Thread: [RESOLVED] Datagridview move cell value up/down

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Datagridview move cell value up/down

Hi,

I have been searching high and low but am not really find the answer to my exact scenario and my other thread about drag and drop is probably going to run into another dead end as well..So I am try to think of an alternative.

I have a table that is bound to a data source.

- ContextID
    - RiskID
    - RiskNumber
    - Event

I want to move the rows up and down in the datagridview. What I do is to "sort" based on "RiskNumber" - So if I chage the RiskNumber, the datagridview will automatically sort accordingly.

So if I click the button "UP" it must basically swap the current RiskNumber with the RiskNumber above it. When I click DOWN button it must swap the current RiskNumber with the RiskNumber below.

If I select a bottom row and keep on clicking "UP" it must keep on doing that (swapping) untill it reach the top of the DataGridview....

I cannot figure out how to do this....

I can get the current row RiskNumber:

Code:
    Dim currentRiskNumber As String = TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Item("DataGridViewTextBoxColumn7", TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.CurrentRow.Index).Value

I can get RiskNumber above:

Code:
    Dim RiskNumberAbove As String = TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Item("DataGridViewTextBoxColumn7", TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.CurrentRow.Index - 1).Value
    I can get RiskNumber below:

Code:
    Dim RiskNumberBelow As String = TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Item("DataGridViewTextBoxColumn7", TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.CurrentRow.Index + 1).Value
    I cannot figure out how to swop it.....
    Last edited by schoemr; Aug 23rd, 2019 at 05:53 AM.

Re: Datagridview move cell value up/down

If the .Value property is writeable, you can do this:
    Code:
    TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Item(...).Value = newValue
    By the way, as the .Value property is probably not a String, you should use the more generic Object data type for those variables.

Frenzied Member

Thank you very much SI

So this is what I have done. Maybe some day this can help someone. I know there will probably be better ways but this works. Also I still have to figure out what to do if the datagridview row reach the top / bottom row (to prevent out of range exception)

This is to move a cell value down:

Code:
     'Get the current risk number
            Dim currentRiskNumber As Integer = TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Item("DataGridViewTextBoxColumn7", TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.CurrentRow.Index).Value

'Get the risk number below
            Dim riskNumberBelow As Integer = TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Item("DataGridViewTextBoxColumn7", TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.CurrentRow.Index + 1).Value

'Set the current risk number to the risk number below
            Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentRiskNumber - 1).Cells(2).Value = riskNumberBelow

'Set the risk number below to the risk number above
            Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(RiskNumberBelow - 1).Cells(2).Value = currentRiskNumber

'Get the current row position
            Dim currentPosition = TblRiskAssessmentBindingSource.Position

'Unselect the current row 
            TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.ClearSelection()

'Sort 
            Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Sort(TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Columns(2), System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Ascending)

'Select the new row (row below) - so that you move along as you click
            TblRiskAssessmentBindingSource.Position = currentPosition + 1

Also, the datagridview is supposed to sort automatically (and it is not) because I have ORDER BY clause. So I still have to figure out why. That is why I in this example above do the sort programatically.

Code:
    SELECT        RiskID, ContextID, RiskNumber, Event
    FROM            tblRiskAssessment
    WHERE        (ContextID = @ContextID)
    ORDER BY RiskNumber
    Last edited by schoemr; Aug 23rd, 2019 at 07:38 AM.

Your use of currentRiskNumber and RiskNumberBelow to index Rows() makes assumptions about the data that might not always be true (such as if a bug occurs, or requirements change later).

It would be better to use CurrentRow.Index instead, which can also make the code a bit more readable, eg:
    Code:
            Dim currentIndex As Integer = Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.CurrentRow.Index

'Get the risk number from the current row
            Dim currentRiskNumber As Object = Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex).Cells(2).Value

'Copy the value from the other row to the current row
            Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex).Cells(2).Value = Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex - 1).Cells(2).Value

'Paste the original value of the current row to the other row
            Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex - 1).Cells(2).Value = currentRiskNumber
    If you want, you can also use a With block to make the code easier to read (anything inside the With block that starts with a dot refers to the With object):
    Code:
            With Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView

Dim currentIndex As Integer = .CurrentRow.Index

Dim currentRiskNumber As Object = .Rows(currentIndex).Cells(2).Value

'Copy the value from the other row to the current row
              .Rows(currentIndex).Cells(2).Value = .Rows(currentIndex - 1).Cells(2).Value

'Paste the original value of the current row to the other row
              .Rows(currentIndex - 1).Cells(2).Value = currentRiskNumber 

End With
    I don't know why it isn't sorting automatically (it's been a long time since I did WinForms), but hopefully somebody else will be able to help with that.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Aug 23rd, 2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo

Frenzied Member

Hi

I am getting a Index out of range exception here:

Code:
      Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex).Cells(2).Value = Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex - 1).Cells(2).Value

What is the value of currentIndex at the time it happens?

I suspect it is 0, so currentIndex - 1 wont be a valid row index.

To avoid that, don't allow moving up when the current row index is 0 (and no moving down when it is equal to Rows.Count - 1).

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by schoemr View Post
    Also I still have to figure out what to do if the datagridview row reach the top / bottom row (to prevent out of range exception)
    Simply check for that condition first. If they select down and they are already on the bottom row, Exit Sub.

Also, the datagridview is supposed to sort automatically (and it is not) because I have ORDER BY clause. So I still have to figure out why. That is why I in this example above do the sort programatically.
    It seems your code is modifying the DGV values, but that is not updating the underlying datasource. I usually do things manually, so I would be modifying the datasource and then refresh the DGV.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Hello,

Another idea is to work against a int column which not only permits ordering via up/down buttons but also remembers the order when showing the DataGridView each time.

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Move...7fe786?redir=0

Name:  DataGridview.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  36.2 KB

Hello,

Another idea is to work against a int column which not only permits ordering via up/down buttons but also remembers the order when showing the DataGridView each time.

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Move...7fe786?redir=0

Name:  DataGridview.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  36.2 KB

Frenzied Member

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your reply. I actually find this work you did some time ago when I was searching on how to do this. But I assumed there something wrong with the download because I could not load it:

Attachment 170645

Frenzied Member

So manage to make it work, but I can not make it to keep on working!!!!!!

I want to move "a" down to bottom:

Attachment 170647

Then after 3 clicks "a" is at the bottom:

Attachment 170649

At this point it is worked as the way I want. But now I want to move "b" down:

Attachment 170651

It only gets to here and then no matter how many time I click it stays here:

Attachment 170653

Code:
         'Get current index
            Dim currentIndex As Integer = Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.CurrentRow.Index
            Dim currentRiskNumber As Object = Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex).Cells(2).Value

'Get the risk number from the row below
            Dim RiskNumberBelow As Object = Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex + 1).Cells(2).Value

'Swap

MsgBox("Risk Number below: " & RiskNumberBelow & vbCrLf & "Current Risk Number: " & currentRiskNumber & vbCrLf & "Current Index: " & currentIndex)

Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex + 1).Cells(2).Value = currentRiskNumber
            Me.TblRiskAssessmentDataGridView.Rows(currentIndex).Cells(2).Value = RiskNumberBelow

TblRiskAssessmentBindingSource.EndEdit()

MsgBox("Risk Number below: " & RiskNumberBelow & vbCrLf & "Current Risk Number: " & currentRiskNumber & vbCrLf & "Current Index: " & currentIndex)

Do you get the correct amount of MsgBox's?

Do they show the values you would expect every time?

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your reply. I actually find this work you did some time ago when I was searching on how to do this. But I assumed there something wrong with the download because I could not load it:

Attachment 170645
    Been away all day, just did a download without any issues extracting the solution. I just placed the solution on GitHub.

https://github.com/karenpayneoregon/...wsUpDown_VBNET

Hello Karen,

Attachment 170645
    Been away all day, just did a download without any issues extracting the solution. I just placed the solution on GitHub.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by kareninstructor View Post

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much