Thread: Upgrade vb6 to .net? which one to install?

Hyperactive Member

Question Upgrade vb6 to .net? which one to install?

I am going to upgrade from vb6 to vb.net. I was using vb6 for years till now. But due to some limitations i have to upgrade to vb.net.

can any one please advice me which one should i install vb2008 or vb2013? which on is best to use?

for now, only issue that cause me upgrade to vb.net is unicode support as vb6 don't support unicode

thanks in advance

best regards

Re: Upgrade vb6 to .net? which one to install?

I've used all the versions of .Net - and currently have VB2012 installed.

2012 is working good for me.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Well it really depends on what you want to do.

For me I would use 2008.

2008 does have the VB6 conversion tool though it doesn't work very well. It was removed after 2008
    2008 also allows you to develop for Windows Mobile and Windows CE devices, this was also removed after 2008

Newer versions allow you to work with the newer Windows phone and XNA

I have noticed that 2012 will not allow me to work with SERVICES I created on prior versions. I've not dug into why that is yet...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post

For me I would use 2008.

2008 does have the VB6 conversion tool though it doesn't work very well.
    dear sir, oh! i am going to install/use vb2010 but doesn't that support vb6 to .net conversation (to vb2010 version), if not then how i can convert my vb6 projects, because it is complete impossible to write them from scratch

please guide me sir, what should i do?

thanks for your reply and also thanks in advance for your upcoming reply

best regards

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    2008 does have the VB6 conversion tool though it doesn't work very well. It was removed after 2008
    @Shohag_ifas - did you not see this statement? The VB6 conversion tool did not work very well - but by all means give it a try.

In my opinion it's necessary to re-write code in a new language / platform. The differences are substantial and you want to take advantage of new features.

But until you get started you will not know what these are.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I also had to change to VB.net at the end of last year because vb6 didn't support MYSQL on my 64bit system.

I changed to VS2013 and had to convert my vb6 project into VS2013 completely by hand.

I programmed at the vb6 project for about 2 months and it took me about 2 weeks to convert it into VS2013

The most time I needed to find out the correct syntax in VS2013. So now i am quit fit in VS2013 and I woud do the same job within 2-3 days

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by WalterPohl View Post
    I also had to change to VB.net at the end of last year because vb6 didn't support MYSQL on my 64bit system.
    For the archives (just trying to fight "myths in the making") - VB6 has no problems with a MySql-64Bit-ServerInstallation
    (on a 64Bit OS), when this 32Bit-Application (the VB6-IDE, or your own compiled VB6-executables) use the proper 32-Bit-ClientDll-Layer.

In our case the queue goes like this:

32Bit-Process -> 32Bit ADO-COM-libs -> 32Bit MySQL ODBC-driver-libs -> ... socket-based-transferchannel ... -> 64Bit MySQL-Server-Installation.

Or in case you use a MySQL-OleDB-Driver, then you can exchange the part with "32Bit MySQL ODBC-driver-libs" above.

Olaf

Hyperactive Member

ok. i think i should learn .net instead of conversation my code form vb6 to .net. So, can anyone guide any eBook or online source i can learn .net easily (vb2010) and faster without interupting my current skill on vb6?

thanks in advance..

best regards

Personally I believe that between the online MSDN documentation - and a forum like this - you will have all you need.

I did at one point get a WROX book called VISUAL STUDIO 2010 - mostly because I wanted to know how to exploit the IDE user interface better. I only used the first few chapters and probably could have found out what I needed faster by posting questions here.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Yep I bought a few books early on [before VB.Net 2003 was released] Did not end up using them much. I found the online documentation more helpful than the books and the internet is a great resource.
    Most of my work in .Net has been on Windows Mobile and Windows CE based devices so I mainly use 2003-2008 versions