Thread: [RESOLVED] Help With SP6 Toolbar

Resolved [RESOLVED] Help With SP6 Toolbar

Hello,
    Ive created a floating tool bar with a single drop down button and some sub items. How do I go about adding a bitmap to each of the sub items, as well as a checked field. Im guessing I need to use the windows APIs?
    Im having a bit of a hard time getting started with it, does any one have any examples on it?

Re: Help With SP6 Toolbar

I think he has used Windows Common Controls Toolbar (SP6).

The button menu is a 'normal' menu. When you click the buttongroup, the oolbar sends a WM_INITMENUPOPUP message.

If you subclass the toolbar, you can get hwnd of the popup menu from WM_INITMENUPOPUP message. Then you can modify the menuitems as you like.

here (post#18 onwards) are examples of similar code for external applications. Those codes uses 'Hooking', but as the toolbar is in your own application, it will be a LOT easier in your case. You can do what you want by using 'normal subclassing'.
    Usefull VBF Threads/Posts I Found . My flickr page .
    "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner

Thanks, but when I try to use either GetSubMenu(Toolbar1.hwnd, 0), or getmenu(Toolbar1.hwnd), I get 0. Am I supposed to be using a different API call? Or am I passing the wrong argument?

Quote Originally Posted by iPrank
    The button menu is a 'normal' menu. When you click the buttongroup, the oolbar sends a WM_INITMENUPOPUP message...
    Perhaps, but in reality since it's built into a dll its behavior is completely different despite the visual similarities.

DO NOT use ToolBar1.hWnd. If you get the toolbar's hWnd by FindWindow, you'll be able to subclass it correctly.

I've success fully added bitmap to button menus by subclassing this hWnd. Will try SetMenuItemInfo when I return.

vb Code:
    1. Private Sub Form_Load()
    3.     Dim hToolbar20WndClass As Long
    4.     Dim hMsVbLibToolBar As Long ' The "correct" hWnd of the toolbar
    5.     hToolbar20WndClass = FindWindowEx(Me.hwnd, 0&, "Toolbar20WndClass", vbNullString)
    6.     hMsVbLibToolBar = FindWindowEx(hToolbar20WndClass, 0&, "msvb_lib_toolbar", vbNullString)
    8.    ' Now Subclass "hMsVbLibToolBar" and listen for WM_INITMENUPOPUP
    10. End Sub
    "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner

Here is a sample code that adds bitmaps in a ButtonMenu.

For the CheckedMenu, I couldn't manage to find any way to successfully set MF_CHECKED.
    So, I'm using a boolean variable and a checkmark bitmap to track checked status.

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for, appreciate that.