've never had a need, nor heard of anybody who had a need, to create something that was special because it was a "COM binary". After a bit of searching, I realize that it's a term that has multiple definitions, so I may be thinking of something different from the rest...or not.

So, Carlos, since you are using the term, I'll let you define it and will use your definition.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    It doesn't matter what you insist. Your opinion doesn't count for a hill of beans. Neither does mine or anyone else's in this thread. The only people who's opinions matter are the opinions of those making the strategic decisions at Microsoft and they've made it crystal clear that they disagree with you. They're not going to provide you with the tool you want. So:-
    ...why don't you?
    So relevant and right to the point. You even know what matters and how MS thinks internally. I'm impressed

Hyperactive Member

What's the deal with COM binaries, anyways? I write programs...and squeeze fish. In all these years, I've never had a need, nor heard of anybody who had a need, to create something that was special because it was a "COM binary". After a bit of searching, I realize that it's a term that has multiple definitions, so I may be thinking of something different from the rest...or not.

So, Carlos, since you are using the term, I'll let you define it and will use your definition.
    ActiveX DLLs, ActiveX OCXs, ActiveX EXEs. They can be consumed from almost any programming language, including mine. And there's a market out there for them, and some COM products are already 64-bit

You even know what matters and how MS thinks internally
    I assume that was sarcasm so I'll respond. I've used your definition of "what matters". You've laid it out enough times including in these two sentences.
    VB6 was/is a RRAD (Real Rapid Application Development), and is the best choice, imho, to produce 32-bit COM binaries.
    one must leave to Delphi/Lazarus or whatever
    I don't think I've put an interpretation on that or spun it in any way. You've been quite clear.

As for what MS thinks internally, again, they've been extremely clear and explicit. They're not bringing back VB6. They're not enhancing VB6. They've given a very public and lengthy statement to that effect. Again, I don't think I'm putting any interpretation or spin on that. They've been quite clear.

So given that you know this:-
    move VB6 to the next level within Win32/Win64 platform
    ...is not available as an option (at least, not if you're expecting MS to deliver it) I ask again: why don't you switch to something else?

As I see it here are your options:-
    1. Continue to use VB6 and "be docked in the past (no 64-bit, no full unicode, no OOP)" (your words, not mine)
    2. Switch to an alternative language (I'd recommend .Net but I know you don't agree so source an alternative yourself).
    3. Wait for someone else to update VB6 (It won't be MS but there are various Open Source projects out there that might come to fruition)
    4. Update it yourself or get involved in an existing Open Source project

This, however, is not an option:-
    5. Wait for MS to update it

So now you know what your options are (and aren't).

Pick one.

If this were my forum, I'd ban you for continuously and deliberately posting misleading information. Its posts like this that kept me in VB6 for as long as I stayed. There were a couple apps that would have benefited greatly if I wrote them in VB.Net instead of VB6 but no, I actually believed nonsense like this and missed out.

First of all, VB.Net can produce COM servers and COM clients. In fact, I produced a small COM server in VB.Net to enhance a VB6 app. I needed the abilities of SMO which can work with SQL Server 2005. VB6 only offered DMO which I discovered has major trouble working with SQL Server 2005. The SMO libraries were only available as .Net assemblies so I wrote the app in VB.Net and exported the functionality as COM classes. It works flawlessly to this day.

Secondly, if you're so hot on ActiveX, know that VC++ is a far superior tool for producing all manner of COM servers, more so than VB6 ever was. You can write the IDL yourself if you're building a COM server in VC++. This gives you much finer control. VB6 doesn't expose this to you. If this is soooo important to you then you should learn how to do it in VC++. I dabbled in it myself and successfully produced a COM server in C++ that a VB6 app can consume. Its not easy but its not really that difficult either. I recommend this as the best option. For you to make that ridiculous statement that MS didn't provide any alternatives for creating COM apps is blatantly false. VB6 can do it fine. VB.Net can do it fine. VC++ can do it best.

You want to move to Delphi or Lazarus or whatever, then do so, but stop spreading this misinformation.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I assume that was sarcasm so I'll respond. I've used your definition of "what matters". You've laid it out enough times including in these two sentences.

I don't think I've put an interpretation on that or spun it in any way. You've been quite clear.

As for what MS thinks internally, again, they've been extremely clear and explicit. They're not bringing back VB6. They're not enhancing VB6. They've given a very public and lengthy statement to that effect. Again, I don't think I'm putting any interpretation or spin on that. They've been quite clear.
    Yes, it was sarcasm, glad you found it. My english is getting better.
    I know they are not bringing back VB6, what I was hoping is that they could develop it to the next level, not with an "interpreted" VB like in the old days.

So given that you know this:-
    ...is not available as an option (at least, not if you're expecting MS to deliver it) I ask again: why don't you switch to something else?

As I see it here are your options:-
    1. Continue to use VB6 and "be docked in the past (no 64-bit, no full unicode, no OOP)" (your words, not mine)
    2. Switch to an alternative language (I'd recommend .Net but I know you don't agree so source an alternative yourself).
    3. Wait for someone else to update VB6 (It won't be MS but there are various Open Source projects out there that might come to fruition)
    4. Update it yourself or get involved in an existing Open Source project

This, however, is not an option:-
    5. Wait for MS to update it

So now you know what your options are (and aren't).

Pick one.
    Good advice, I could never get there by myself, thank you.

PS: Like many others you keep saying that .NET is a language, but it isn't. It's a bloated "framework", just like women bags.

Did you run out of arguments so you had to resort to the old "The framework is big" statement? From what I understand with .NET Native(discussed on Page 1 of this thread!) will be getting rid of that argument too.

what I was hoping is that they could develop it to the next level, not with an "interpreted" VB like in the old days
    They're not going to. They've told you they're not going to. That was option 5 on my list and clearly marked as not an option. You have 4 options. Pick one.

Here is an article written back in 2006 about MS's decision to stop development of VB6 and focus on .Net. I think all the VB6 cry babies should read it.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast