Page 1555 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 55510551455150515451552155315541555155615571558156516051655 ... LastLast
Results 62,161 to 62,200 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I am at Boy Scout camp for vigil night.
    Ah, a vigilante.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I was at Camp Edgewood which is close to DeQuincy, LA so kind of further north. It got done to the upper-20's and we actually had ice on the ground. In fact there are large metal poles to keep vehicles from driving over a certain plot of land and inside the poles were frozen icesicles!!!
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

It was in the upper 70s yesterday. But today its cold down into the 60s with a big rain storm. Glad I patched up the leak around the skylight on my GF's roof.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

You wouldn't want your GF's soffits to get soggy I guess...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

So, you saw fit to hang out your shingle, or were you just getting caulky?

Nawh I think I sealed it quite well. No leaks or drips and shes quite happy now
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Rain... in California?!

Yup! Go figure! Couple of days this week we will have some rain (not downpours like back east but still enough to create havoc for drivers lol).

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Rain is to California as snow is to Louisiana!

Whats this snow you are talking about?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

A mystical white, powdery substance that will not land you any jail time.

Or it's the mystical white, powdery substance that will land you jail time.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

It's the mystical, white, powdery substance that landed me on my butt twice, yesterday. My boots were TERRIBLE for that snow. I should have just stuck with sneakers, despite the new snow being a bit deep. I had some good snow boots, but they disintegrated last year and I didn't bother replacing them because....snow in Boise is so rare.

Well, THAT wasn't a good plan.

Why not snow shoes?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I considered cross country skiis, but couldn't think what I'd do with them while in the store. The boots that disintegrated were my snow shoe boots, so until I replace those, snow shoes won't work quite so well....and I still wouldn't have a place to put them.

So, it got up around 40 degrees for a couple days, and rained steadily. That wasn't enough to melt the snow, but it was enough to turn it all to slush. Instead of several inches of hard packed snow and ice on the roads, we ended up with several inches of mushy slush that cars could easily sink into. Perhaps because of that, perhaps by chance, the city decided to plow my neighborhood yesterday evening. Since it was residential, with lots of vehicles parked on the street, they just did one pass in each direction, which left rows of massive slush/snow boulders lining the streets and blocking in all the cars. They didn't plow the cul-de-sac that I live on, so they left those snow boulders right across the mouth of the street. I saw some people moving them by hand to get their car into the road, but by the time I got some boots on, they had made it past.

Now the road is a bunch of deep canyons gouged into the saturated slush all the way down to the pavement. The ridges of snow can be eight to ten inches high, with vertical walls. Each car moves them a bit, or fills one while creating another. That would be fine, except that tonight the temperature will drop, and we'll not get up near freezing for the next week, with lows in the single digits. That will make the street pretty nearly impassable, as that slush will freeze to solid ice, trapping the canyons into whatever current configuration they happen to have attained.

A buddy of mine hasn't been in to work for a few days because he can't get his car past the end of his driveway. I may be in the same situation by tomorrow.

What a total mess.

I always wondered what do poeple do when they cant get in to work because of the snow. Do they lose a day of pay? Have to use sick day? Company has a snowey day fund?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

They sent everybody home early twice so far this year. They do that when the roads are so nasty that people shouldn't be driving. Of course, folks are already at work by the time they make the decision, so you're kind of hosed anyways. Still, they do have a code for that. Who pays I couldn't say. Didn't matter to me. I saw that the roads were sure to be horrid and telecommuted each of those days. No special leave for me.

So being a west coaster I always figured it could be a hardship on a company if they had to pay employees to stay home and a hardship on employees if the company didnt pay them for snow days

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

If you are salary paid - like a weekly amount - the company takes a hit when there is a snow day.

If you work as a teacher you have a contract for 180 teaching days - you will make up that snow day with the kids. No extra $$'s in the long run - you signed a contract for your annual pay for the school year.

If you are a custodian at some school - you are paid for hours worked - you get nothing for the snow day and your employer does not lose anything either.

If you own a restaurant and you get 3 or 4 Friday/Saturday night snow events in a row you might actually find yourself in a bigger financial problem...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

So it sucks to live where it snows lol.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Most of the contract jobs I've had last few years at least had the option of working remotely and a couple have been all remote due to the distances involved. No excuses for being snowed in or sick.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    I'm sure you would hate it. Imagine having to park your Mustang and drive a beater car or truck for 4-5 months every year like I do!

But for those of us who grew up here it's no big deal. I lived in Chicago for a few years where they get a lot less snow but it's always a lot more cold & windy. I prefer the lake effect snow and milder temps here (not to mention the cost of living.)

Now it's a freaky 60F with temps expected to drop well below freezing in the next 24 hours. Glad we don't get these wild temp swings in the summer...
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

I wouldnt take a job that had bad weather or bad parking lol. I even get to work early just to get prime parking at the end of an aisle or next to the never used handicap spots up front

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by homer13j View Post
    Now it's a freaky 60F with temps expected to drop well below freezing in the next 24 hours. Glad we don't get these wild temp swings in the summer...
    This is the story for Louisiana's winter. We always have it to where one day it is nice in the low 70s and then the next day it is in the 40s and then in a few days it warms back up only to repeat next week.

Our 5 day forecast looks good, though a little wet:

Day: High/Low Rain%
    Today: 76/62 20%
    Tomorrow: 75/61 50%
    Saturday: 74/60 10%
    Sunday: 74/63 20%
    Monday: 75/63 60%

Our 5 days is:

Today: 56/41 40%
    Tomorrow: 42/19 10%
    Saturday: 30/25 10%
    Sunday: 40/24 0%
    Monday: 40/34 10%

It was 5 degrees in the morning Monday and Tuesday of this past week...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Our five day forecast is sunny and COLD.

So, I got stuck trying to get into my driveway yesterday evening. All-wheel drive Subaru with good studded snow tires, and I was spinning the wheels without being able to move. I ended up getting out and adjusting the snow by one of the wheels. I thought I'd have to shovel out the others, as well, but wanted to be as quick as possible, since I was broadside across the road, at the time. That little bit was enough to force my way through into the driveway.

However, the temperatures dropped considerably, and all the slush has frozen into a strange ridge/valley tableau of ice, much of which is higher than the bottom of my car. I'm not at all sure that I could get to the plowed road, especially without tearing parts off the bottom of the car. Even if I did get out, I'd never get back in, so I'm stuck.

Might have to take a sledge to the ice later on, and try to knock down the bigger ridges, cause there's no change in sight for the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Might have to take a sledge to the ice later on, and try to knock down the bigger ridges, cause there's no change in sight for the next week.
    Just buy a couple of bags of this stuff:

Name:  3a8d3491-6424-43f2-98be-f10ed7ffef96_400.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  23.9 KB
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel

I'd need MANY bags. The ice is about a foot thick, maybe more.

My rough road building worked.

Upon further thought, it would be pretty funny to melt a path to my driveway, considering how deep the ice is. I wouldn't do it, since it would quite rightly piss off all the neighbors, but it would be a hoot. I'd be able to get to my house, everybody else would have a canyon they'd have to cross to get to their houses.

Another day of rain and cold, almost into the 50's -_-

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I always wondered what do poeple do when they cant get in to work because of the snow.
    like Shaggy i dial in remotely, i had to do that for a whole week a few years back but not recently.

Well that depends ... if you like Skiiing / Snowboarding or not !

I do remember that a while back my Dad did a contract job over in Finland which he said was the coldest place he had visited. He said basically the locals dealt with the weather by using Sledges and Vodka!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I reckon the snowball fights in LA must be a bit of a washout.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

L.A. is going to have some stiff football competition now: Raiders, Chargers, and Rams.

Piling on.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    L.A. is going to have some stiff football competition now: Raiders, Chargers, and Rams.
    The Raiders play in Oakland, and will soon call Las Vegas home.

Edit: and I wouldn't call the Rams ("Scrams" LOL) or Chargers (putting the "1" in Cleveland's 1-15 season) "stiff football competition."
    Last edited by homer13j; Jan 13th, 2017 at 03:50 PM.

Perhaps not, but at least their fans will be stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I reckon the snowball fights in LA must be a bit of a washout.
    Nawh, a 1 hour drive up the mountains and its snow

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by homer13j View Post
    The Raiders play in Oakland, and will soon call Las Vegas home.

Edit: and I wouldn't call the Rams ("Scrams" LOL) or Chargers (putting the "1" in Cleveland's 1-15 season) "stiff football competition."
    Both the Chargers and Lams have made recent changes in hopes of having a "decent" winning record next year. My bet is still on the Las Vegas Raiders

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Nawh, a 1 hour drive up the mountains and its snow
    That's normally how it is for us, too, though not this year.

We just had record rainfall last week and for Nocal they are officially out of the 5 year drought. Our local mountains received 1 foot of powder thursday and everyone is flocking to the mountains to ski n snowboard. Socal still in drought though

I "may" wash my car today as it looks no rain for a week. *crossing fingers*

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Page 1555 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 55510551455150515451552155315541555155615571558156516051655 ... LastLast