Thread: Windows 7 Email Client

Fanatic Member

Windows 7 Email Client

I just switched from XP to Windows 7 (I know it's outdated but that's what I'm using for now).
    The first thing I noticed is the missing Outlook Express that I was using for email so my question is, is there another application that I can run on W7 that will replace OE and behave similar to OE?

Re: Windows 7 Email Client

Have you tried Mozilla Thunderbird email client? See https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ There's also Office Outlook if you have a version of Office installed that has this.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Frenzied Member

I use Thunderbird. A quick search pulls up this alternative, but I know nothing about it so make sure you check out lots of reviews first to make sure it's safe.

Fanatic Member

I also use Thunderbird.
    However, one thing I have experienced is if you have a number of emails (actual # unknown -- my guess around 100, and/or # and size of email may be the trigger),
    Thunderbird automatically deletes ALL emails. I've had this happen about 6 times and never found a solution. Thunderbird asks if you want to compact, if I say No,
    then if just starts automatically scrolling emails from top to bottom erasing them
    without anyway to stop or interrupt the process. Recommend you transfer emails to local folders you want to keep before you let them build up.

Fanatic Member

I just tried Thunderbird. Looks a lot like Outlook. I don't like either one. They don't give me the feature I need which is to view the source without opening the email. Outlook Express has a Property which allows me to view and inspect the details of the email and the email stays in the unopened status. Now I see where you can look at the source using Thunderbird but how can you do that without opening the email

What's the issue with opening an email? Malicious code? Then set settings so that the email is viewed as text-only. That won't cause any problems. Then if you're happy you then then view it as HTML.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by vb6forever View Post
    I also use Thunderbird.
    However, one thing I have experienced is if you have a number of emails (actual # unknown -- my guess around 100, and/or # and size of email may be the trigger),
    Thunderbird automatically deletes ALL emails. I've had this happen about 6 times and never found a solution. Thunderbird asks if you want to compact, if I say No,
    then if just starts automatically scrolling emails from top to bottom erasing them
    without anyway to stop or interrupt the process. Recommend you transfer emails to local folders you want to keep before you let them build up.
    Interesting. I've never had this happen and I have lots of emails in some accounts. Perhaps because I rarely choose NO anymore when it asks to compact since I have increased that setting to 10MB. It could be a new bug.

There's a setting to clear out anything over a certain number of days old so maybe you got that set accidentally?

I did have my entire inbox of my largest account deleted once but that was because I fat-fingered a keystroke while going too fast. Had to go into the underlying files manually and undo the marked for deletion flag before it compacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Code Dummy View Post
    I just tried Thunderbird. Looks a lot like Outlook. I don't like either one. They don't give me the feature I need which is to view the source without opening the email. Outlook Express has a Property which allows me to view and inspect the details of the email and the email stays in the unopened status. Now I see where you can look at the source using Thunderbird but how can you do that without opening the email
    Isn't it Ctrl-U in Thunderbird (or View > Message Source in the toolbar)? It can be done in Outlook if you wish to add a registry key.